Home General Fishing

Best Braid for the $'s?

specialkspecialk Posts: 5 Greenhorn
Thinking of changing out a couple of my spinning rods with braid. What's the best braid for the $'s? Do you have to use a different knot when tieing hooks to braid? If so, which knot?

Replies

• Kevin KellyKevin Kelly Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    I just use Power Pro. It's the first one i tried, and it seems to work well, so i haven't bothered to switch to anything else. Uni-knots seem to work well for me in braid, but there's a sweet little knot in one of the video clips on the Spanish Fly website. He uses it to tie the mono leader to the braid. I don't know what the knot's called, but it does work.
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I just re spooled a tarpon rig with 50lb Sufix 832 and it's pretty cool stuff, put two 100lb + plus to the boat this weekend. I have Sufix performace braid on the other rig, my only complaint with it is that it doesn't stay as round as the 832 is. Daiwa has a good braid called samurai too.

I'm sure it's going to upset a lot of folks, but stay away from power pro. If you want to use braid don't go the cheap route or it will be a miserable experience. I saw someone mention people who like power pro have not used another braid, and that's about right.

As for knots I use my same arsenal, just on a couple depending how thin the diamater is, I just double the line.
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    I like jerry brown, less wind knots and IMO its a better braid than power pro

you don't tie hooks directly to braid, if you use braid you will need to have a mono or floro leader that you tie your jigs or hooks to.

There is a lot of knots other there that connect braid to the leader - uni to uni knot - my favorite is to tie a Bimini or spider hitch in the braid and then tie a Bristol knot (it has one more step than the no name knot so it doesn't slip)

There is some many different ways to tie knots....you can have your run and gun knots, like for me a poor mans Bimini when I just don't have the time to tie a Bimini and the list goes on.
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,248 Admiral
    Power Pro is the cheapest made and most advertized, therefore it is used the most. However it is garbage. It will come apart on you occasionally at the splices where they join the different strands together. It also is manufactured with the least amount of carriers, or thread count. What is your primary use of these reels you are filling with braid. For casting use Ultracast invisibraid and for bottom fishing/ jigging use Jerry Brown or Tufline XP. I have used them a ton and have not had the least bit of problems with them. I have had a bunch of mystery breaks with PP.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• BinderBinder Posts: 3,879 Captain
    Suffix 832 braid to Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon disappearing pink fluorocarbon. This braid casts further than power pro and this fluoro seems to work better than seaguar fluoro(It's cheaper too).
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    I started using braid when it was still a new product and since then I've tried a lot of different manufacturers. I still use power pro, the reason being I haven't really had any problems with it. It seems to last quite long, (although the color fades pretty quickly which doesn't bother me) and I think it's a pretty good product for the money. As far as knots go, I primarily use uni-uni for tying braid to leader. It's easy to tie, won't slip and takes no time to tie.
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Power Pro is the cheapest made and most advertized, therefore it is used the most. However it is garbage. It will come apart on you occasionally at the splices where they join the different strands together. It also is manufactured with the least amount of carriers, or thread count. What is your primary use of these reels you are filling with braid. For casting use Ultracast invisibraid and for bottom fishing/ jigging use Jerry Brown or Tufline XP. I have used them a ton and have not had the least bit of problems with them. I have had a bunch of mystery breaks with PP.

PP is not spliced.
    pupraiser wrote: »
    PP is not spliced.

Oh my friend you are wrong. The individual strands are woven together and spliced. Pull a spool apart and you will see the shoddy work.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,388 Officer
    [email protected]!# Why does everyone knock Power-Pro? Just read a lengthy independent test comparing lots of braided lines. The test was done by a forum member and Power Pro rated one of the best braids. The post is on this forum or The Hull Truth.
    I'm convinced that some reels handle braided line better than others. I was using Okuma and US Reels and had lots of wind knots. Then switched to the Pflueger Arbor and not one wind knot since Christmas. So it's not always the line.
    I don't care if it's the cheapest braid, it's always worked for me.
    I've never heard of it being spliced, not even sure how they could even do that? I'm pretty sure it's multiple continuous fibers woven?
    Here's what I find funny, PP has been on many forums and even some had stickys to alert anglers. Now if there was no problems why then is it dogged on almost every forum I have ever been on? I personally don't care if you spend your money on whatever you like, I how ever choose to steer clear due to bad problems I have personally experienced. The reason you fish id to catch fish now if you have a few failures then you do not catch those fish and you lose the rigging, hooks, sinkers, jigs or whatever else you had tied on. There are way better lines out there with no negative press so why even chance wasting your money? Tufline XP is 100 % better and zero problems for me in 4 years. Just about the same price as well. So enjoy your PP.

Moondawg wrote: »
    I've never heard of it being spliced, not even sure how they could even do that? I'm pretty sure it's multiple continuous fibers woven?

It is not spliced all in one splice but it is woven and individual threads are spliced in different areas and that is where the weakness comes in.

Oh my friend you are wrong. The individual strands are woven together and spliced. Pull a spool apart and you will see the shoddy work.

I had written the manufacturer about this specifically. I noted that I observed what appeared to be "slices" in the line. He said that they do not slice. What I'm seeing is bits of material used in making PP has been woven into the line during the braiding process. Apparently, when miles and miles of line is sent through rollers and guides, lint (I forget the word he used) sometimes builds up and small pieces sometimes gets woven into the final product. He said that they were working to eliminate or reduce this. He said it didn't impact the line in any way.

Anyhow, maybe he wasn't telling me the truth...but it has never caused me an issue. I have some reels that have had the same PP on them for 7 or 8 years.
    I can say the smaller stuff you use for inshore isn't all that bad but for jigging and bottom fishing with 50 and above, I wouldn't use it ever again if they gave me a lifetime supply of it to use. It can not compete with the better braids on the market for those uses. I have had over a dozen failures myself personally in those applications and I have not had one problem since I switched to Tufline and JB line one. Go on 360 tuna and pm pametfisher and ask him the specifics about how braid is made and so on. He has tons of data on it and also knot strength in most braids.

Here's what I find funny, PP has been on many forums and even some had stickys to alert anglers. Now if there was no problems why then is it dogged on almost every forum I have ever been on? I personally don't care if you spend your money on whatever you like, I how ever choose to steer clear due to bad problems I have personally experienced. The reason you fish id to catch fish now if you have a few failures then you do not catch those fish and you lose the rigging, hooks, sinkers, jigs or whatever else you had tied on. There are way better lines out there with no negative press so why even chance wasting your money? Tufline XP is 100 % better and zero problems for me in 4 years. Just about the same price as well. So enjoy your PP.

I'll admit that I have not tried other braids. I've never been unhappy with PP so I didn't try anything else. Maybe I'll try the Tufline and see for myself.

I honestly can't recall seeing any negative comments on PP...except for the wind knot thing. That is often caused by the reel though. What specifically don't you like about it?
    I can say the smaller stuff you use for inshore isn't all that bad but for jigging and bottom fishing with 50 and above, I wouldn't use it ever again if they gave me a lifetime supply of it to use. It can not compete with the better braids on the market for those uses. I have had over a dozen failures myself personally in those applications and I have not had one problem since I switched to Tufline and JB line one. Go on 360 tuna and pm pametfisher and ask him the specifics about how braid is made and so on. He has tons of data on it and also knot strength in most braids.

Perhaps it is because we fish differently. I only fish inshore with 10# braid. Perhaps in other situations, PP is not a good choice.
    That is a true statement, but Ultracast invisibraid will out cast PP so if I use braid for offshore light stuff like tossing a yozuri crystal minnow to schoolie dolphin and so on I use that instead.

• Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,443 Captain
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    the Pflueger Arbor

I was just looking at that reel that night...I want to try one. ...oh, and I use Power pro, never had a problem in probably ten years...but I fish inshore. I can appreciate that offshore results could be completely different.
    My reasoning behind saying that PP or really any other kind of braid is not spliced is because I have an understanding of the manufacturing process. When braided line first came out, I thought ti would be a good market to be involved in. After spending months trying to find a good manufacturer and receiving various samples from overseas I opted not to try and get into the already growing market with competitors that have a hell of a lot more money that I would ever had. Cut a long story short, I learned a lot about how it is made, and I think it would be practically impossible to introduce a new stand into the weaving process to make a splice. I'm not saying that PP is the best product on the market, Suffix uses twice the amount of fibers, but i'm sure that those fibers are probably have the size of PP fibers in order to maintain the same diameter as competitors. The original question asked on this thread was the best value for money, best bang for a buck? Hence, I think PP is a good if not best option. I have no clue what experience specialk or to what degree he likes to enjoy this fantastic sport, but best value for money, I'd say power pro. Now I just make lures....
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    power_pro_logo_web.jpg

never had a problem
    :S
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,172 Officer
    for inshore i switched from power pro because of wind knots.i now use fins prt for reds and trout.offshore is a diffrent story.I also use yozuri disappearing pink with uni to uni knots.pretty solid knot strength.
  • HPXMicroHPXMicro Posts: 249 Officer
    Like many other inshore fisherman here I've use PP for the last 6 years and have never had a failure in the line itself only in the fluorocarbon leader. I hear the comments about reels causing wind knots and I am not positive this is the case. I only fish Stradics and I've experienced countless wind nots, especially on reels that have brand new PP on them. I do all the things that are suggested (close bail by hand, etc) to reduce the occurrence of them but still have problems. As the line ages and settles on the spool I see a great reduction in the number of wind knots I get. I have reels that have had the same 20lb PP loaded on them for over 5 years, no breaks, knots, or problems whatsoever.

Now all that said, at the suggestion of other forum members in the "what color PP" thread I spooled up my topwater rod with 20lb Suffix Performance this past weekend to see what all the fuss was about. Although I did not land a large fish on it (did fishing just suck for me or were they just not biting?) I didn't have the first wind knot after hundreds of casts. I really liked the performance of the line, good cast ability, held the uni-to-uni knot for the leader well, and smooth as silk. If I can find a source to purchase Sufix Performance in bulk I will replace the PP on all my inshore rods. I like it.
    img2672t.jpg1-1.gif?1244922342
    2009 Maverick HPX Micro
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    I too have had bad experiences with PP. Sufix is the best I've tried, and Spiderwire is the worst, oh and Stren white infused is GARBAGE. I actually had a fish burn the line and it turned black and snapped. I too use Yozuri leader.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    I am here to tell you Tufline Duracast is way better and just a few dollars more than PP.

