help with near shore fishing the cape/ponce?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give out some advice on how to target the big bulls that patrol near the beaches outside of the cape and ponce inlet? I'd like to get the flats boat out there soon and hook into some but really don't have any idea how people are locating or rigging up for them. I'm used to skinny water but I've heard we can get into some fun with top water if you run into a school out there, but other than that what methods would work the best for those fish sticking closer to the bottom? I don't use live or cut bait very often, but I am not against it.

Thanks.

Replies

• ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 88 Greenhorn
    For Ponce Inlet, it's pretty straight forward, Put a strip of ladyfish on a 6/0 circle hook, 40 lb leader, send it down under a 3 oz lead.  If they are there, its usually pretty easy to find a few.  Some people use crabs, mullet, pinfish, etc.  Try one spot for 30 min, if nothing, move a few hundred yards,  I always did well fishing the drop of the marker that is closest to the north jetty. (I think its number 8).  Look on youtube for saltykayak, he consistently catches nice reds when fishing the jettys.
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    ShoNuff gave you solid advice. Stick to that and you’ll hook a 20-30 pounder soon enough.