Home General Fishing

Best Braid for the $'s?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,779 Moderator
    Tufline XP is less expensive than PP and IMHO, a lot better.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,879 Captain
    The reality of this hole thing is if your happy with pp then stick with it. But before you buy more pp to re-spool your reel, go down to your local tackle shop and feel the difference between the other braids. You might be suprised. PP is probably the ruffest of the "top" braids out.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    If you are happy with what you are using then stick with it. The price of braid makes it difficult for most to try this and try that. I know many that have used Power Pro for years and never had a problem. I do not see how feeling the line can make a difference. Most companies make a good line. Sufix, Fins, SpiderWire, Daiwa, Cortland etc. If you got the bucks try them all..........:)

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,248 Admiral
    estero wrote: »
    If you are happy with what you are using then stick with it. The price of braid makes it difficult for most to try this and try that. I know many that have used Power Pro for years and never had a problem. I do not see how feeling the line can make a difference. Most companies make a good line. Sufix, Fins, SpiderWire, Daiwa, Cortland etc. If you got the bucks try them all..........:)

Thats your theory but mine is even if I haven't had many failures myself, which I have. Why in the world would I want to even try something that has by far the most negative posts about it over all other braids combined, and that is on every single forum I am on. It is beyond comprehension to me. You spend good money on braid and then have it fail is a real bummer. Occasional equiptment failure is going to happen but why risk something that had multiple know failures by many different people.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

estero wrote: »

The smoother the line, the longer the cast. Bottom fishing it won't make a difference. But the longer you can cast inshore means the further away you are from the mangroves or the more area you can cover in a single cast on the flats.
  • FlagtailsFlagtails MiamiPosts: 577 Officer
    I really think that they started to have some serious quality control problems maybe thats why they were sold. I used it exclusively when it first came out then I stopped when I had the problems of the "mystery" breaks. I pay way to much money to go out fishing and have this kind of thing happen. For me it's a complete lack of confidence in the product and I for one just won't go back to it again. For those who have not had any problems great. For those who have given up on it I completely understand because part of fishing is having confidence in the tackle that we use and if we don't trust the line its time to make a change. I simply don't trust the stuff any more.

Juan
    binder077 wrote: »
    The smoother the line, the longer the cast. Bottom fishing it won't make a difference. But the longer you can cast inshore means the further away you are from the mangroves or the more area you can cover in a single cast on the flats.

Not necessarily. I seen line that is smooth as silk but flattens out and will billow out when cast. That line will loose distance faster then a rougher line. I haven't seen any specific evidence that supports the fact that Power Pro is in fact having quality control problems lately.
    I myself haven't tried Power Pro for 3 years. I am going to buy a box and give it a true test. If I have any dislikes I will post them. I always posted my line pro's and con's honestly even when given the line. Some that visit this forum know what I mean.

• johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    I'm surprised cortland master braid and fins didn't do as well as PP in your test.
    I still have PP on some of my reels and I don't have a problem with it. But I tried suffix 832 on a reel and I think it casts further than the PP. Now I'm not going out and re-lining all of my reels because of this but when I do re-line it will be with suffix. I have used PP since '03 and never had any major issues like some others here but I am always looking for an advantage over the guy next to me.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    I heard that 832 sinks , is that true ?
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    johnD wrote: »
    I heard that 832 sinks , is that true ?

I recall the slack 50# being on the surface when free lining bait last weekend.
  • VenitianVenitian Posts: 85 Deckhand
    PP, no problems. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    johnD wrote: »
    I'm surprised cortland master braid and fins didn't do as well as PP in your test.

Master Braid did very well. Look again. The fins WindTamer and Fins PRT were about the same as most lines. I like the Fins WindTamer.

• GabiJohnsonGabiJohnson FloridaPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    I like jerry brown, less wind knots and IMO its a better braid than power pro
  • MayaWilsonMayaWilson RichlandPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    I've never heard of it being spliced, not even sure how they could even do that? I'm pretty sure it's multiple continuous fibers woven?

• JoshFergusonJoshFerguson FloridaPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    Here's what I find funny, PP has been on many forums and even some had stickys to alert anglers
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
       Fireline at Berkley Outlet Store in Spirit Lake Iowa is $5.00 for
    150 yards.Number one quaility,beat that PP,Suffix,Tuffline.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 978 Officer
    Spirit Lake Iowa.  I caught my one and only muskie there 40 years ago.  

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,606 Captain
    Jerry Brown

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,665 Captain
    I've never heard of it being spliced, not even sure how they could even do that? I'm pretty sure it's multiple continuous fibers woven?