• Anonymous 1Anonymous 1 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I have Power Pro on nine out of ten of my reels. Some of them have had the same braid on them since day one (+/- 5 years for the older combos). I am primarily an inshore guy but I do have Power Pro on my Tarpon rods too. My lighter spinning reels are all Stradics and I can count on one hand the number of wind knots I have had. I use 10-15lb line on those. I have no complaints about the line. I haven't had any issues with breakage or knot failure. Color fades, but it doesn't bother me.

With all that said, I just picked up a Curado baitcaster that I spooled with Suffix 832 20lb. No real good reason to try a new brand. Lots of hype, funny commercial, new technology?? I guess I just wanted to try something different. I haven't been able to fish it yet, but I'm sure it will be just as good.

Just like most aspects of fishing, what works for one, may not work for the other. This is something that you can ask the same question to ten guys and get ten different answers. Pick one out and give it a rip. You have to see what works for you and your style of fishing.
  • jah sonjah son Posts: 236 Officer
    PP over 65# (maybe 50# too) is made by a different process and a different manufacturer than the lighter stuff. They DO "splice" or whatever you want to call it new threads in when one gets to the end, and weave it in, creating weak spots. It's so they don't have to stop and re-thread all new fibers, just weave in a new one.

They do this so they can fill massive wholesale spools of the stuff to ship, and it's all one continuous thread. They ship it to a packaging plant and then cut it to length and package it in smaller retail spools. The only retail brand I know 100% does not do this is FINS. They start a new batch with all new fibers, and use smaller batches for shorter spools, larger/longer batches for bigger spools.

PP caused too many "mystery breaks" where small fish broke 65# line in the middle of a strand, not at a connection and I no longer use PP anymore because of it. If you have any on your spools you can just let out a significant amount of it and reel it back in and feel it or look at it and the "thin" spots will be obvious. That's why they supposedly "over test" it and claim 65 breaks at 80 or more, etc. But it doesn't work, so it breaks at the weak spots.

The confusion is because they make higher tests differently than smaller tests.

I've had great results with the cheap Chinese Dyneema you can get off Amazon or Ebay. If you want to buy American, FINS is the only one I can recommend and have used and it's great.
    Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    I am the one that did abrasion test with several lines and published the results on my web space so others could see. Most of the braids were pretty much the same. A few were better at abrasion resistance then others and all but one was very good at keeping the roundness. It all depends on what you have confidence in. The Sufix 832 sinks where the other braids in the tests were pretty much floaters. http://home.comcast.net/~estero69/site/

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• FlagtailsFlagtails MiamiPosts: 577 Officer

I agree. Power Pro is garbage. I've had it break/fray on me three times. Once with 50 lb and the next with 65 lb. then I quit using it. I posted these experiences in various forums to see if maybe I had gotten a couple of bad spools and to my surprise there were countless other anglers that had the same experience.

What happens is that the line seems to come apart. It seems to unravel. When you look at it it would seem that you have a bad guide with a break it it and the line got caught up in it, but I tested the guides and the inserts and they had nothing wrong with them. On the first occasion the rod was a new custom built with Fuji guides. Oh, and NO it did not come in contact with a rock or coral, the line was being reeled in and was off of the bottom. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the stuff.

Now I use Tuffline and I have never had a problem. I would never recommend Power Pro to anyone.

Juan
  • FlagtailsFlagtails MiamiPosts: 577 Officer
    jah son wrote: »
    PP over 65# (maybe 50# too) is made by a different process and a different manufacturer than the lighter stuff. They DO "splice" or whatever you want to call it new threads in when one gets to the end, and weave it in, creating weak spots. It's so they don't have to stop and re-thread all new fibers, just weave in a new one.

They do this so they can fill massive wholesale spools of the stuff to ship, and it's all one continuous thread. They ship it to a packaging plant and then cut it to length and package it in smaller retail spools. The only retail brand I know 100% does not do this is FINS. They start a new batch with all new fibers, and use smaller batches for shorter spools, larger/longer batches for bigger spools.

PP caused too many "mystery breaks" where small fish broke 65# line in the middle of a strand, not at a connection and I no longer use PP anymore because of it. If you have any on your spools you can just let out a significant amount of it and reel it back in and feel it or look at it and the "thin" spots will be obvious. That's why they supposedly "over test" it and claim 65 breaks at 80 or more, etc. But it doesn't work, so it breaks at the weak spots.

The confusion is because they make higher tests differently than smaller tests.

I've had great results with the cheap Chinese Dyneema you can get off Amazon or Ebay. If you want to buy American, FINS is the only one I can recommend and have used and it's great.

This is the best explanation that I've read about the "mystery" breaks. Not a mystery just poor production standards. Maybe that why they were sold to Shimano. Just stay away from the stuff. There are many better brands.

Juan