Boca 5-11...Heartbreak

Figured I'd rig some big bally to run w my big moldcraft blue and pink Chugger looking for some big fins. Get to the 52 and put em out and run the chugger on the shotgun. See some birds working and try to catch up to them...most disappear but one so I keep chasing him. 10 min  and it goes off...I grab the rod from the T Top and it's slack...so I drop it back and he slams it. Come tight and....snap...30# line breaks about 3/4 way to the fish. In the distance jumps this big bull fin...a good 30 I'd estimate, tailing my moldcraft behind him. He made it a point to do this 3 times and each time he was broadside and lit up and giving us the finger.
Fished that area for a while hoping for some others but nada...in fact only had one more hit in about 500 much later...small skippy. Was all the way to the 48 line at one point. Almost no weeds past 700
Probably have nightmares of that tonight.
:-)

Replies

• surfercrosssurfercross Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report. Better luck next time.

• JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 157 Deckhand
    Story of every fisherman's life at one point or another. I guess thats what makes it so so sweet when everything lines up and they end up in the icebox. Thanks for the report. 
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 143 Deckhand
    I am cringing reading this, so sorry for this loss.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,691 Captain
    I know the feeling as we worked the area i see
    the hi vis line go next to the boat .My brain said
    jump in and grab the line but you no as you get
    older your body dont react as fast.LOL
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 764 Officer
    I know the feeling...lost one last week.  It hurts even more when you don't get one after that to put in the fish box and you have to come home empty.   But there is always next time
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 107 Deckhand
    edited May 13 #7
    Oh yeah, I can relate too. Always wondered if they mounted our lure on their wall when they got home :p
  • NorthshoreNorthshore Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Time to re-spool MGD ;)
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,071 Officer
    Already done!
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,443 Admiral
    Time to re-spool MGD ;)
    And use a scale to set the drags
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,923 Admiral
    that...that'll take the starch right out of you. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Time to re-spool MGD ;)
    And use a scale to set the drags
    My drags are set at strike to 10#....always
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Sorry for your loss. Heading out Saturday hoping to retrieve your Moldcraft Chugger
    Frosty1 said:
    Sorry for your loss. Heading out Saturday hoping to retrieve your Moldcraft Chugger
    Just got 2 more off Amazon yesterday! Probably gonna hit it tomorrow, at least half day