Home General Freshwater Fishing

Learning to Fish in WPB

KalemCKalemC LoxahatcheePosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hey Guys, 

I decided I wanted to give fishing a shot, so the last couple of weeks i've been going out a few times a week. I been to Lake Ida and Lake Osborne and cannot catch anything other than weeds. I mainly go in the last afternoon and use soft plastics on a texas rig. Any advice to finally catch a fish.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,607 Moderator
    Welcome aboard KalemC !  Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Are you fishing from a boat ?
     Could be a lot of things , color of bait , size weight , depth , type of cover ?  Give us a little more info and we will try to tune things in hopefully.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • KalemCKalemC LoxahatcheePosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Fishing from the bank. Typically run black or green pumpkin colored bait. 1/4oz weight. I try to fish bridges trees, or logs that i can see.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 371 Deckhand
    As a newbie, it's good to have some early success.  Try a free lined shiner on a  # 4 circle hook or  wide gap shiner hook and 12-15 lb flourocarbon leader. Pitch it around and under bridges in Osborne /Ida . Peacock bass , which are your best bet in this heat don't much like a Texas rigged worm but they are suckers for shiner as are large mouths. If you opt for the circle hook, remember not to set the hook like you see on tv bass shows. Just reel down till you come tight and then lift the rod. After you've caught some fish you can experiment with artificials. Small Rapala shad raps and Rattle traps imitate the shad that are common in Ida. If you go to artificials, crimp down all the barbs on every hook. Easier on the fish and on you when one shakes a plug into your hand .Have fun.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,607 Moderator
    Fish later (close to dark) and use a lighter weight. Troutbom has good advise. ^^
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Dog days are upon us. It is tough fishing right now. 
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 249 Deckhand
    In regards to weight, try no weight and the soft plastic bait will crawl over the weeds and get slammed without getting tangled.

Also try one of those hollow-body frog lures! It is exciting when bass hits them topwater
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 249 Deckhand
    One other thing that has worked for me over the years "urban" fishing is that it can be extremely productive to fish the smaller canal banks and shallow coves that are sheltered.

Those small canals can hold pretty big fish and are fun on light tackle. Using unweighted soft plastic 6.5-8" worm is good start. Culprit brand of worms in dark colors (black, red shad, moccasin) and lighter colors (pumpkinseed or chartreuse) have produced well for me.

Also make sure the soft plastic bait and hook are rigged STRAIGHT with no bends or twists on the worm. You will not catch anything unless your rig is STRAIGHT.

One last thing if you are not catching fish is you may want to slow your retrieve down!!

Hope this helps