Owner hooks snapping in half on tarpon

I've been using 6/0 mutu light hooks for drifting crabs and threadies for a few years now. I'm having a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I've had 6 hooks this year snap clean in half right at the bend in the hook as a tarpon jumps, a few others in years past. And some of the fish had plenty of slack as they jumped too. Tonight the fish was only about 80 lbs, and even with a solid amount of slack in the line and lightening up as it got close to the boat, the hook snapped on the last jump. I don't fish an overly tight drag, just 7-10 lbs and the fish didn't even pull drag as it thrashed this time. Problem is I really like the hook up ratio on these hooks and the fact that I can usually put a solid amount of heat on the fish if I have to without bending the hook out. Anyone have the same problem or any recommendations? Think I may be trying trokars next. This is actually the fish from tonight as it jumped and snapped the hook, had someone filming. 

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,111 Captain
    Mustad 7/0 39951BLN
    Recommended to me by tarponator if I remember correctly.  Best hook I've tried and I've stuck with them for a few years now... no reason to change.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    I've tried them I just don't like how easy they bend! This spot in particular is very deep, and the tarpon have a bad habit of diving deep directly beneath the boat, forcing me to put a lot of pressure on them especially when fishing alone and not able to reverse away from the fish. I bent those things out on a slot sized snook once, but I guess I'll have to give them another shot as tarponator does speak very highly of them. Thanks Keith.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,111 Captain
    Yeah I do bend them from time to time but they usually still stay hooked up.
    I've used the Diiachi D81Z 7/0 light wire hook with very good success on big fish with mullet... but it is a HUGE hook... like a 12/0 for most other manufacturers. Their claim of 'light wire' is a joke... it's friggin huge.  For some reason though it works... I'll use them if I'm pretty close to structure and absolutely have to put a ton of pressure on fish.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,250 AG
    edited June 19 #5
    I would venture to guess your Owner hooks got wet or otherwise subjected to moisture.  Have had the problem myself and know others who had similar problems with them snapping.

I'd strongly suggest changing hooks and going to the aforementioned Mustad 39951BLN.    You can straighten them, and you can even break them, but they stick and hold better than any hook that I've experimented with.

The 9/0 size is considerably thicker wire -- you might try that if you don't like the more bendable 7/0.

The next best hook I've tried is the Trokar circle -- but they don't stick quite as well and are rather heavy, which I don't prefer (I like to use the bendable nature of the hook for a boat side quick release), but the Trokar is a solid alternative to the Owner or Mustad you might try.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    They were right out of the package most times, but last night I used a pack out of the glovebox of the boat, so they definitely had some moisture exposure. Thanks for confirming exactly what I was thinking there.
    Sounds like my best bet is to use the Mustads on the beach and the trokars when I'm fishing deeper water alone. Thanks for the great input.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,000 Officer
    When i use owner hooks for real large crabs or big grunts, landyfish, smaller mullet, etc.. I use the  SSW in-line circle hook  7/0 5379-171 (sometimes 6/0 or 8/0 up to 10/0 depending on bait). Never had one break. Sometimes i drift baits using the owner ssw inline circle hook you snell. 
    I used Gamakatsu inline circles 7/0 and 8/0 for years because of the hookups, but lost too many to break offs, not that that really matters at some point. 
    I began using the mustads mentioned a few years back and have to say that I have not had a fish come unbuttoned nor a hook bend or break, using saragosas 10000's ( which have good strong drag), and I often palm spool at end to wrap thing up quicker, one way or another. Then again, i dont bow either. I prefer pressure til the end. When a fish jump/lands and swims hard you have to add that into the equation of drag/pressure, too. For me steady pressure helps avoid those sudden bursts after a jump, which is a fine time to put it to em even harder.

Agree with mike that they probably had moisture introduced to pack somewhere along the way. I always keep my hooks in a heavy duty ziploc, in a waterproof tackle bag or sealed container.