Home General Fishing

Reel suggestions for 7ft 17-40lb conventional StarRod

bass2beach25bass2beach25 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
So the latest Strike Zone tent sale got the better of me and I picked up a 7ft 17-40lb 3/4-4oz Star Rod. Just incase anybody is curious the model number is PC174070ST. I had an Avet SX 5.3:1 that needed a rod so I threw that on it. I like the size of the Avet SX for the rod but it only has 15lbs of drag. Does anybody have any suggestions for a comfortable reel that is around the same size with some more drag? Looking to use the setup for like bull reds, drifting muttons, and as a nearshore bottom rod. Thanks in advance

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 962 Officer
    15lbs of drag is a fair amount. I wouldn't want much more 
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 98 Deckhand
    What about an sx raptor? But for me the sx is funny feeling on that type of rod and feel the perfect reel for that is an mxj raptor. 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,228 Moderator
    How long do you think you can hold 15# up on the end of a 7' pole.  15#s is more than enough for your stated type of fishing and targeted fish
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,098 AG
    edited May 2019 #5
    I agree with Lostconch and Jack.  I'd be surprised if you really need more than 15lbs of drag.   Certainly not for redfish or drifting, but perhaps if you're into really big nearshore bottom fish.

If you're absolutely dead set on more drag, I'd pick up a Penn Senator, or even one of the heavier Avets if you like a higher-end reel.  The Shimano Tiagra, with 30+ lbs of drag, is another higher-end choice.

But really, I think you'll be just fine with the Avet.  15lbs is a lot of drag.
  • bass2beach25bass2beach25 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input everyone, if they made a tiagra or penn torque in a comparable size I would’ve chose one of those. I was thinking it was enough drag like you guys said, but I figured I’d see what else was out there. 

Thanks again
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 994 Officer

When is 15 pounds of drag not enough for a rod only rated for 40lb line?

I understand Avets have very steep drag curves, which can leave you feeling like you're either in free spool or at strike, but you'd still have the option to move past the indent to full.  I haven't kept up with max drag reels, but isn't Avet a leader in this area?  Maybe Accurate?