yamaha f225 low pressure fuel pump probs.

whaler13whaler13 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
had these things fixed about three weeks ago, both motors shut down due to bad fuel etc etc. now the problem im having is the low pressure pump isnt getting a ground to complete the circuit and have it cycle on and off. i can hear the pump in the VST click on when i turn the key. if i run a jumper wire from the ground to the block the pump clicks on and runs good. is there a relay i need to check or a float type switch that activates the pump?:cookoo

Replies

• EngguyEngguy Posts: 172 Deckhand
    I have an F-115 and the low pressure pump is mechanical. I believe the one in the VST tank is the high pressure one.
    What is bad fuel?
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Engguy wrote: »
    I have an F-115 and the low pressure pump is mechanical. I believe the one in the VST tank is the high pressure one.
    What is bad fuel?
    I have 115's also. the low pressure pump is on the rear of the engine and is mechanical. the high pressure pump is inside the VST and is electrical. Check for a restriction between the 2 pumps. if there is none and the low pressures are putting out enough psi, then your problem is in the VST. (I'm guess guessing that your 225 is like our 115's I may be way off)
  • whaler13whaler13 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    no the 225 pump is electrical im talking about the low pressure lift pump outside of the VST. the problem im having is the pump is not receiving a ground to complete the circuit for it to cycle on and off. the relay is activating the pump in the vst but not the low pressure one. i thnking there has to be some type of float switch in there or something.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    does the pump have a ground wire or is it grounded to the block? If its grounded to the block, was it removed during your previous repairs and remounted with some sort of sealant that could be causing a short. Its just weird to hear fuel troubles then say your having a grounding problem.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • whaler13whaler13 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    well i got her to click back on. messed with the main harness a little and the main plug coming from the key. The other motor is now making a kinda of drive shaft whine. not a constant gear whine but kind of like a bearing whine or something that comes and goes in the frequency of it. Best i can describe it as is when your driving next to someone and your exhaust from your car is almost matched in pitch to the person next to you. its that type of humming type noise. Going to drain and pull the lower unit to look for anything obvious.