Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Eleuthera DIY Bonefishing

Lostmen DanLostmen Dan Posts: 86 Deckhand
A bit of late notice, but headed over to Eleuthera next Thursday. We have a guide booked for Friday but the family is more interested in reef/offshore. I'm planning on throwing a 7 and 9wt in the bag, a couple reels, leaders and choice flies. We are staying between Gregory Town and Glass Window Bridge with a rental car. Anyone willing to share a few flats to probe for bones if time is limited?

Hoping the guide can key us in to a few things but figured it couldn't hurt to ask for some help here. I fish those Islamorada Shell Key fish pretty frequently, so versed on hard-to-feed fish. Just looking for some opportunities, pressured fish or not. Feel free to PM me rather than posting here.

Happy to exchange info on anything from Marathon to Ft. Lauderdale to Marco on in/nearshore. Have fished Flamingo for 25 years, extensive time spent in Choko, lived in Key Largo a few years and the rest tooling around w the local urban snook/tarpon in Ftl/Miami. If your'e looking to do a DIY trip to any of those places I have some good maps and guides drawn up for trade. Any help is greatly appreciated guys, thanks!
31 years old, fishing Flamingo for 32 years

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Rod Hamiltons book "Do It Yourself Bonefishing" has a wealth of information including specific spots and maps. Amazon has it and you can get it express in time for your trip. If you cant get it in time PM me with your cell and I'll forward some maps and info from book. 
  • Lostmen DanLostmen Dan Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Thanks! I've got the book was curious if anyone had been recently and had some reports or suggestions on any general patterns. Tide changes going north-south and east-west side of island. Any particular fly patterns they key in on or general tips as well. All geared up and ready to go!!

Let us know how you do!

Only got a few hrs of fishing time but found and caught. Book was helpful, bonefish knowledge in general moreso. 

Good job Dan! Was the DIY good enough to warrant a dedicated bonefish trip, no family just bones?
    Location I was fishing in had no shortage of fish. I went on two occasions on the middle of the outgoing and on the beginning-middle of the incoming tide; about 3-4 hrs apart in tide cycle. 

In 90 min and 150 min of fishing respectively I was never wading for more than about 15-20 min without a good shot at tailing or schooling fish. That being said they were not much easier to feed than a bonefish in downtown Islamorada. Granted I was nearer Harbour Island and expect the fish I was working see a fair number of flies and wade fisherman (footprints on the flat that were not mine).

Plenty of single and double tailers and schooled fish to 30 fish or so in a group. Didn't get a chance to explore but one other beach at a less than favorable tide stage and no other flats or creek systems. 

I would 100% go back for a dedicated bonefish trip. But it would be to the south end of the island where the fish are less pressured and some of the flats quite remote. I think DIY anglers with experience doing this in Bahamas could easily rack up double digits on bonefish with some decent sized specimens around. I would still highly recommend this for the guy looking to get into some good DIY fishing while with family. Its not easy but its doable. We got stuck for an extra couple days and still everyone in our party thought it was one of the better trips they have been on. 

Just be prepared for an out-island experience and I couldn't recommend it more! Feel free to PM if any one still has q's.

Thanks for info! I may try it!