Late June 10K camping trip planned

Hey folks,

I left Florida and moved back home to Canada almost a year ago (after almost 2 years in Tampa). Although it's nice to be home with friends and family, Florida (specifically, the 10K) still holds a big piece of my heart(!).

I'm planning another kayak/camping shark fishing trip to the 10K for a couple of nights some time between June 24-28. You may have seen my previous report from a couple years back (it's long, but if you're bored, you can scroll down and see it in this thread: https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/245622/overnight-tent-camping-trip#latest).

You all gave me great advice the last time around, so I figured I'd check in again for a few pro tips...

1.) Late June camping + Everglades = Insane. I know this, because I lived it for a short overnight trip. Also because you all warned me in advance! I'd like to spend 2 nights this year, rather than just one. Am I beyond crazy? Be honest.

2.) Tiger Key - you all recommended this spot and I loved it. Has anything changed out there the last couple of years? I camped on the little spit of land on the north/east corner back then, but I know storms/currents/tides can shift things around, so I'm just wondering if there's anything I should look out for in that regard.

3.) Any other major navigational changes or hazards I should be aware of between EC and Tiger key?

4.) Is there anyone out there that sells/delivers refreshments? Last time I burned through 2 gallons of H2O in less than a day, and I'm worried I can't lug enough water out there for 2.5 days on my kayak. It would be great if I could make some arrangements in advance to get some hydration out to Tiger Key.

5.) How's the fishing?

Thanking you in advance for any insights. Wishing you all tight lines and big fish 'till then!

Cheers,

MoB

Replies

• flredfishflredfish Belleview FLPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Tiger Key has always been my favorite place to camp in the 10K. The spit on the NE side is still there and accessible. 
    Triton 220 LTS Pro
    200 Yahama
  • BobberBobber Posts: 931 Officer

Welcome back to both you guys.

MoB, listen to what Flredfish has to say, he spent an entire week camped solo on Tiger! (well, he did have his buddy Jack with him)

Tiger is still your best choice, it didn't change much from Irma. EVC did tho, the ranger station building is gone, temporarily replaced by a trailer - still open and functioning tho. Oyster House is closed and up for sale in is/as is condition along with Glades Haven next to it. Otherwise most of the places damaged by the surge have been repaired and re-opened.

I will be over there 6/14-6/17 and will post a bug report so you know how much plasma to bring.

• MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 115 Deckhand
    We are supposed to start getting a little more standard rains in these parts starting this week. Should make the bugs nice and happy. I think theyre actually attracted to bug spray......
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 170 Deckhand
    We are supposed to start getting a little more standard rains in these parts starting this week. Should make the bugs nice and happy. I think theyre actually attracted to bug spray......
    Yeah, the bug juice helps a bit with the skeeters, but I swear it is like gravy to no-seeums.
    I did a two night trip to Jewel, brought 4 gallons of water with me, drank about 2, but it was nice weather. I would easily go through 4 gallons this time of year. My 13 ft kayak(vibe sea ghost) felt a bit heavy on the way out, but not unsafe. My dad carried the same amount of water in a 12 ft evoke(wildy tarpon 12 clone) with no problem.
    Camping in that area is a bit of a catch 22. The better fish are all inside on the oyster bars and up the rivers in the winter when the camping is good on the outside, and when the big fish move outside, the camping conditions deteriorate. These last 3 weeks might have been the perfect time. Dry season extended so we had nice weather and less bugs than normal, but the fish were stacked up outside. I wish I could have gone. It is heating up quick and rains are picking up too.
  • Master of BaitMaster of Bait Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the feedback, fellas. You've got me PUMPED for this one. Looking forward to being out on Tiger Key. I'll lug out as much water as I can and stay out until I get thirsty, I s'pose :wink: .

I'll send out an update when I get closer to heading out to let you all know when I'll be out there. Pop by to say hello if you're in the area.

Cheers,

MoB
    I can cache some water jugs inside the treeline on Tiger when I'm going by on 6/16, will pm you where. Or if you can get there when I'm there be glad to bring you some supplies. During daylight hours anyway.....
    Bobber! That would be amazing - I would so gladly accept a couple of water jugs stashed on Tiger. The only concern might be whether the raccoons could get into them. What do you think? I don't fly down to Florida until 6/24, so I'm guessing I'll likely miss you. Would love to connect for a cold pint or three some time down the road though.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,285 Captain
    One additional possibility for some one with a paddle craft is to tie up a few extra jugs of water alongside your 'yak (one or two on each side so you're balanced, with hardly a bit of the weight being supported by your rig...) or canoe - so they're not in the boat at all.  Looks a bit funny but new jugs, properly sealed will hardly slow you down - and you're not adding weight into your hull.  Water jugs with built in handles (or old milk jugs, carefully cleaned and re-purposed work best for this...

Years and years ago when we routinely poled ourselves into areas where we were liable to get stuck on a falling tide more than once everything that could float (particularly coolers) went over the side to lighten the hull weight so that we could get un-stuck and back on our way.  The principle's not much different...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Hey Lemay - that's an excellent suggestion, thank you. Will definitely try that, just got to figure out how to keep it out of the way of the paddles.
    So MoB, 2 gallons of water cached on Tiger,sent you a pm as to where. Expected to get swarmed when I went ashore Monday morning under low dark clouds with little wind but no skeeters or noseeums,go figger? Maybe they all drowned? Rainy **** 4 days but good fishing when I wasn't dodging lightning bolts. There are slot reds in the area and snook are loving topwaters. 
    Expanding on what Bob said, look at a cheap inflatable pool ring with handles that you could tow to hang some 
    Wow man. Thank you Bobber! This is truly a community of good people. Feeling very fortunate to have connected with y’all on the forum. Look forward to doing so in person some time.

MoB
    Another question for y’all. I’d like to connect with a Goliath. Big would be great, but I’m not picky, just want to catch and release one as I haven’t got one before. I’ve read/heard there are lots of them in the 10k. To catch one, would you recommend tossing some bait tight to mangroves and target deeper undercut banks? Any tips much appreciated 👍
    edited June 21 #15
    You're on the right track - they really like undercut banks in a bit deeper water - but these days the smaller ones are everywhere (usually when you're not expecting it) so any downed trees in more than three feet of water might have a five to 20lb goliath hanging out underneath all those tangles... More than one guy swore he'd lost a monster snook in a downed tree -but it was probably a goliath... 

When I really want my angler to tangle with one I look for any islands with deep water next to the bank - then try to locate any corners where there's current on one side and calm water on the other... If there's a fish there it will be in the calm water as close to moving water as possible.  The hassle is always positioning your skiff so that you're almost on top of where you suspect there might be a fish then simply drop a knocker rig with a small catfish (snap  off the barbs before using one as bait) or a live ladyfish  or mullet, etc. right on top of the spot... Fresh cut bait, I mean cutting a live fish so that the chunk (as big as the palm of your hand) is bleeding when you drop it.  Don't react to any bites that happen while your bait is on the bottom - wait until your rod starts to bend over then get on that fish.... Remember if you ever quit pulling on one - you'll lose...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Awesome! Thank you for that. Feel like if I dot catch one now.... well... I gotta work on my skills 😆. Much appreciated, lemay!
    Brother,I hope you ain t on that sand spit right now.....
    Do check in when you can and let us know how you are.
    Oh yeah. I was on my way out and had to improvise. That storm kicked my ****. Hunkered down in the mangroves for about 2 hours till it passed. It rained sideways. Was unbelievable. Slept on jewel and just got to tiger. Gonna look for those jugs. Thank you thank you thank you.
    I've had to hunker down in the mangroves a time or two down there when a storm rolled in unexpectedly. Did the water jugs survive the racoons?
    Let there never be any doubt that bobber is the coolest guy ever. I needed this so badly - would’ve had to leave a day early, going through water so fa

Bobber - the karma gods will remember this :)
    Most of us never give water a second thought... Bobber gets an attaboy from this corner....

Here's a tip from many years ago about water in places with no refrigeration.... Don't know if you can still find them but gallon bottles of rum used to come as a big glass bottle in a wicker or rattan basket... After the rum was long gone that big bottle made a superb water bottle for primitive conditions... since once it was filled with water you dunked it periodically  in the salt and the evaporation from the basket would keep the water cooler than the surrounding temperature... Another plus is that all of the water had a certain flavor... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    This post is a cliffhanger.  Forget the fishing report, we're all wondering if MoB is OK.
    Lol. Thanks for the tips, as always. So I made it through last night. It was.... challenging. Will definitely post. Recap when I reach dry land.
  • ckdarrowckdarrow Navarre, FlPosts: 6 Greenhorn
    MoB, Hope you were able to hook into your goliath and all is well. Very much looking forward to reading about your trip. 
  • hhfishermanhhfisherman Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Any update news from MOB?