Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Worth sharing - Holiday struggles...

The wife and I were talking on the way to the St.Pius Playoff game last night - your's truly was stating how Black Friday was what it was and all the "stuff" people buy this time of year - kinda being a bit of a Holiday downer _ making mention that Thanksgiving was my fav Holiday over Christmas because of all presents were just "more stuff", etc. Anyway, been trying hard to "gear up" for years on Christmas and get in the Spirit - just have been fallen off the mark of late.

I awake this am, to my daily devotional from Charles Stanley - God does speak through other people.

"The Enemy wants to steal your happiness this and every Christmas by making the season about everything except Jesus’ birth and His reason for coming.

Some folks find these next several weeks to be a very difficult time of year. Loneliness, financial pressures, unfulfilled dreams, and unmet expectations understandably can dampen a person’s spirit during a season when we all should be rejoicing. But by keeping our eyes on the One who has given us all things, we can focus on what cannot be taken from us rather than on what we don’t have."

I'm talking "game on" now. Hope this may help someone else...Happy Holidays, footman.

signed: I consider the fellowship on NW a true blessing.
Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...

Replies

• wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    :thumbsup

God, family, and charity for those who are truly in need. That's Christmas.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • JFSJFS Posts: 115 Officer
    Thanks !
    I needed that .....
  • Beau DarvilleBeau Darville Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    You go to Northpoint, right? Signing up always helps me to keep grounded when I hear "How many gifts did you get this Christmas". I challenge anyone in the Atlanta area to help out during the Christmas season to give or volunteer, even if you don't believe in Jesus.

Main page
    http://howtoberich.org

Sign-up page
    http://howtoberich.org/serve

Thanks,
    Just another fellow sinner
  • DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    The true meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birth if Christ. Have you ever had a birthday party? If guests came to your birthday party and brought gifts for everyone except you, you might feel put out. The true meaning of Christmas has manipulated into a retailers windfall and people get so out of kilter over unrealistic expectations brought on marketing and our culture.
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Thanks for posting this David.

Along these lines, I loved the introduction in Mike Huckabee's A Simple Christmas. It describes the birth of Christ as it probably ACTUALLY happened; not all sanitized as we see in the church plays every Christmas. A terrified virgin teenage girl giving birth in a cave full of farm animals and animal poop with only her teenage boyfriend there for help... If you don't have the book stop by a book shelf in a book store and just read this part. It's well worth the few minutes it will take. Actually the whole book was a great book and brought back the "simple" Christmas feelings for me.
  • The Ola FlashThe Ola Flash Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Bigfoot you have hit the nail on the head. Have to remember the reason for the season. Always like Huckabees insight also. He was my man in the last election but I think he was a little too evangelical for the mainstream. Good post,,,,,,Thanks
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    :thumbsup Good post
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    :thumbsup Good post
    good post indeed
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,376 Admiral
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns. It has truly been taken out of kilter by what you have, what you don't have and what you need. When in fact you have all you need in Jesus, Family and Friends. This is a depressing time for some because we by in large have taken our eyes off the prize, the prize of knowing Jesus. The one who died that we might have life. Thanks again I needed that word.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.