Home Sportsman's Kitchen

What's your favorite game meat to eat?

conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,972 Admiral
My favorites are Elk and Pronghorn which unfortunately aren't native to Florida. My favorite Florida game is North Florida deer and duck (Teal) as a second, 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Rabbit{fried} or Axis,
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,974 AG
    had an elk burger, and it was fantastic.   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,439 Captain
    My favorites are Elk and Pronghorn which unfortunately aren't native to Florida. My favorite Florida game is North Florida deer and duck (Teal) as a second, 

Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat Co.
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,265 Captain
    Elk, but I don’t get much of it. After that, venison and quail
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,242 Officer
    Lucy’s roast beef Sammich
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Venison, frog legs, wood ducks 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,102 Moderator
    It would be a close call between Moose and Elk
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 341 Deckhand
    Elk all day. Me and the wife get cow tags and we brought back well over 400 pounds last year.
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,972 Admiral
    Looks like Elk is a favorite. A Elk hunt is on my bucket list before I die. I hope I can fulfill that wish. Anytime I go out west and find a place that it is on the menu that is what I order, Even if it is "farmed' it is still good. Don't know why Bison is more popular than Elk commercially. Must be a $$  thing on the return investment.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 294 Deckhand
    My gator seafood sausage mixed with hushpuppies mix and eggs stuffed in small chilly peppers battered and deep fried is pretty dam good. Softshell is pretty tasty to, I guess the more rare items are on the top of the list deer and hogs are everyday food.
  • ALASKA GUYALASKA GUY Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Moose hands down
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Elk becomes eck after a while.

Acorn eating wild pigs to me are the best.

I had some garlic roasted tree ducks in Veracruz one time. Can't seem to replicate the recipe though.
  • AllenpeterAllenpeter USAPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Mine is wild hog 
    Blogger at snake proof boot | Traveler | Adventure Lover 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,207 Captain
    My gator seafood sausage 
    Care to share that recipe?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    I like most of it but frog legs and wood duck stand out. Elk too, but we don't have them.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    Reel Teal said:
    Venison, frog legs, wood ducks 
    Me too.  Add quail, hog, and a couple other duck species and it about rounds me out.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,207 Captain
    Venison tenderloin, seared quick after The butchering is done. Salt, pepper, olive oil and a splash of tabasco. 450 +degrees about a minute each side. Sliced with a dirty knife 😁 The best? Probably not. My favorite? Yep
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    4WARD said:
    Venison tenderloin, seared quick after The butchering is done. Salt, pepper, olive oil and a splash of tabasco. 450 +degrees about a minute each side. Sliced with a dirty knife 😁 The best? Probably not. My favorite? Yep

Hard to beat this. Cold in the middle, just salt and pepper and blood.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Right now I am having craving for Venison Liver. Pan fried with salt pepper Garlick onions and a little olive oil. Then add flour heavy cream and make a liver gravy. Pour over real mashed potatoes.
  • uplandbirddoguplandbirddog Gulf StreamPosts: 68 Deckhand
    @bicyclist @Allenpeter what're some of your favorite hog recipes? I have 4 deboned hams 
    @bicyclist @Allenpeter what're some of your favorite hog recipes? I have 4 deboned hams 

pulled pork comes to mind 1st. also slice into steaks and soak in milk, dredge in flour and chicken fry. make a carne guisada using the pork instead of beef. just fry pcs for breakfast ham.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,158 Officer
    Waaay back in high school days, if a guy was caught mast.u.r.b.a.ting, a common expression was he was "pulling his pork."  Visiting a friend in Wetumpka, Alabama in '03, I looked at the menu in a restaurant we stopped at and saw pulled pork on the menu....and nearly choked.  His girlfriend asked me what was wrong and I finally explained.  They got a chuckle.  Now, of course, I see it everywhere and am used to it but still grin inside.

Not sure what my reaction will be if I ever see "choked chicken" on a menu.
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    Zebra, hands down. Tastes like a filet mignon, ribeye, and NY Strip had a baby.  After that, Eland and Kudu.  I hate liver, but Oryx liver is amazing.

For US game, I'd say non-Florida venison, especially those from Wisconsin that have been stuffing their faces with apples for a month.  Have never tried elk but now I want to after reading the above.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,102 Moderator
    edited December 2020 #25
    Looks like Elk is a favorite. A Elk hunt is on my bucket list before I die. I hope I can fulfill that wish. Anytime I go out west and find a place that it is on the menu that is what I order,
    You don't have to go too far.  A friend just got married and went to Missouri for an elk hunt for his honeymoon.  Both he and his wife shot bulls, she with a rifle and he with a bow. 

FWIW, I like cow elk better than bull but I like moose better than either.

And for a moose you have to go far.  I've killed 3, all in Northern Alberta, near  Lake Athabaska.  Flew from Miami or Tampa to a friends house in Calgary, then drove 8 hours North to Slave Lake, then down a oil well road for another 1 1/2 hours to set up camp, then on 4 wheelers for an hour each morning to hunt.  We were on Crown (govt) land in the middle of an oil/gas field and had to purchase permits from the Indians

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,158 Officer
    There were plenty of Moose in the area of Idaho I lived in, but not sure about permits - think it's pretty tough.

There are Oryx within 100 miles of my home here and Ibex within 60 or 70 miles in the Florida Mtns near Deming.  (pronounced Flor-ee-da)  The Ibex are some tough hunting.  I've worked very  hard for pictures with no joy.  I'll hafta reformat those stories and get them out to y'all.  Don't know about the liver, but people here who've hunted and shot an Oryx tell me the meat is the best they've ever eaten, but apparently the color is strange....like purple or something.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that when I tried Elk in Idaho, the flavor and texture was great but it left a greasy film in my mouth, like mutton does, that was pretty unpleasant.  Once a friend gave me a steak from a rutting Bull Elk he'd shot and the stench of urine when it hit the pan was nauseating.  I threw it out in yard and my Labrador dog refused to eat it......and that's saying something.
    i like to use pig meat for Carne Guisada and Birria. both are beef dishes, but wild hog is just as good.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,974 AG
    i like to use pig meat for Carne Guisada and Birria. both are beef dishes, but wild hog is just as good.

Birra tacos with ramen and consume....yes... 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality

Birra tacos with ramen and consume....yes... 
    have you seen the" Views On The Road" you tube Birra consume recipe? we tried it and i was drinking the broth it was so good.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,616 Captain
    Gobbler breast. Trimmed and sliced thin, coated with everglades fry mix and flash fried in peanut oil. 
  • pinseekerpinseeker Posts: 74 Deckhand
    wood ducks, close second elk