Moving Down/Advice Needed

Hey all,
So finally after a long winter my wife and I are moving down to Dunedin/Palm Bay Area from Maine.  I got hired as a PE teacher at Discovery Academy of Science and I am looking forward to my new adventure.  We are looking for areas apartments or houses to rent, the issue is we have 2 dogs that are considered large dogs and yes one is the infamous mix but it is less than 25% and he is, in my wife's words "Super Sweet and A Love".  Anyways if any of you may have a lead, we are looking to rent for a year and then buy.  
Secondly:  I have a 1999 19' 6" center console with a 2006 115 4 stroke yamaha on it with only 480hours on a 2016 galvanized float on trailer, the boat has been professionally maintained by Casco Bay Yachts up here.  I am trying to sell it up here but with no luck, I don't want to trailer it down so does anyone have any recommendations on shipping it down.  I am guessing it will be good for inshore but I am looking at upgrading to something in the 25 - 30' range with twins on it in the near future so I can get further offshore.  I have been 20 miles off on my boat up here but it was a crazy calm day.  What would something like my boat get down there price wise.  I know this is a lot of info I am looking for but any help is appreciated and hopefully I see you on the water in July.  

If you are looking for a fishing buddy PM me

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,077 Moderator
    It's Palm Harbor.
  • MaineOffShoreMaineOffShore Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Thanks for  the reminder
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Hope you like lots of people. There are more people in the tampa bay area than in the state of Maine.when I left in 1994 there were 1 million people in Pineallas then. Getting covered up down here in Charlotte County now. Don't know where I will go next. 
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Stay in Maine. We are Full 😂
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,510 Moderator
    A friend went on E-Bay and found a boat transporter to move his boat from my house in New Port Richey, to Oregon.  I'd sell your boat in Maine - That Galvanized trailer will not stand up to salt water, no matter what teh manufacturer tell you
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 516 Officer
    I used u-ship when I moved here from NY 7 years ago u could give them a try ask how much the charge.
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,313 Captain
    Been to Jackman, Maine many times. Love it!

Jackman is a 'little' different from Florida:

I harvest this beautiful Buck within walking distance from the City. Trailed him for hours in heavy snow. Fantastic! 

If you look closely you can still see the Maine tag. 
    When I first hunted in Jackman the total populations was around 1,000. On my last trip it was 900. There was No red lights and only one road going through the city. 
    "There are more people in the tampa bay area than in the state of Maine."  
    To say Maine is a 'little' different could be a slight bit off. 
    Have not been back in many years. Would love to know what Maine is like today.  Any idea? 

I do not miss the snow!
    edited June 15 #10
    Have lived my entire life in Tampa. Seeing snow was really exciting to me. 
    In Jackman we often lived in cabins just like this for a couple of weeks:

What a thrill being completely snowed in during a blizzard...

Wanted to go goose hunting.  This put a stop to that...

-10 degrees, 20 foot snow banks, 30 MPH winds. NO WAY for this Florida Boy! 
    Jackman weather is much more severe than Bangor. 
    Gosh! That looks wonderful.

This is all Florida has to offer...

I'm from new York and moved to kissimmee 6 years ago the last two things NY send me off with was the 2013 ice storm and hurricane sandy so yup I don't miss the north.
    Well wife is getting a place as we speak so staying here is not an option. I love maine, the issue is there is no future. No jobs, people are moving out. Over 18 years the high school I teach at has gone from 700 kids to 450.   Grew up on a dairy farm.  People dont bother and to be honest the people I have met that "Love" the snow are; under 35, don't have to shovel or move it, and will eventually get tired of it or dont live here all the time so it is lovely.  The 2nd week in November I was deer hunting in 3' of snow and if you flew up tomorrow I could show you snow we still have up by my camp.  So how does 7 months of winter sound now.  Paid $500 a month just for heat.  Yeah not staying here, its called Vacationland for a reason.  You go vacation have fun and leave
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    My wife is from Maine.  She has bittersweet memories.  The bitter part was the cold.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 7,585 Admiral
    jay825 said:
    I'm from new York and moved to kissimmee 6 years ago the last two things NY send me off with was the 2013 ice storm and hurricane sandy so yup I don't miss the north.
    How's your Spanish coming along?
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 8,180 Admiral
    Ice fishing was about the only thing I liked about winter's up north.  

Captain Todd Approves

• Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,739 Captain
    Left Florida for the 2nd time in 2016.  It's not the same place I grew up in any more.  Only go back to visit and vacation.  Hard to imagine anyone wanting to move there.
    I know it's hard, but some how; some way...  We will make it!

• tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 390 Deckhand
    Lived here my whole life and hate living here more and more every year. Way to many people moving here and I'm tired of the hot **** summers. North Georgia/Western North Carolina will most likely be my next residence. 
    People & heat.. Love Florida but I must admit the 'People & heat' can be very hard to deal with. 
    Well wife is getting a place as we speak so staying here is not an option. I love maine, the issue is there is no future. No jobs, people are moving out. Over 18 years the high school I teach at has gone from 700 kids to 450.   Grew up on a dairy farm.  People dont bother and to be honest the people I have met that "Love" the snow are; under 35, don't have to shovel or move it, and will eventually get tired of it or dont live here all the time so it is lovely.  The 2nd week in November I was deer hunting in 3' of snow and if you flew up tomorrow I could show you snow we still have up by my camp.  So how does 7 months of winter sound now.  Paid $500 a month just for heat.  Yeah not staying here, its called Vacationland for a reason.  You go vacation have fun and leave
    Wow! my wife is a teacher and she found work fast I don't think you would have any problems in finding workwork here in Florida.
  • StratCasterStratCaster Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Teaching jobs are plentiful in Florida but the pay doesn't compare to some Northeast cities.  Welcome to the area.
    Teaching jobs are plentiful in Florida but the pay doesn't compare to some Northeast cities.  Welcome to the area.
    I agree my wife makes a little more than half the pay she was used to in NY. So get ready for a pay cut.
    I got a job at Discovery Academy of Science in Dunedin, definite pay cut but you would not believe how bad we get taxed in Maine so it wont be too bad the better half has an accounting background and will be able to make up for the pay cut, no jobs here for her, and she is a Jacksonville native ..Will be the old switch-a-roo as far as who the bread winner is.  We landed a place in Palm Harbor.  Staying in an apartment complex for a year to figure out where we want to buy.  Will always be looking for fishing buddies, you can even blind fold me if you are worried about giving up your spots😁.  I do alot of stripper fishing up here put 75 fish between 22 and 26" in the boat the last 2 days.  Leaving boat behind to sell and first order if business will be locating another boat once we get there.
    Sounds like a plan buddy!
  • JimmillJimmill Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    You could do a lot of fishing on that 20' Center Console boat in the Gulf of Mexico.  I used to own a 20' CC with 125 OB and used it in the Gulf many times. All of Tampa Bay and the close offshore reefs are easy for a 20' CC.  The Gulf is much calmer on most days than the Atlantic.  Your 20' CC is probably worth more and will sell quicker in the Gulf area than up north.  The Tampa area loves CC boats with Yamaha OB motors, they are everywhere! 

I tow my 24' WA from Ohio to the Tampa area and back every year.  I leave it near Tampa in storage from June to Sept. and come down and fish on it for a week at a time, 3 times last year,.  Its there right now waiting for my 2nd trip this year. I have done this many times over the years.  Its two 8 hour days of driving for me.  A well maintained trailer is required.  Most boat owners could do this easily. I wont go to the Gulf without my boat.
    Jim

• StratCasterStratCaster Posts: 50 Greenhorn
     Leaving boat behind to sell and first order if business will be locating another boat once we get there.
    Actually, first order of business will be finding a place to store the new boat.  Palm Harbor is nice and you'll find a lot of nearshore fishing options close by.
    The complex we are living has boat parking  :)
    I just don't want to deal with the hassle of towing it down, plus I do need a bigger boat for family and T-top and more seating for the wife.  Would like a bait well too.  The boat I have is great for myself and a friend or two.  So what are some recommendations on boat size.  23' 24' 25'etc...any advice is appreciated.  Would like to be able to run out a ways.  I pick the days I go way out, but like the comfort of knowing if the weather picks up I have a boat that can  handle decent seas.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 590 Officer
    24'-25' is a good size for our part of the gulf.  If you want to really get into the offshore game in our area, you'll want twin outboards and enough fuel capacity to give you a comfy reserve of fuel in addition to your outgoing and incoming fuel burn.
    ^^^^^^^^
  • JimmillJimmill Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I just don't want to deal with the hassle of towing it down, plus I do need a bigger boat for family and T-top and more seating for the wife.  Would like a bait well too.  The boat I have is great for myself and a friend or two.  So what are some recommendations on boat size.  23' 24' 25'etc...any advice is appreciated.  Would like to be able to run out a ways.  I pick the days I go way out, but like the comfort of knowing if the weather picks up I have a boat that can  handle decent seas.
    I get it. 

But being without any boat while searching for your next boat while living near the Gulf would not work for me.