"Cobia!!" Short Homosassa Day 5/16/2019

Ruff OneRuff One CaptainHomosassaPosts: 1,963 Captain
          Returned from our spring turkey hunt at the farm in Missouri with success. After a seven day chase, I finally filled my tag with this almost 24lb gobbler. 

Of course the whole time I am hanging out there, I am thinking about cobia fishing. So, I practiced on what I call my pond cobia. Great fight on ultralight rods and reels.

Well, we headed home to find the wind pretty much blowing everyday. We waited and finally today looked like the one. It was! Nice east wind in the morning with it switching to the west in the afternoon. Perfect for chasing cobia. 
           Crew was Gary and Mrs. Ruff. Got about 3 dozen pins and headed out to a new rock I found out in 18ft. Got set up and pour the chum in. We used our redirigs to put our pins at 12 ft. Chaos followed!! Cobia were coming in the boat at a steady rate. We boated 6 before the sharks moved in. Here's where the short day comes in. Not a one was legal. All shorts. 
           After some major sharks catching, we made a move to another rock near by. Got set up again and here come the cobia again. This time we put 2 more in the boat,again short! They were all different cobes. I know because my tagging applicator kept screwing up and I had some marks to look at. Only got one tag in. I am not going to be tagging any more unless I can find a decent tag applicator. 
      We when 8 for 8, with Gail being the leader on catches. Me and Gary ended up being excellent mate boys!! 
      Have plenty of cobia pics, so here it goes.

Gail with another one.
Gary with a few.

One that got tagged.

I get my pic.

Wow, we are wore out! Between the cobia and sharks, and a few grouper thrown in, we crawled back to port. We kept at it, with a positive thought that the next one would be legal. Next time! There is a break showing for the next few days for the wind pattern. We will definitely take tomorrow off, but we will be visiting those rocks soon! 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Officer Posts: 1,358 Officer
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Captain Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,641 Captain
    Nice bunch of string stretchers there. 👍
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Officer Posts: 1,423 Officer
    Man, you got it dialed in. Lot of fun for sure. Keepers will come. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Officer Homosassa, FLPosts: 516 Officer
    Turkey and cobia, smiles and grins!  You two and the occasional mate just keep the rest of us wishing!  Good job!  Look forward to your posts.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Officer Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,033 Officer
    Keep at it. There's some bigger ones mixed in.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • JustDaveJustDave Deckhand Jacksonville FlPosts: 194 Deckhand
    Well done keepers or not! You keep catching those numbers and a giant is bound to come along in the mix. 
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Officer Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Nice! Lots of action! I think a lot of folks were starting to wonder where the cobia were this year. 
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 9,993 Moderator
    Looks like a push of smaller males ?  Bigger cobia used to be closer in this time of year if memory serves.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RayIRayI Greenhorn Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Good job. Have to get bigger. Ruff are you heading NW or SW out of Homosassa . Don't want a spot but I generally put in CR . Been heading just beyond barge canal w/o any luck. I can always go to Mcrays and head south.
  • Ruff OneRuff One Captain HomosassaPosts: 1,963 Captain
    We are actually heading nw toward Crystal River. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattb78mattb78 Deckhand Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Great post and report.  Pretty interesting little contraption the red-i-rig, I just checked it out online.

Would you mind sharing the amount of lead and size of red i rig you use?  Seems like you need to match the weight of the sinker with the size of the redirig float for it to work correctly.

Thanks!
    We use the s300n. It really doesn't matter about the weight. I have used 1oz up to 3oz, depending on current. Right now I have been using a 2oz, and it has been able to keep the bait down. I put the slip sinker above the swivel with  a bead. then 3ft of leader. The bobber is a learning experience. We have figured out a buddy system. I bait hook and hold bobber, while someone else opens the bail and I let out the dept I want. Set bobber. Of course on their web site they show the mechanics. It works. We have ben able to set our baits were we think the cobia are hanging out. You can get real flustered, because it can tangle. Sometimes it doesn't release and you have to get bobber off in the middle of a fight.  Like I said, its a learning experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicknick Captain Crystal RiverPosts: 4,815 Captain
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Captain Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,828 Captain
    Now thatz what  I call some action!! I know you gize are looking for some grill worthy cobes but when you get a steady bite and keep those adrenal glands pumpin steady, I call that plain FUN!!! That 1st photo of Gail looks like her fish must have been real close? 
    Also, that's a massive Tom  your holdin Tom!!! Definitely Thanksgiving size!!! But my fav pic is of you holding that Big old line slimmer, what kind of cat is that?? Some sort of bullhead?? 
    Keep the posts comin Y'all!!!!! I'm living through your awesome fishing trips till I can finally get out there again!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    That's a channel cat. Stocked them 2 summers ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RayIRayI Greenhorn Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    We use the s300n. It really doesn't matter about the weight. I have used 1oz up to 3oz, depending on current. Right now I have been using a 2oz, and it has been able to keep the bait down. I put the slip sinker above the swivel with  a bead. then 3ft of leader. The bobber is a learning experience. We have figured out a buddy system. I bait hook and hold bobber, while someone else opens the bail and I let out the dept I want. Set bobber. Of course on their web site they show the mechanics. It works. We have ben able to set our baits were we think the cobia are hanging out. You can get real flustered, because it can tangle. Sometimes it doesn't release and you have to get bobber off in the middle of a fight.  Like I said, its a learning experience.

Ruff purchased a couple of redi rigs after a prior post of yours. Have been using w/o weight. just pinfish , 3 ft of floro leader under swivel then redirig 12 to 15 ft above. havent had much success the 2 times. Thought pin would naturally head to bottom. May not be case with any current?? i'll add some weight..
    You need the weight to get the bait at the depth you want it. Without weight pins will wander all over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]