trailer help

permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,043 Officer
In March I bought a new tidewater baymax 1800 with a magic tilt trailer. 
the problem with the trailer is that it seems to be too big. The front bunks do not support the hull, as you can see an inch of space; the bow rest so hard on the Roller that it can not spin, seems way too much stress on bow to be lifted and held up by winch rather than supported.
When launching the boat, the keel gets scuffed from roller not rolling it off, resulting in a rough unload.  When loading back up bow is always a foot or so below roller/winch and will go under roller if permitted.  The keel dips down between the bunks rather than being raised.  Dealer told me they would drop it in and load it up to see problem and consult magic tilt since under warranty.
They did not put it in the water, but just raised front bunks 1/2 in, which all the had left to go.  Took it out today and that did nothing.
Tired of messing with a dealer that cant get it right (have a few other issues related to electronics on boat too that did not get fixed when in for 20 hr service) and want to either deal with MAgic Tilt directly if thats possible, or just put a keel roller between the front bunks to lift bow when loading.
Does this sound like it should work? open to suggestion,
 and
If I alter the trailer does that impact the warranty status?

BTW - great boat, need to make more modifications for my style of fishing, and the yamaha 115. hate the mk 70 tm/tiller handle pos, goes in reverse when you try forward (5 speed reverse) and 3 speed fwd (which reads Rev), what quality control. 
Add that into bad livewell pump, bilge pump smoldering last time out (at 12 hrs)...wont go into gps problems.

Gotta love a new boat, especially one that takes the joy outta fishing. Shoulda kept my $4000 pos. But hey, I might actually get a full day in tarpon fishing yet this year.

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,057 Officer
    Trolling motor power cord might be wired backward. If it's a plug in, check the polarity at the recepticle. Was that also installed by your dealer?

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,204 Captain
    Can you take some pics of the issues?  Maybe it's something that is easily adjusted and we can help you.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,206 AG
    Magic tilt trailers are not good from what  I have experienced.   They intentionally use non-common parts so you have to buy replacements from them only.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,043 Officer
    maybe this will help...

edited June 6 #6
    the trailer seems to be very well built. Its just setup for a Clearwater 1900 (etched onto trailer tongue side) with a deeper V.
    You can see the front bunks not supporting the bow.
    Im wondering if i need a keel roller w/ bracket at 45 degrees off the trailer tongue or a keel roller assembly mounted between the two front bunks on the forward most crossbar? I would prefer less contact with keel, but enough so that it would lift the bow when loading so that i don not have to winch up 16000 lbs or so.

TM and gps were factory install. Spoke with them today and they are gonna swap out TM for a copliot 80. the boat was factory wired to receptacle The garmin is mounted in console, and had the fuse/ connector removed since that is a source of problems (?). I presume that they checked connections when in last week. once had a 441 garmin and it did the same exact thing. Warranty replaced connection/connectors, still happened, then they fixed unit but it came back and would drop out sometimes when id hit a wake or big wave. Im afraid this is the same thing, probably not but acts the same. My last two were lowrance, which i prefer.

Its all under warranty, but i bought the boat 3 hrs away from home so taking it back and forth to their shop... id rather be fishing!
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    Did the boat come from the factory with the trailer or did the dealer put it on the trailer? When I bought my new boat the dealer had simply put my boat on the trailer and they had to custom fit it after I had put down a deposit. If your dealer put the boat on the trailer then it's on them to fix it.

Also, sometimes the boat running up under the winch can happen if the trailer is backed too far down into the water on certain ramps. That top picture looks like the boat is floating almost all the way up to the winch. The boat that far forward should be on the bunks angling toward the winch . That being said the bottom picture clearly shows the boat is not being supported correctly. Do you have more pictures of the bunks and how the boat sits on them?

• Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,450 Officer
    permit_me said:
    the trailer seems to be very well built. Its just setup for a Clearwater 1900 (etched onto trailer tongue side) with a deeper V.
    You can see the front bunks not supporting the bow.
    Im wondering if i need a keel roller w/ bracket at 45 degrees off the trailer tongue or a keel roller assembly mounted between the two front bunks on the forward most crossbar? I would prefer less contact with keel, but enough so that it would lift the bow when loading so that i don not have to winch up 16000 lbs or so.

