Home General Freshwater Fishing

Northeast Florida pond fishing

I started bass fishing recently in small ponds around St. Augustine FL. I just do it from the bank, no boat. I was wondering what bait I should be using now that the temperatures are heating up and I'm guessing the bass are done spawning.

Some things to take into consideration are these ponds have little to no structure. They're either retention ponds or golf course ponds. Some have a lot of algae slime near the bank or bottom. The one I fished today had less algae and was basically a rectangle with only sporadic grass where the water was about 6in to 2ft deep. I dont know how deep these ponds are at their deepest but I image its not very deep.

The golf course ponds are still basically retention ponds but they let aquatic plants grow in and around them. Some have a few lily pads, cat tail and other things but most of the grass is just around the banks.

But these ponds do have fish. I have caught bass, blue gill, sun fish, bofin and saw some gar.

Replies

• DES51DES51 Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Can't go wrong with a plastic worm with a light weight. Plastic Senko type baits will always produce too.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,580 AG
    As I say a lot, a chatterbait was always my most productive lure I the ponds.  Work tight to the bank at sunrise and sunset.  Midday cast to the middle and slow your presentation down.

Captain Todd Approves

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Are you sneaking into the golf ponds or do they let everybody fish it? The reason i ask is because most are closed to anyone fishing...that's good because they don't get much pressure, but bad if you get caught a couple of times....when i fish them, it's always at night or late afternoon when they close up.... i also use plastic worms and Senko type worms but i never use a weight... if i want to fish in deeper parts, i just use heavier worms (larger) ....if they are busting the top then i will also use a frog... now if the veg is thick, i will use a setup with heavy braid to pull out any fish that might get me tangle up.... but remember not all lures will work all the time...so i try to keep three rigs with me and yes i also walk the shoreline... carry a backpack with all my stuff and work a area then move on to the next one.... lures to use in IMO frogs/worms/spinnerbaits and again i never use weights...change your retrieve from time to time to see what they like.. but most time Slow is king in ponds...good luck 
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 65 Deckhand
    I like the small retention pond fishing as well using light to ultra light tackle. My tackle is pretty much limited to 4" worms on a 1/0 j-hook with maybe a 1/16 or 1/8 bullet weight, or a 1/8 or 1/16oz size beetle spin.

• tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Redfish Magic in chartreuse/glow in the dark works good for me day and night. 
  • cknowles673cknowles673 MississippiPosts: 34 Greenhorn
    mplspug said:
    As I say a lot, a chatterbait was always my most productive lure I the ponds.  Work tight to the bank at sunrise and sunset.  Midday cast to the middle and slow your presentation down.
    AGREEDD