Short Slam @ the Pass 6-8

Launched @ 6:15am, water temp 87.8 and pretty clear.
Started w/ a Magnum Pop-R and got 2 blow ups, one big enough it startled me. Both "swing and a miss". Did manage a 15-1/4" trout on the topwater. And a mackerel and a few jacks. Off to Cape Romano and still with the topwater, jacks and more jacks. Using a white Spro jig, got another barely keeper trout. Into the Morgan River......jacks and 3 catfish on the jig. Caught a short redfish @ 17" and a 20" snook. Throwing the jig next to the mangrove, got nice hit, set the hook and the fight was on......Thought it might have been a keeper redfish but it ended up being a 10-12 pound Goliath grouper! Oh well. In this particular area, these juvy grouper used to be quite abundant. Had not caught one there in years. Storms are now forming offshore and I run back towards the ramp to a little island. Caught a short red and one going 18-1/4 along with an 11" mango. Had a nice tarpon come up next to the boat (6-feet away) for some air and then back down.
Storms died off and a quick run back to the Morgan. Got another rat red @ 16". Pretty cloudy so tossed the topwater agian and got a 22" mackerel. Boat was on the trailer @ 11am.
It was an enjoyable day and second trip in a row with an inshore slam, albeit a shorty one. I did notice this: 2 trips in a row and no ladyfish! And the stuff I throw are usually ladyfish magnets. Was hoping to get 1 or 2 for chunking. 
2 weeks hence I hope to be back out. Until then, take care, be safe and be thankful we get to fish where others vacation!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies