Looking for input

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 323 Deckhand
I know this is pretty open ended question.
My wife and I are looking for west coast property or house with easy gulf access. I prefer to be on a canal but easy boat ramp access would work as well with our Moccasin 210, its a very easy boat to handle and trailer.
I'm looking between Tampa and Chocoloskee. This home is meant primarily to fish out of. We own a place in Pompano and live in NY where I teach. We're looking forward to fishing the rest of our lives down there once retired. I'm wondering, if any of you had the opportunity to move where would you go given these areas?

Replies

• tomilgtomilg Sarasota, FLPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    Hi Vinny,

Ironically, I am a Realtor in Sarasota and the surrounding Keys (Siesta, Lido, Longboat). I suppose a few questions you might want to consider are:
    1. Budget?
    2. How much time will you spend here?
        - is this a fishing only house
        - or is this going to be your primary residence
    3. What do you enjoy doing in your off time, away from fishing?
        - Shopping
        - Restaurants
        - Obviously good fishing
        - Arts and Culture

Each of the areas along the west coast are going to have their individual "vibe" or "feel". I love the Sarasota area, not only for the outstanding fishing in the area, but there are endless things to do, arts, culture, beaches, restaurants. It offers a small town feel with big city amenities. For $250K you can get a home in a neighborhood with it's own private docks and boat launch, or for $450K(ish) you can get a canal home with access to the gulf.

If you look a little further south, in Port Charlotte, North Port, and into Ft. Myers, you can easily get a canal home, offering access to the Gulf and Pine Island / Stump Pass / Boca Grande area for $250K, the area is a little sleepier, but your closer to the Ten Thousand Islands and Everglades City.

Just a few thoughts.

Tom
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 323 Deckhand
    Thanks Tom
    Can you give me your contact Number?
    My wife and I will be down Wed thru 7/4. Maybe we can look at a place or two.