Guardians of the Glades

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,687 Captain
Looks like that show about catching pythons, that they were recruiting for on here, starts next tuesday on Discovery.

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,687 Captain
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 332 Deckhand
    spangler you owe me a hour of my life back      i watched that mess cause of your post :)
    edited May 30 #4
    Lol, i didnt even watch it myself :D i did however have a producer contact me about it when they were seeking people on here and agreed to chat , about 30 seconds into the phone call i realized it would be a chit show haha oh well...
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,274 Admiral
    Everything on TV is a chit show.  
    Remember when the channels that show this stuff used to show real nature shows, history shows, etc? So sad. 
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant Posts: 169 Deckhand
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 420 Deckhand
    We got rid.of directv couple.months ago and now stream all TV through WiFi I guess but there's literally hundreds of diy hunting and fishing channels about half are garbage but I've found a few that show it exactly how most people enjoy the outdoors. There's even a channel 24/7 about only tying fishing knots if someone gets that bored 
    I went to sleep the other night watching a guy build a cabin in the woods from scratch w/hand tools.  TY channels have replaced tv.  I hope TV as we know it know just dies.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,271 Officer
    I was hoping it would be some hell raising guys from South Fl. 
    Natty lite and right 

I was wrong 

the show sucks 
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 399 Deckhand
    zimmy4209 said:
    We got rid.of directv couple.months ago and now stream all TV through WiFi I guess but there's literally hundreds of diy hunting and fishing channels about half are garbage but I've found a few that show it exactly how most people enjoy the outdoors. There's even a channel 24/7 about only tying fishing knots if someone gets that bored 
    There's one on youtube I like. It's called the hunting public.
    edited June 1 #11
    Well I watched it..
    Honestly, I didn't think it was utterly unwatchable, even though I almost stopped 20 seconds in when he was rolling around on the ground and 'letting' a snake bite him on the wrist..  pretty hokey.  And misinformation, can't stand that.  Take em a few years to get rid of all the snakes lol  Save Florida lol  And since when is Myakka the Everglades?? lol
    But the cast seems like fairly good and decent people imo.  Not quite comfortable on camera yet was my impression.  I'm sure those LA producers will turn them all for the worse.  I'm sure it won't be long before I can't even stomach watching it.

fwiw, I think the rates they are getting for the snakes is pretty interesting.  I took the class and applied for the permit a year or so back.  And never heard ANYTHING back.  I guess like everything else, they only want to pay a select few and keep it in the family... As opposed to actually trying everything possible to fix the problem.  You'd think they'd be permitting anyone with interest/motivation.  And opening gates....

edited June 9 #12
    It is a racket!!!!
    The most recent episode states that there are only 25 people permitted to remove pythons under the fwc program!
    I know there is nothing stopping me from hunting snakes independently but they are only going to pay a chosen few.  Not only that, they will only get data from the chosen few.  Now I know why I didn't receive a permit and my follow up inquiries went unanswered.  Total BS!
    The guy on the show actually complains about the competition being 'bad for his bottom line'......
    Does FWC and the state want to fix the problem or just create an industry for a few privileged individuals??
    And the misinformation of the show continues.... so much.  It's actually blatantly embarrassing.  Ughhhhhhh
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,606 Captain
    They have created a profession for some who will now protect it. 

