FPI 5/15

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 764 Officer
Headed out around 7:30am.  Drop the lines in around 110ft and headed east.  Got 5 hits in about 45 mins.  That's the good news.  Bad news is one line break (there goes another new lure) and 4 non-hook ups.  Been having a lot of bad luck the last few times out.  

There was a little weed line around 250ft but no fish on it.  The weeds were very scattered and there were very few flying fish.  Its been a tough go the last few weeks.

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,691 Captain
    Yes its been tough offshore,but the king
    bite is great.
  • jman122jman122 33478Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Tough break on the missed fish, were you trolling ballyhoo?  I feel like all I have been getting lately are kingfish.  
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 764 Officer
    Yeah we were trolling ballyhoo....
  • Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Any speculation on the 4 non- hook ups ?  Have heard the king bite is really good. We went out of Boynton this AM, greeted by NE 10-15 and there were more scattered weeds from the mouth of the inlet out to 250, particularly heavy right around the 100' mark. So a wasted trip for me, really bumpy and just un- fish able for trolling. Hey but we got out there, beats sitting on the couch. 
    I would guess they were mahi.  We were out between 150 and 200 so i usually don't get kings there
  • Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Hopefully next time... It is truly one of the main reasons we keep fishing, the ones that got away
    Yeah I'm already game planning for the next time 
  • fagan59fagan59 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    newbie here...tell me about the flying fish? when I go out I come across them...is that a spot to fish ? help me help me..lol
    It is a good thing to see flying fish as they are a primary bait/food fish for fish like mahi; so it is good to see them. But (like anything in life there is always a but).  If the flying fish kicks up close to your boat as you troll that means you /the boat kick them up.  If you see them bust out of the water away from your boat that is a good chance that some big guy is trying to eat them.  If that is the case you can try to troll where they kicked up or in the direction of where they are headed as they are being chased.   

• BigNastyBigNasty Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Went out the other day as well.  I was told dolphin were in 80ft and didn’t believe them so I started in 140 where I saw scattered weeds and fliers and headed east. Found a nice weed line in 300 with blue water, birds, fliers , all the right stuff. Worked it for a couple hours before heading out further to 550 with not even a single bite. Came in to 100 and had a king sky rocket on us. Then hooked up on a nice 20+ lb cow in 85 ft. Lost another 25 lb bull in 80. Fish are really close which is weird to have them in green water with no fliers and no weeds 🤷‍♂️.  I was told and didn’t listen. 
    BigNasty said:
    Went out the other day as well.  I was told dolphin were in 80ft and didn’t believe them so I started in 140 where I saw scattered weeds and fliers and headed east. Found a nice weed line in 300 with blue water, birds, fliers , all the right stuff. Worked it for a couple hours before heading out further to 550 with not even a single bite. Came in to 100 and had a king sky rocket on us. Then hooked up on a nice 20+ lb cow in 85 ft. Lost another 25 lb bull in 80. Fish are really close which is weird to have them in green water with no fliers and no weeds 🤷‍♂️.  I was told and didn’t listen. 
    I was told the same thing.  I think I'll try shallow next time.  What did the phkns hit?
    Sorry phins hit?
    Yellow/green soft Fathom chugger ballyhoo combo in propwash. And the bull hit a naked on the outrigger. 
    BigNasty said:
    Yellow/green soft Fathom chugger ballyhoo combo in propwash. And the bull hit a naked on the outrigger. 
    Do you rig naked ballyhoo the same way with rigging wire?
    Same exact rig just without the skirt. Prob catch 90% of my fish this way on the outriggers out in clean water away from prop wash. 
    BigNasty said:
    Same exact rig just without the skirt. Prob catch 90% of my fish this way on the outriggers out in clean water away from prop wash. 
    Went out today....got some good news and some not so good news.  First the naked ballyhoo worked great.  It was by far the most active.  The not so good news is we lost 2 big mahi....one on the naked ballyhoo.  The first lost was a break off and the second happened on a bad gaff.  We got one nice one in the boat and 4 small ones.  We let the small ones go back to grow more.  Definitely going to make sure the naked is always in one of the outriggers.
    That’s awesome! Sorry about the lost fish but that’s what always keeps us coming back.