Tampa Bay shipping channel fishing success?

What is the most likely species to have success with fishing the channel in the summertime? Just don't have the boat to get offshore unless the conditions are prime. Going out Sat with the intention to find structure and chum like heck. Back up plan would be troll deep divers close to the bottom.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,178 AG
    I've chummed up spanish mackerel, mangrove snapper, smaller gags, and sharks pretty commonly (not the last couple trips though.   Live shrimp works well.   if you can get greenbacks they work best. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MacDocMacDoc Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    I've chummed up spanish mackerel, mangrove snapper, smaller gags, and sharks pretty commonly (not the last couple trips though.   Live shrimp works well.   if you can get greenbacks they work best. 
    Thanks for you advice.

start off with 15lb flouro leaders, when you start getting cut off move up to 30 then wire, but i've had very few spanish bite through 30.   I've also caught sharks on 30 with circle hooks.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    start off with 15lb flouro leaders, when you start getting cut off move up to 30 then wire, but i've had very few spanish bite through 30.   I've also caught sharks on 30 with circle hooks.  
    Got it set up with 20lb for light tackle and 50 on bigger rod.  Thanks
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,069 Captain
    Try trolling for big gags....they are there year round.

There is a lot of info on this forum about how to do this.  Pretty easy and productive and moving some in this heat is nice...rather than sitting and cooking.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 466 Deckhand
    Troll some rapala xraps on the ledge of the channel. 
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
    jay825 said:
    Troll some rapala xraps on the ledge of the channel. 
    Have tried that with no luck, now going with a planner to get them down a little more
    Try trolling for big gags....they are there year round.

There is a lot of info on this forum about how to do this.  Pretty easy and productive and moving some in this heat is nice...rather than sitting and cooking.
    Going to try getting plugs deeper with planer.
    I have a hard time with the deep diving plugs too.  #2 planers with power pro line will get you down 40' where you need to be.
    Rapala xrap magnum 30, work great for me.
  • SmoothwaterSmoothwater Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Nomad DTX is usually what I troll.  80lb Flouro top shot to 80lb braid.  
    Everglades 243
    How much of a PIA is it to set a planer?  I feel like I would struggle to get the darn thing to work properly and it would trip 5 seconds after I put it in the water.  
    it is easy and only trips if you hit bottom or catch a fish...unless you have a lure or something pulling to hard on it.  When it trips, just lift the tip back up over your head and lower it parallel to the water to give it a second of slack and normally it will reset for you.  Usually not a big deal.  In the wind sometimes it gets a little more tricky..
    ok cool thanks
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    U can put a heavy rubber band from the ring to a snap on the back will reset itself but still trips with a fat grouper
    Hmmm got to try that.