Smashing Mutton and Mangroves on the Jody Lynn 2 (with PICs)

capciofficapcioffi Posts: 817 Officer
edited June 10 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
Got a phone call from good friend Lou asking if I wanted to go fishing on the Jody Lynn 2 on 6-3-2019 (Monday). "Yes", could not come out of mouth quick enough. Plans were set, boat was loaded, and expectations were high. Made it to our first stop and large red eyes started coming over the rail at a very fast pace. 35 red eyes and 45 minutes later, Captain Mark says"keep them up, time to go find some mangos". Next stop we get the anchor set and start fishing. Mark and mate Chris start throwing some chum over board and I see a mango come up and then another and then a group of them. The next hour and a half was a wide open bite of mangos and AJ. We caught them flat lining and on the bottom. We finished with 22 mangos and probably lost another dozen or more. Bite died down and honestly we could have gone home happy, but captain Mark says"you guys want to go and chase some mutton down?". All of our heads nodded in unison. Engines were fired up and out we went. First stop and baits are fired down and after a little time Mo was hooked up to some thing big, and it was a huge mutton around 17-19 lbs. We caught some more AJ and captain said time to make a move. The next stop we get 3 more mutton and more AJ and make another move. Last spot and we get another big mutton, I believe John got that one, and captain points the bow west back to Conch House. We ended up catching our limit of large vermillion, 22 moangos, some trigger, 5 mutton, and more Almaco and AJ then my shoulder wants to remember. I would like to that Lou for the invite and had a great time fishing with Jeff, John, Mo, Tim, Charlie, and Jeremiah you guys were a blast. Last,I would like thank captain Mark and first mate Chris, these 2 guys really put in one hell of an effort to put us on fish and we all greatly appreciate their efforts. I am trying to upload pics, but having problems.

Replies

• seapro15seapro15 Posts: 152 Deckhand
    That's a hell of a day right there! Did you fish differently for the muttons or use a typical bottom rig?
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 817 Officer
    We fished a three way rig (3 way swivel) with a 15 foot leader. First time I have ever used one, but guaranteed not to be the last.
  • BucktaleBucktale Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    What bait for the muttons?
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,358 Captain
    Fun day!
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 665 Officer
    Epic day... would love to see pictures of the haul.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,202 Officer
    sounds like a killer day for sure and I am sure you learned a few things which makes it even better!!  those guys know the waters well!  congrats!
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,278 Admiral
    If I may ask...."Big Lou".......from way back LS days?

d

• portusrogerportusroger Posts: 163 Deckhand
    I’m looking to book a trip with them but we need a couple guys to fill the spots. Feel free to message me if anyone’s interested in going, we currently have 3 guys
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 44 Greenhorn
    I'd go with ya
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 118 Deckhand
    What dates are you looking to go portusroger?
  • Sails CallSails Call Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I’m looking to book a trip with them but we need a couple guys to fill the spots. Feel free to message me if anyone’s interested in going, we currently have 3 guys
    Dates?  I may have 4 or so guys from my office. How many are you looking for?
    I would suggest booking a trip around the full moon if your going to fish in the summer. That is when you will find the mango and mutton in their spawning mood and have a shot of getting the fish bunched up. After this moon coming up on 6-17-19 I would call and talk to captain about what is happening. I personally like the fall when the cobia make their run back down south and there are still pomps and some mango hanging around. 
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 163 Deckhand
    bigslick said:
    What dates are you looking to go portusroger?
    We are trying to plan a Saturday after a full moon. Text me 904-955-6814 Roger