Jacksonville Offshore Fishing Help

GreyBoatGreyBoat Jacksonville, FLPosts: 4 Greenhorn
I'm completely unexperienced in offshore fishing in Jacksonville, FL but really want to start catching Kings, cobia and all that good stuff. I have a 22 foot bay boat that I've been told can go up to 15 miles off the coast of Jacksonville and have heard 9 mile reef is awesome. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to fish within 15 miles of the Mayport jetties, what to fish with and how to fish it. 

Replies

• Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 639 Officer
    Myfwc.com will have all the public reef numbers posted. Plug them into your bottom machine and start fishing. 22ft boat is plenty if it’s in good working order and you have all the safety equipment. Know how to contact seatow on your radio if it hits the fan. Best bet right now is netting pogies if you can find them and slow troll them on stinger rigs on nearshore reefs. Can buy prerigged stingers on amazon or bass pro. Good luck and post any action, this forum has a wealth of knowledge. Use the search for specific questions. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 639 Officer
    Also post this in the northeast region and you’ll get more responses 
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Net some porgies on the beach and slow troll south towards the red tops.those are condos with redtops. Kings and cobia this time of year.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,570 Captain
    You can go way further than 15 miles. You're only limited by fuel burn and weather.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • family timefamily time Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    You have to get a sea anchor to get your boat to go as slow as possible. Like a controlled drift. Live bait pogies and zig zag in 30 to 40 feet along the beach, the red tops are south just run the beach till you see the red top condos