Jerry Brown and some other brands make hollow core braid. You can slide a mono top shot right inside it, as well as more braid, or a floor leader. It works like a Chinese finger trap. Several of us did some unscientific testing while waiting on the wind to stop blowing on Andros some years back. We tied braid to braid, and mono to braid with every knot we could think of, then hooked them to the truck and backed  up slow. We broke every knot before the line broke, but the spliced lines never pulled out, and the line broke before the splice did. Alcohol might have been involved in the testing, so your mileage may vary. I don’t think you can get hollow core less than 50 lb, either. 
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    In all my years of fresh and saltwater fishing, I have NEVER had a line failure with Power Pro. I guess some people do. I simply have never experienced this. Have no idea why this line is bashed. That’s ok, it leaves more for me.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    i like power pro. when i first tried braid about ten years ago, i asked the guy at my local tackle shop what was a brand that works well and is reasonably priced. he said he personally liked  power pro and it was their best seller. i tried it and experienced the wind knot problem for about a week til i figured it out. been a satisfied customer ever since. Power Pro!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,741 Admiral
    edited March 13 #54
    I used to be a JB guy only. That was 10 years ago. Since then the cheap Asian (Chinese) braids have come along way as long as you get 8 strands or more. Kast King, Hercules and others are all satisfactory at least for my style of using them which is deep dropping. I still use mono for most light trolling  applications. I am not a inshore guy and only use spinning rods for bailing Dolphin.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Jas2Jas2 Posts: 225 Deckhand
    In all my years of fresh and saltwater fishing, I have NEVER had a line failure with Power Pro. I guess some people do. I simply have never experienced this. Have no idea why this line is bashed. That’s ok, it leaves more for me.

X 2  !!!!
  • rcjoutdoorsrcjoutdoors SunrisePosts: 29 Deckhand
    I use lots of brands and all seem to work well. I did have some bad spools of 40lb Power Pro way back. Lures were snapping off on the cast near the spool. I was able to snag the floating line with another bait to get my lures back luckily 

Coupon Code: RCFSM80 for 80% off SA Face Shields

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 38 Deckhand
    My .02 cents. I use daiwa j braid x8. I buy 3000m spools for around  $150. 

I use it for deep dropping in 30&50lb. I use solid colors. The meterd is to hard to focus on when the color is changing. Sometimes I let almost 1 mile out. 

I also use 30&50lb for fishing deep in 200'-400' metered or solid coloring. 

I utilize 15-30lb metered  for slow pitch jigging. 

I have had it break sometimes right at the water line, but I have always broken it on purpose with incredably exessive force fpr tje lb rating or pe sizing. I usaly end up cleating it of to break it. 
  • NevermoorNevermoor Burnt Store MarinaPosts: 59 Deckhand
    I started with PP and was not unhappy.  Did get a few wind knots.  A local guide suggested Suffix and I like it better, fewer wind knots.  Then I got cheap and bought some store brand from BassPro. What a mistake.  It knots up like crazy.  The few $ I saved ended up being a lot of $ wasted.  Re-spooling as soon as possible.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them,

• greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 508 Officer
    edited March 22 #59
    I have used plenty of PP, Suffix 832, Tufline, Spiderwire, Cortland master braid, Cortland 16 strand, and Kastking pro.

Ive never had any braided line break because of a fish. Ive lost a lot with mono. But never with braid. 

So i cant blame anyone of them for failures in my experience. I will say that I do NOT trust kastking pro, only because at the time i bought it, i didnt see any trustworthy testing for it. 

I used to use alot of Suffix 832 when i started catfishing. It was very tough and pretty smooth. No problems. It faded quickly, but that doesnt mean anything to me, cause they all fade. 

PP has always been my go to general purpose line, cause its easy to find, easy on the pocket, and consistently does what its made to do.

Id say the line that I trust THE MOST is by far Cortland. Tough as all heck! If I need to pull a flathead catfish out of logs and trees, that line has always pulled them through without ripping, taring or getting cut. 

Thats why i like it for surf fishing too, especially for bigger fish, cause it can handle the sandbar.

Plus its a pretty darn smooth line. I love it.

Musky fisherman are whipping their line over and over again through those guides hundreds of times a day casting those heavy lures. Thats the ultimate test on that line and it passes. 

You guys were talking about smooth line. I forgot that I bought the New Power Pro V2 line that came out. I use it on my smallmouth rod to cast very light smallmouth lures. 1/16 and occasionally 1/8oz. That line is silky smooth. Just glides through the guides. Regular PP makes noise on the guides. This doesnt.

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,151 Officer
    Agree with the Power Pro V2
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Another vote for suffix braid. I like many others think power pro sucks. The fins is OK also – but the suffix definitely is easy to work with and throws better
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90