Beach Snook Rod

GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 125 Deckhand
I`m in the market for a Beach Snook Rod - i have almost every rod for every other application, just don't have the right rod for the gutter cruising bruisers. Will be using a 4000 Sustain with 20lb braid and fishing 1/4 - 3/4 oz - so light enough to fish with all day, throw top-waters and be able to have a stiff enough tip to "walk the dog" but sensitive enough to cast a 1/4oz paddle tail. Thats what i think i need, not sure - what do the "pro`s" use? Also need to be able to a 40" fish on it lol

Replies

• Oldsmar GuyOldsmar Guy Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    IMO, for a decent price, can't go wrong with a 7'6" MH Calico Jack. It is strong to get a good-sized Snook in and can also throw any of the lures you mention above. 
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,486 Officer
    Good advice from Oldsmar.... My go to beach combo is currently a 3000 sized Shimano with 10lb braid.. and a 7'6" St Croix ML (pretty much combo in my mouth in my pic). On the beaches here, I am not concerned about cover. At all. There is none lol. I carry 20 and 30lb leader. 20 for calm days, 30 for choppier days. I can toss 1/4 oz jigs far enough to first bar, and I can toss a topwater well past the first bar. I have a 4000 sized reel that I save for fishing structure, and a 7' MH for same.
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 125 Deckhand
    Good advice from Oldsmar.... My go to beach combo is currently a 3000 sized Shimano with 10lb braid.. and a 7'6" St Croix ML (pretty much combo in my mouth in my pic). On the beaches here, I am not concerned about cover. At all. There is none lol. I carry 20 and 30lb leader. 20 for calm days, 30 for choppier days. I can toss 1/4 oz jigs far enough to first bar, and I can toss a topwater well past the first bar. I have a 4000 sized reel that I save for fishing structure, and a 7' MH for same.
    Ok, so is my 20lb braid approach too heavy? Its an imported braid that's seriously thin but super strong. Should i scale down to 15? I don't know if i have the skill to fish with 10lb and not part the line ....... never fished that light before. The rods though that are mentioned, where would i buy them from?
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    So I like to use 8’ crowder mh or 7’6 if I’m not chasing giants. Usually pair it with 40 penn  clash on the 7’6 or a 50 penn clash for a 8’ just depends. Sometimes I’ll just use my 7’ ml crowder. I’ve caught many 35+ inch fish on my 7’ medium light. But 15-20 lb is plenty. Just throw on a good leader 40-30#.  Might have to go to 20-25# if it’s super clear water.  But I do prefer when I’m beach snookin for giants to use the 8 footer just so your not getting whooped. Crowder Rods in my opinion are the best for the money. Best warranty.

Mike
    [email protected] 
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,486 Officer
    nah. 20lbs not too heavy. Should be ok. 90% of my fishing is open flats fishing. So Im not worried about cover. 10lb gives me that extra distance. 20 fine. You do have the skills.... Id worry more about the leader chaffing vs parting.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,227 Officer
    I've got a couple setups that I use for about everything light spinning -

20# braid, 25 or 30# mono leader, 4000 class Shimano, 6.5 ft Ugly Stik GX2,
    30# braid, 25 or 30# mono leader, 4000 class Shimano, 6.5 or 7 ft Ugly Stik GX2.

Wife runs 20# braid, 25 or 30# mono leader, 2500 class Shimano, 6 ft 2 piece Ugly Stik GX2

I have many custom and expensive brand rods and the ceramic inserts in the eyes fall out from time to time, or when other folks handle them roughly.  So when Ugly started using the stainless 1 piece eyes I jumped on them.  It is a little heavier rod and the balance isn't wonderful but it is good enough to use all day without any issues.  Plus I won't worry about kids or wife breaking a $30-$40 rod.

I don't think you'll be undergunned with a 4000 class reel, the snook isn't gonna run that far, or out to sea, it will run up or down the beach, shake its head, hopefully jump a time or two.

Your worst case scenario is that the emory cloth teeth will wear thru your leader.  I find the more I lean on them, the more I lose to leader wear.

Hope you get some.
  • eggystareggystar Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    star rods
  • Oldsmar GuyOldsmar Guy Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    GeeTee said:
    Ok, so is my 20lb braid approach too heavy? Its an imported braid that's seriously thin but super strong. Should i scale down to 15? I don't know if i have the skill to fish with 10lb and not part the line ....... never fished that light before. The rods though that are mentioned, where would i buy them from?
    I think 20lb braid might be too heavy in my opinion. I like to go with 15lb braid and either 20# or 30# fluoro. In super clear, clean water, I like using 20# fluoro, but if I keep getting broken off too much, I step it up to 30# fluoro. On choppy days or when the water is murky, I feel that I can get away with 30# fluoro. If solely fishing the beach, you don't have to worry about getting broken off by structure as opposed to getting your leader frayed by the Snook's gill plates; always check your line for fray whenever you hook up with a Snook. I like to have at least 6+ inches, plus the size of the Snook I am targeting, for my leader length so I can always cut off my fray and re-tie. For instance, there are 36+ inch Snook on the beaches I fish, so I like to have about 4 - 4/12 feet worth of leader. Again, this is all my opinion, but for me a "universal" rod would be a 7'6" MH rod, paired with a 4000 reel, spooled with either 10 or 15lb braid, with anywhere between 20, 25 or 30lb leader. If using live bait, I nice 3/0 circle hook is good for those beach Snook.
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 227 Deckhand
    I finally broke down and bought a St. Croix 8' Tidemaster med-heavy and paired it with a Saragosa SW6000, I bought it for throwing jigs at the inlet but use it on the beach too. My old one was a 8' star rod with a penn  that served me well, did everything I needed it too. But I do love this setup.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,574 Captain
    Star Stellar Light 7'6"
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 763 Officer
    It's what you think is affordable, and is comfortable to cast with for extended periods. There are so many great rods on the market in all price ranges that it's a challenge to settle on any one rod for different applications. I own St Croix Tidemasters, Star Stellar Lights, and several custom rods as well, but picked up two graphite rods at a marine flea market that perform and feel as good or superior to the name brands I own. They cost me $37.00 & $30.00 each. Just saying.
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 125 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the info - i ordered the 7'6" MH Calico Jack - its super affordable and while i don't know if i`m going to like it its arriving today. Either way i`ll be test driving it Wednesday after work. I'm usually the guy who shy`s away from buying the "cheap" stuff but this is my first Rodeo pitching baits along shorelines where i don't need to cast far or need heavy jigs but need some backbone for the bigger fish. I`ll know soon enough whether its a winner or not. I looked at the Star Stellar Light 7.6 too and it looks like a nice rod .......

CaptJ - where are these Marine Flea markets you speak of?? Lol, that would be my kinda scene. But i hear you - i had 2 Berkeley rods i used for trout on the boat although inexpensive they were tough, light and handle all the fish we could catch with them.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,968 Captain
    Your rod choice is up to you and you seem to have pick a good one... now as far as your braid goes.. I still have no idea why people like to go so light....hell my freshwater rigs all have 30lb braid, and if you aren't up to speed on how to  stop or at least keep the wind knot monster at bay..... that's what you will get with the lighter braid...I have seen way to many people start out with 15lb braid and then fight knots most of the day.... Yes I know everybody is different.... again it your choice what to use.... but I have yet to have a bad day of fishing because a fish saw my 30lb braid in the surf... hell if the water is churn up...pssssss I just use regular mono for leader...oh lord I've said that LOL... anyway IMHO I would use whatever braid you have...30lb braid is the same diameter as 8lb mono..... back in the day, nobody would fish the surf with 8lb mono ….just saying...
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"