argh no tie downs - canoe

ivnivn gvillePosts: 8 Greenhorn
Have a canoe ... would like to actually use it...

Don't have any external tie down points on either the wife's CX-9 or my little Nissan gas sipper.

So... how to transport?  If I had tie downs front and rear on the wife's CX-9 I'd simply put it up top w/ pipe insulation on the gunnels to protect the roof and tie it down.  But I don't.

Easy way to add external tie downs?  Or suck it up and get a trailer?

For the cost of a roof rack system I'm most of the way to a small utility trailer and I have friends that have welders....

Suggestions?

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 982 Officer
    edited June 12 #2
    There are straps that are anchored under the trunk and hood that you can try. I've used them on kayaks.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,096 Officer
    Personally I would prefer a trailer. Easy to launch and you can have the canoe loaded and ready to go when you get to the launch site.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • End of the LineEnd of the Line Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    There are so many solutions.  Any paddle shop will sell foam blocks and straps.  Be sure to use bow and stern tie downs.  Hell, back in the day, I hauled a 16’ canoe on a Volkswagen Beetle..
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 991 Officer
    suction mounts
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,087 Captain
    edited June 14 #6
    Do either of your cars have a hitch?  If so, use a ratchet strap from the canoe to a trailer hitch without a ball in it for the rear.  On the front I bet there's a piece of frame or something you could tie a ratchet strap to... just make sure to put a towel or something between the strap and your paintwork.

Part 3 here:  https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-Down-a-Kayak
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Did a quick Google and came up with what Salty Dawg said:  https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Nissan/Versa/Thule/TH530.html  New idea to me and may make some at home and use the idea myself.

What I generally do with a long load like that is to open the back door windows a bit, slide a ratchet strap over the load and put the hooks in the windows.  Run them all the way across the inside, link the hooks together and ratchet 'em down.  Then, if needed, run bow and stern lines to trailer hitch, hood, whatever.
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 8 Greenhorn

There are so many solutions. Any paddle shop will sell foam blocks and straps. Be sure to use bow and stern tie downs. Hell, back in the day, I hauled a 16’ canoe on a Volkswagen Beetle..
    Yeah. No place on either car to actually tie down and attach to.  Even the hook points used in transshipping are removed and holes plugged as part of dealer prep on the CX9. 

And while I have a luggage rack for my 356 and have had all sorts of outdoor stuff moved around on/in it, I don't think the rust would support a canoe these days.  And after resto I certainly won't be putting one on :)

kmagnuss said:
    Do either of your cars have a hitch?  If so, use a ratchet strap from the canoe to a trailer hitch without a ball in it for the rear.  On the front I bet there's a piece of frame or something you could tie a ratchet strap to... just make sure to put a towel or something between the strap and your paintwork.

Part 3 here:  https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-Down-a-Kayak
    Not yet, but I'm willing if I decide to go with a trailer... which I'm kinda leaning towards, but the options in my budget range are the Ironton "for 10 foot boats" or a HF trailer and mods.  May have to mod the Ironton too, need to research how far back from the end of the trailer my stern can hang...

The tie down straps that attach under hood/in trunk look like a good stop gap so I can enjoy the late days on the water this summer while I dither about how to solve this.