Home General Freshwater Fishing

North Carolina trout advice anyone??

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,046 Captain
Heading to the mountains in a couple weeks for a change of pace ( and cooler weather).
Have not been up there in years.
 House on a hatchery creek( yes, I have read the rules... lots and lots of rules)
If anyone has any insight on best spinning rig baits ( arti’s or live)I would sure appreciate anything you got.
Looks like we will be in the 3rd or so month of releases, so hopefully can check one off the boys bucket list.
thanks, Brian
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I grew up catching trout.

Fish current edges and eddies and pools.  Try twitching the bait during the retrieve - nothing crazy, just a small bump to make it jump a little - can't really explain how i do it, makes a diff on the fish tho.

Bronze colored spoon was my favorite - my mom's fav is a gold little cleo.  Funny story - she and dad were in Idaho or someplace like that and the fishermen were following her around cause she was outcatching all of them.  LOL!

After the spoon I would choose a small countdown Rapala.

Late on the list is a 00 or 0 or 1 Mepps, silver blade with the red tube on the hook.  You can do well with panther martins and such but Mepps was my favorite.

Otherwise - drift a worm/nightcrawler into a pocket, pool, eddy on a hook.  Go easy on the split shot based on water depth.  Trout seem to like the bait drifting but folks do catch em with baits dead on bottom.

If you can fish a pond - get some meal worms, small hooks, and casting bubbles/bobbers.  Put the meal worm 18 inches or so down and toss it out.  They'll get it.

Have fun!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,046 Captain
    Thanks!
    I have several tiny rapalas and a few little rooster tails.
    I will look up the little cleo, not familiar but know enough to trust a mother.
    spoons on the list now too.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    Small Super-duper spoon in gold or silver. I crushed trout on them on a trip to Colorado . It looks weird but works.
    On the white river rapalas were the ticket. F9 floater , but trout were bigger and there were a lot of brown's.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Stimulator w/pheasant tail sulfur dropper
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • biglarbiglar Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Small Super-duper spoon in gold or silver. I crushed trout on them on a trip to Colorado . It looks weird but works.
    On the white river rapalas were the ticket. F9 floater , but trout were bigger and there were a lot of brown's.

+1 on the small gold Super Dupers - and, yes, they do look funny.  On the high mountain lakes of North Idaho, they out fished everything else combined - except flies.  (I lived there in the Clearwater River area from '76 - '84 and loved it - except the winters)

Interesting - fishing worms in those little Tarns (glacial pothole lakes) caught small 6" - 8" Trout all day.  One day when I was learning to fly fish, I was working a fly from shore on Lower Indian Post Office Lake and nailed a couple of 10 inchers - very rare on those little lakes.  Never caught one of those on worms.

Also interesting - no matter where I went around that little lake, the wind was blowing in my face.  Gentle wind, yes, but enuf to **** me up, along with the brush along the shore.  Made it fun for a newbie fly caster and I swore a blue streak.  HTH can the wind "always" be in my face ??  Didn't make sense.

Years later, when taking flying lessons on the Olympic Peninsula, WA, I found out why.

That lake water is cold.  As the day warmed up and the shore of the lake warmed, air would cool and settle into the center of the lake.  The warmer air around the sides would rise - picture a doughnut.....wind in your face.

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 764 Officer
    Salmon eggs on a small gold hook
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    If you cant get em on the artis, buy a can of corn and use a wire hook and split shot. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 764 Officer
    My buddy says delmonte corn is the best
  • tailingendloop77tailingendloop77 Posts: 801 Officer
    Don't use corn if you're planning on releasing them. It gums up their digestive system. Go with the Berkeley's powerbait. If you'd tell me where you'll be, I could give you better advice.
    Up above Murphy.
    Davis creek, looks like lots of choices near by. Not sure of access though.
    Crazy amount of rules and color coded maps.
    Catch and release ( mostly )

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Don't use corn if you're planning on releasing them. It gums up their digestive system. Go with the Berkeley's powerbait. If you'd tell me where you'll be, I could give you better advice.
    if corn hurt the fish, the steams would be full of dead fish 2 days after they stocked it.......rumor spread by Wind Knoters.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,183 Captain
    They tear that corn up in the parking lot at bass pro every year. I won a trolling motor for biggest fish of the weekend lol. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,694 AG
    No advice from me but have a good trip...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • cknowles673cknowles673 MississippiPosts: 34 Greenhorn
    Whatever you choose, pick a few different styles so if you need to switch mid day it'll be like fresh bait 
    Lostconch said:
    Salmon eggs on a small gold hook
    And we have a winner!
    Really small creek but held fish none the less.
    Glad I brought the little rods.
    Caught hatchery brook trout and wild rainbows. Very small but overcoming the challenge of figuring them out was rewarding as h e l l.(as most of you know)
    I’ll see if I can post a couple pics after I recover from my drive through Atlanta today.... I need a drink or 3.
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Late to the thread but NC has different regulated trout streams with different regulations.

Glad you caught some trout.

As a general rule a yellow and silver roostertail spinner lure with a single hook will catch trout on most NC streams, stocked, wild or otherwise.
    We mostly fished our little creek, spent one afternoon at Hiwassee lake and boys got some bluegills and some lake perch. (New one for them).
    Group of kids having a club tournament brought in a mess of nice bass while we were there.
    Thought about fishing Cherokee but a quick stop for a burger was all I could take of that place.
    Fun trip, 56 degrees up the mountain the morning we arrived.
    Kept 3 that were gut hooked,
    salt, pepper and brown butter.
    Easily the best  freshwater fish I ever ate.

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,321 Officer
    edited June 2019 #19
    Lostconch said:
    My buddy says delmonte corn is the best

LOL... we had to have only Niblets

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    I love that kind of fishing. Nice cool stream and feisty little trout.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,025 Officer
    How hard could it be to catch a trout in a mountain stream?  I heard my whole life from uncles how hard it is to catch a rainbow.  Looks easy as catching them in a barrel to me.   Need Proof, here proof.  Stopped to go to the rest room and walked over to a small creek and saw this in the mountains of West Virginia.   Dozens of rainbows around 15 inches just waiting for the bait to float down to them.   You can see that big ball of them.  Sadly my batteries died half way in the battle.  That was his number 6 for his limit. 

https://www.facebook.com/tim.carpenter.319/videos/2688381741236796/

Just pulling your legs about how easy it is to catch a Rainbow.  These trout were stocked in these creeks.   Place is Camp Creek State Park in WV.   Get off at mile marker 20 off of I 77.  Just a short drive, less than 2 miles to see a beautiful park with two waterfalls.

Image may contain plant tree outdoor water and nature

Image may contain plant outdoor nature and water
  • MuskiemanNCMuskiemanNC Posts: 134 Deckhand
    edited June 2019 #22
    The river upstream of the  lake has wild rainbow trout.