Wouldn't be surprised if somebody figures out seed stock gives them a raise. 
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,309 Captain
    spangler said:
    It is a racket!!!!
    The most recent episode states that there are only 25 people permitted to remove pythons under the fwc program!
    I know there is nothing stopping me from hunting snakes independently but they are only going to pay a chosen few.  Not only that, they will only get data from the chosen few.  Now I know why I didn't receive a permit and my follow up inquiries went unanswered.  Total BS!
    The guy on the show actually complains about the competition being 'bad for his bottom line'......
    Does FWC and the state want to fix the problem or just create an industry for a few privileged individuals??
    And the misinformation of the show continues.... so much.  It's actually blatantly embarrassing.  Ughhhhhhh
    25 permited trappers yes and those guys can get threw gates you and i cant . they dont make a living off it at all . 
    living life as i like
    They gotta keep all the redneck "any snake is a dead snake" out.  And you've seen the quality of species ID (for anything - fish, bird, snake) on this board.  If that's an example of the greater population of "sportsmen," and I think it is, best to keep them out of the swamp where they'd kill ever **** snake they found.
    edited June 10 #16
    Well, there was an application process where you needed to demonstrate competency.. guess that's not enough....
    And, you've got to bring them to check in alive.  So....
    edited June 10 #17
    The permit is basically to transport them alive legally.  Anyone can go out and kill them.
    I'd like to see that application process test.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,519 AG
    spangler said:
    Well, there was an application process where you needed to demonstrate competency.. guess that's not enough....
    And, you've got to bring them to check in alive.  So....
    lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    until fwc pays hunters a bounty to drop off the snake at there davie location not many guys gonna fire off a round first thing in the morning or start slinging 35.00 a piece arrows at a snake and risk screwing up there deer hunt trying to whack off a pythons head with a machete.     only 25 people getting paid money for each snake they kill and none off them are guys who hunt the glades on a regular basis   archery muzzleloader gen gun small game      just a bunch of guys riding the levees       with this plan more snakes being born every year than being killed     great news for the 25 getting paid bad news for the native wildlife.  
    meateater said:
    until fwc pays hunters a bounty to drop off the snake at there davie location not many guys gonna fire off a round first thing in the morning or start slinging 35.00 a piece arrows at a snake and risk screwing up there deer hunt trying to whack off a pythons head with a machete.     only 25 people getting paid money for each snake they kill and none off them are guys who hunt the glades on a regular basis   archery muzzleloader gen gun small game      just a bunch of guys riding the levees       with this plan more snakes being born every year than being killed     great news for the 25 getting paid bad news for the native wildlife.  
    i would think almost any hunter who sees one will try to kill it no matter what they are doing . and more like 50.00 a arrow.
    living life as i like
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 265 Deckhand
    $50 an arrow? What arrows are you guys shooting? I have bowhunted for 35 years. The last 10 years I have used 5575 Goldtip arrows and Slicktrick Magnum broadheads.. Less than $20 each, usually shoots thru deer and hogs leaving 2 nice holes and a bloody arrow stuck in the ground. No pythons up here so far, if I see one I will pick it up and put it in a bag...like the girl I saw on TV...
    RobertR said:
    $50 an arrow? What arrows are you guys shooting? I have bowhunted for 35 years. The last 10 years I have used 5575 Goldtip arrows and Slicktrick Magnum broadheads.. Less than $20 each, usually shoots thru deer and hogs leaving 2 nice holes and a bloody arrow stuck in the ground. No pythons up here so far, if I see one I will pick it up and put it in a bag...like the girl I saw on TV...
    easton axis arrow luminock and broadheads add up fast 
    living life as i like
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    edited June 12 #25
    meateater said:
    i would think almost any hunter who sees one will try to kill it no matter what they are doing . and more like 50.00 a arrow.
    Agreed - First and only one I've killed was at the end of a grueling day of photography out in eastern Big C just N of US 41 with a pro photographer environmentalist who had never killed a thing. We ran over a 14 footer first than spent an hour and a half chasing it and trying to kill it. I mean it was a war of wills - the thing just wouldn't die after being speared in the head (albeit off center a half inch) and run over by the photographer small SUV. Finally well after dark I got his head cut off to make sure he wouldn't do anymore harm. After the beheading the photographer John Bob said he never knew what hunting was like - so exciting - I said - well it isn't usually 1 1/2 hour hand to hand combat scenario. ;)
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    edited June 20 #26
    OBTW it got frisky again after photo was taken - and went on and on wiggling to escape again but lost it's head in the end..
    no freaking way guys i know who have scouted  found rubs,put out game cams ,are gonna climb down from there stand to kill a snake     basically blow your whole morning hunt and area for nothing         if there walking outa the woods   maybe         point is they should pay the bounty to who ever kills and checks in the snake      thought the plan was to kill as many as possible.  
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,808 Captain
    I’d shoot every $40 arrow I had and throw my bow at that one in the pic above if it came crawling by. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 420 Deckhand
    I’d shoot every $40 arrow I had and throw my bow at that one in the pic above if it came crawling by. 
    Amen to that it must be what they call a phobia because any of them other than a garder snake is what's kept this fella out of the woods waiting for the first hint of light so I can see where I'm stepping and snake boots don't make me feel any better.spiders dont bother a swarm of bees dont until they're all over me. 10 foot gator doesn't bother me till he's chewing on my leg but can't get fear of snakes shook out of me I hate it. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,391 Captain

Why arent the Pythons treated the same as the Lionfish?  There are state sanctioned Lionfish roundups, contests, promotions, etc. etc.  I hear and see the same message over and over "Go out and remove Lionfish"

Pythons?  Gotta pay someone.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,190 AG
    The show has only one redeeming trait......

Man, the rack on that girl!  LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you