TM and gps were factory install. Spoke with them today and they are gonna swap out TM for a copliot 80. the boat was factory wired to receptacle The garmin is mounted in console, and had the fuse/ connector removed since that is a source of problems (?). I presume that they checked connections when in last week. once had a 441 garmin and it did the same exact thing. Warranty replaced connection/connectors, still happened, then they fixed unit but it came back and would drop out sometimes when id hit a wake or big wave. Im afraid this is the same thing, probably not but acts the same. My last two were lowrance, which i prefer.

Its all under warranty, but i bought the boat 3 hrs away from home so taking it back and forth to their shop... id rather be fishing!
    Dealer needs to make this right. Whether they order the proper trailer from Magic Tilt or have MT fit this trailer to your boat. 2 totally different hulls. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,204 Captain
    Agreed with James 14... have you tried not backing so far into the water?  Hard to tell for sure, but not backing in so far should get you up over the winch post.

Also, as far as the front of the bunks not fitting... I wouldn't worry about that whatsoever if the pic is showing the only section not fitting flat against the boat.  
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    kmagnuss said:
    Also, as far as the front of the bunks not fitting... I wouldn't worry about that whatsoever if the pic is showing the only section not fitting flat against the boat.  
    True. Additional pics would help.

Where are the ends of the bunks in relation to the back of the boat?
    here is one where i did try loading it more shallow.

What ive found is that i need to load it deep, pull forward and then which it upthe rear bunk are pretty close to flush, maybe stick out about half an inch, past end of boat
    dealer says hes gonna fix while i wait there. cant wait. kinda like going to the dentist
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,467 Officer
    You are being too nice.
    A trailer guy can fix that but highly doubt a salesman can.
    Looks to me at very least you need a new winch post and would suspect some mods to the bunk brackets. It’s all welded. I would raise heck!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    So, in that last pic are you saying it's too hard for you to winch the boat up in that position? Have you tried driving it up from that position?

If the bunks run to the back then the boat should be supported well enough. If you unhook the boat when the trailer is sitting level does the boat lift up away from the roller any? Or is it actually resting some weight it?
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    After 3 months, and that many problems on a  boat I would get a **** good lawyer.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 639 Officer
    livebait said:
    After 3 months, and that many problems on a  boat I would get a **** good lawyer.
    Oh ya, this big of an investment , 3 hours away. This boat should bring you pleasure, especially being new. Raise holy hell and if the dealer doesn’t make it right call the manufacturer 
    edited June 7 #17
    yeah, It got ugly with them yesterday. Manager/owner wants to resolve it ASAP. Paid cash too or id leave it there.
    i was told 3 weeks ago when i took it over that magic would look at it and and handle it under warranty. It was easier to raise bunks half inch. 
    Ill give them this one last chance to swap trailer for new one from magic tilt or have them come fix it properly.  
    I would like to just take it to Magic tilt in Clearwater, 45 miles away and have them fix it right, under warranty, unless there's something fishy about the trailer source and warranty, but they refer you to auth dealer for fix. These guys sell em but not an auth repair center...
    Bow rests very heavily on roller. Driving it on does not work, as it will not rise enough.  I have to drive it out of the water for it to rest on back of front bunks, then winch it, which is just too much to deal with. Way too much stress on bow eye and keel, which now has several scuffs from roller when unloading. It just drops hard no matter how slow i go or even if i unhook when about half in water . Then i'm up to knees just to unhook or hook up.
    I have the brown finger curse, it flares up every few yrs.
    The boat handles very well and that yamaha 115 (max power) powers it nicley with 3 big guys. If i get it fixed this trip and the tm swapped out for an 80 copilot, it will be acceptable at this point. i do not like dealing lawyers, nor boat dealers. 
    With that much weight on the front roller then it's definitely not properly supported by the bunks. I hope they can make it right for you. I am curious...If that trailer says it was made for a different model then where is the trailer that is made for yours? I wonder if MT makes such a trailer and the dealer or MT screwed up.
    exactly where im at.