Citrus County Scallop Abundance Way Down for 2019

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,509 Captain
https://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mollusc/bay-scallops/season/

Remember that their survey covers the exact same gridded areas every year.  It's possible that most of the scallops might be in other spots.  But relative to previous years it does not look good.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,206 AG
    Not gonna stop us from going and checking things out.  If we have to move a few times it will be easier to do that this year.  Last year the boat was giving me all kinds of problems, overheating, rough starting, just problem after problem.  Don't miss it at all and much happier with this fuel injected Yamaha. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,860 Captain
    With the number of boats last year I’m not surprised at all. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,519 AG
    close it down
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    close it down
    It's those darn commercial guys harvesting them all
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,450 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    close it down

For 1 or 2 years 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    According to the survey there are basically no scallops left. Guess we should all just give up.....
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,043 Officer
    shut it down for good.  close down that plantation INN
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,043 Officer
    now it sprawls down into pasco, rather than decreasing
  • jadman69jadman69 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Looks like the numbers are way down this year.  Has anyone gone out scouting for them yet?  I had a friend say he saw some in his usual spots already.  I might go check things out this weekend and see for myself. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,519 AG
    jadman69 said:
    Looks like the numbers are way down this year.  Has anyone gone out scouting for them yet?  I had a friend say he saw some in his usual spots already.  I might go check things out this weekend and see for myself. 
    we got our limit sat.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    could be global warming or those pesky white people.
  • chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 921 Officer
    If it was bad enough they would shut it down. We’re keeping our 8 days booked and if the scallops are a fail we’ll just follow Nick around and fish 

National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 577 Officer
    I have just about given up because of all the yahoos. Last year we went off the beaten path. It was just us and one other boat with miles on either side of us. 5 boats went between us on plane. No idea where they came from of where they were going but they made sure to cut between us. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Yeah it's unreal the way people will run right up by you on plane. If fwc had the resources they could write hundreds of tickets every year just in the Crystal river area. I'm sure it's the same story almost everywhere.
    my wife always sits in the boat while we scallop and watches for googans.   She saved a couple people last year when a boat came in full plane right by some scallopers.   He didn't see them but he saw her frantically waiving her arms and pointing.  
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 328 Deckhand
    I saw the survey as well and they are down for every County where they surveyed.  No numbers for Hernando or Pasco.  We'll still spend a few relaxing days out of Weeki Wachee and any scallops will only be a bonus.  Last year it was rather poor until we ran up close to the Citrus County line and did decent there.  We did a Pasco trip the 2nd weekend and the numbers were low there as well.