No spots...

The last two days have been kinda tough. Been able to get the trout and snook but the Redfish have not been co-operative. It was two or three trout early and then two or three snook after the Trout bite dies out. I saw two Reds yesterday and three the day before but could not get them to eat. Very spooky for some reason.

The topwater trout have been fun but that whole deal ends pretty quick when the sun breaks the horizon.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QvCeLoul.jpg[/img]

I got three like this and two about 20 inches before it died today.

I ran south and hit a few known spots to get a small snook out of the way so I could spend more effort on the Redfishing. I got a small one on the greenie CAL . On to Redfish.  I really had to look around a lot to find decent sight fishing water and I have seen the same Redfish in the same spot for three days straight but it will not eat. I looked at a few more spots but the water was messed up. I got lucky as I was finishing up one spot because as I came into the wind shadow I could see the water all of a sudden was pretty clean. I worked down a bit and saw a fish.....and got the take.... 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iGCaWWGl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/WUEFQG6l.jpg[/img]

Pretty cool no spot Redfish.... more rare than spotted ones.... 

So, it was 9:30 am and that is #30   I fished another hour and picked off another small snook and a mangrove snapper....the heat came on hard and I bailed. 
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I've never seen a no spot red. Your reports have me anxious to get out on the river again. The water around Sebastian has been real clean lately. Tried to get out sunday but I went to put new tires on my trailer and broke a stud off the hub..grr. Hopefully I can get it repaired before this weekend...Thanks for the report duckman.
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    I, gave you the address on a couple of Reds today, it is on the east side of the first island. Go get'em.
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,164 AG
    edited June 6 #4
    I've never seen a no spot red. Your reports have me anxious to get out on the river again. The water around Sebastian has been real clean lately. Tried to get out sunday but I went to put new tires on my trailer and broke a stud off the hub..grr. Hopefully I can get it repaired before this weekend...Thanks for the report duckman.
    Thanks... 

I remember seeing some data on the no spot thing....they were pretty rare. I think I had one either last year or the year before. My son said there is a facebook group called
    " bare naked drum" or something like that...

If you go....be out in the dark and on your spot at first blush of grey because the Trout bite dies pretty quick up shallow where the big girls are....the water temp was 84 degrees the last time I had my bottom machine on the boat... I think they either go deep or up under the mangroves shortly after sunup.  

PS... the guys at Ferguson can fix you up on that hub thing in no time... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I, gave you the address on a couple of Reds today, it is on the east side of the first island. Go get'em.
    Going to head home that way tomorrow...Thanks 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • jhdog13jhdog13 Posts: 270 Deckhand
    6 years ago when Reds were plentiful had a pair of no spot short Reds in the Pine Island cut.  I can never get one of the mega multiple spot Reds.  Bait has been thick on the bar on the North end of Pine Island and also at the outside edge of the cut.  Wondering if the Grouper have moved back into the Hobart Channel.  Last popping cork hit was a freight train, headed straight into one of the ledges.
    edited June 7 #7
    Today was pretty good...kinda..

I got out just a few minutes early but the heavy cloud cover held back grey dawn. No matter since I pulled a nice snook and a ladyfish at my first stop on a white CAL.  With that snook in the bag I ran to do some topwater trouting. As I approached the area I threw the jig and pulled another snook. Then, I threw the chug bug to a windy point and got another nice snook ...and a giant ladyfish.
    I moved into position and the fish were there. I got 3 but they were generally smaller than the fish yesterday....but this really doesn't tell the story of what went down....I had numerous fish on and pulled off...and fish blasting the chug bug out of the water....The cloud cover held back the dawn so I had a good bit of time to play and with heavy cloud cover was in no rush to leave.  By 8 AM I decided to run and hit several spots but the wind was vicious and water crappy most places....but I finally found enough conditions to put it together.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yTauPo3l.jpg[/img]

That makes #31

and this was #2....for good measure..... 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/7Syb4Agl.jpg[/img]

It was looking like rain so headed in at 11 AM
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 517 Officer
    The problem is ducky u fished your spots dry no bueno!!!!
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!