Mahi

Been at this fishing thing for over 50 years.  Went to 30' on Sunday to a spot where I have had non stop keeper size grouper on almost every trip before the season opened.  Had my daughter, her boyfriend and one of their friends.  Set the spot lock and sent down some sardines.  Had a couple of dozen white baits in the live well, so tossed out a flat line. (had numerous kings there also)
Flat line was heading toward the front and Jimmy yells MAHI MAHI!!  I said there's no Fn' way there's Mahi in 30 feet!!

I was wrong.  They swarmed the boat, so it became a literal fire drill trying to get another bait in the water while keeping the first one in the water.  Managed to get that one in and they were gone.  Continued trying for grouper with another flat line out, and they returned.  We were prepared this time and managed to get 9 total chicken mahi on ice.  Fished that spot for another hour without anther mahi nor keeper grouper.  Decided to move to 40' set the spot lock and my daughters boyfriend Nick nailed two 26" grouper.
Just as the bite started, the batteries for the IPILOT decided to die.  I had charged them for two straight days and they've been losing charge way to fast.  Couldn't get back on the spot with the Fortress, so called it a day.

My fishing knowledge has now been expanded and now has me believing that anything is possible on the water due to seeing Mahi in 30'.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,178 AG
    Could the water temp have been a factor?  I know the past 6-8 weeks it has been abnormally warm
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 628 Officer
    Welcome to the forum...that's quite a day
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Got your bonus with the pains.
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 466 Deckhand
    Anything is possible! But nice!
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,251 Captain
    Good report!   Thanks for sharing. 
  • FloridaIRFloridaIR TampaPosts: 6 Greenhorn
    I've run into them between 40-50 ft a bunch of times. Never as close as 30, though.
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 120 Deckhand
    Dolphin, not mahi...unless you are from Hawaii or Ohio and don't know any better. 
  • SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 55 Greenhorn
    edited June 11 #9
    Geetch said:
    Dolphin, not mahi...unless you are from Hawaii or Ohio and don't know any better. 
    Dolphinfish, not dolphin.... unless.....
    Dolphin, mahi, Dorado, its all the same sh#@tsh#@t!!
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Wait!  I thought everything thing is a Warsaw ????

Goes to show that you can’t believe everything on the interwebs.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,291 Officer
    X2 on dolphin.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Lmao!
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,027 Captain
    This time of year, it's always a good idea to keep a couple spinning rods rigged for peanut dolphin with some cut bait ready to go  with a couple seconds notice. The shallowest I've ever heard  peanut  dolphin being caught was 20 feet, but  60 feet or deeper is much much better.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Highly unusual, but mahi mahi are a fast moving species and we have seen flying fish close in. So, why not?  Be prepared for anything.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Yeah, I’ve seen the flying fish in 60’ a couple months ago. 
    I was rather surprised. 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 567 Officer
    We saw fliers in 40' a month ago.  Had us scratching our heads.  Water was beautifully clear, even inshore.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 181 Deckhand
    Saw flying fish come up along my boat Monday headed back from Veterans 2 reef off Pinellas. I was in about 46' of water and watched 3 flying fish glide for what seemed like a solid 100'. I was literally in awe watching them off my port side at about 30knts.