Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Smokey Mountains

ChiefBubbaChiefBubba Posts: 193 Deckhand
I’m thinking of doing a fly fish trip next summer to the mountains NC, TN area. Maybe a day or two with an outfitter and some by myself. Anyone have any advice for that? Outfitters, location, equipment? I’m sure it’s pretty early but with hunting if you don’t book early with good guides you ain’t getting in. Bubba

Replies

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    There is a trophy stream in Cherokee that is fun to fish and easy enough to figure out without a guide. I fished it last year with my brother and we did pretty good minus him breaking off a few big trout. The Tuskasegee River is also near there which can fish well. I would get a guide for it. I am not sure of any guides in that area but I am sure a quick google search will turn up some. 
  • tailingendloop77tailingendloop77 Posts: 802 Officer
    The N.C. side was my backyard for 8 years. The Tuckaseegee in May can be stoopid easy, but drops off in June when opened to bait fishermen. In the Smokies, I've fished most of the creeks around Cherokee and the fishing there is better earlier than later (think June). If you want to splurge, hire a guide to take you to Hazel or Eagle Creek and overnight it. That's something I always wanted to do, but it's difficult (boat ride, pretty arduous hike).

If you want to D-I-Y, get a copy of Don Kirk's book [url]https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Fly-Fishing-Guide-Smoky-Mountains/dp/0897326911/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RSDK3C4M24JVST61GZQ5[/url] and read up over the year. That'll build up the excitement.

Equipment is easy: any 8 or 9-foot, 4 or 5-wt will do. For smaller creeks, I always fished a 7-ft rod to stay out of the bushes better. I prefer slower, limber rods because the trout are not huge. Any reel is fine - no need for a drag; 9-foot, 5X or 6X tippets and any yellow dry fly will do (caddis #12-16).
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,551 Moderator
    I've been to and fished the Tellico River from Green Cove which is on the Tennessee side, right on the Tenn/NC border in the middle of Cherokee Nat'l Forest.  It was many years ago, but went back and fished it about 3 years ago.  Still a great fishery.  I forget the days it's stocked and no fishing that day or the day after.  You can drive all along the river and pick your own spots until you get to the border and there is a pipe in the middle of the road blocking entry into NC. 

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,929 Captain
    I've been to and fished the Tellico River from Green Cove which is on the Tennessee side, right on the Tenn/NC border in the middle of Cherokee Nat'l Forest.  It was many years ago, but went back and fished it about 3 years ago.  Still a great fishery.  I forget the days it's stocked and no fishing that day or the day after.  You can drive all along the river and pick your own spots until you get to the border and there is a pipe in the middle of the road blocking entry into NC. 

OH! Now you chime in😁
    Could have driven to the other side of that pipe last week. A pretty sporty trip but we were just down Davis creek on NC side. Now I know, thanks for next time.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ChiefBubbaChiefBubba Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Thank you. Got the book and appreciate the help. Bubba
  • jkilday4jkilday4 Greeneville, TNPosts: 45 Deckhand
    I live about an hour from eastern edge of GSMNP and hike & fish it often.  Have been backcountry camping there several times, all on southern slope streams - Noland, Forney, Eagle, Hazel Creeks.  Fished some other ones too. 

Check out Little River Fly Shop online - they had a fairly active forum there as of a couple years ago any way.  They're in Townsend, TN just north of the park. Would be good for reports, gen info etc.

As for guides, I would contact Mac Brown of Bryson City, NC.  He's on facebook as 'Mac Brown Fly Fish'.  He's been at it there in the Smokies for a couple decades I reckon.  He's actually from my hometown of Greeneville, TN and I know his family - good peeps and I'm sure will be glad to help you out whether floating or wading.

Good luck!
  • ljkljk Posts: 89 Greenhorn
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand
    South Holston and Watauga Rivers in Tennessee have plenty of trout and outfitters that float each.

Just depends on whether you want stocked or wild trout.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Back when I was a kid growing up in the mountains of North Georgia (1950's) we would go up Brasstown Bald Mountain to where the present day parking lot is and fish (with spinners) the creek running down about 3 miles to the Valley close to the present day Agricultural Station on  the major highway from Dahlonega to Blairsville. We'd load up with little native "speck trout"! Have no idea what it would be like today!