Battery questions

tdeim2tdeim2 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
Im pretty ignorant of my battery setup and im on the road getting some low voltage readings from cranking battery. I have 2013 167 with 24 volt trolling motors so 3 batteries. Also have stealth charger. Looks like front 2 are hooked in series and middle one is also hooked in parallel to back battery? Does outboard alternator charge one battery while running while stealth charges the trolling batteries? When i move switch from 1 to 2, that puts one of trolling batteries in parallel with cranking battery? Trolling batteries seem fine - when use the trolling motor test get 4 lights. Its cranking battery that seems to be dropping to 11v though no problem starting engine. On a 1.5 week trip - thinking of just going like normal and if cant start engine one dayi can just turn switch to 2 - would that be stupid? One final question - are all 3 batteries identical - i cant see the back ons which appears to be engine battery.
thanks for any info, help, advice

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    How old are the batteries? That may be your problem right there.
  • tdeim2tdeim2 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Going on 6 years
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    tdeim2 said:
    Going on 6 years
    Ding ding ding ding!!!!!! theres your answer!!
  • tdeim2tdeim2 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Kind of what i thought but i read somewhere these odyseses can get up to 10 years. Anyhow ill try to get through my trip since i think if i deal with it now ill pay too much and lose vacation days. But still interested if someone can explain to me how these things are wired and charged.
    thanks
  • SpookSpook Posts: 150 Deckhand
    I have the same issue as you, I think.  My boat has 3 TM batteries and one house battery.  I have to put my battery switch on all for the stealth charger to call all of the batteries, if it is on 1 it only charges the cranking battery.  This is when the boat is on shore power and when running.  I have the Stealth battery gauge so I can see what my TM batteries are at when running the boat.  I have a call into Danny at Stealth for a new gauge and when I get it, he and I are going to see if the battery switch is wired incorrectly.  
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 211 Deckhand
    The advertising may say ten years but that doesn't take into consideration every time you take the boat out you are putting the batteries on the tumble cycle
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold