curious about Fresh Water diving

Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 377 Deckhand
I was curious about if anyone dives in Freshwater and Saltwater.  I realize Salt is more buoyant, but how much less weight you need in Fresh?  Visibility different?  Anything else interesting about diving in Fresh?  Thanks.
visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net

Replies

• Bud in FlaBud in Fla Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I haven't dove in a number of years but I used about 3/4 of the weight I used for salt water when I was in fresh water. Fresh water diving is kinda limited. No ship wrecks most places, no reefs. I used to do a lot of river diving near Moncks Corner (Charleston), SC. We found old bottles and fossilized sharks teeth. On a good day we might be able to see 10 feet. River diving isn't for everyone - just the mental cases....
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 377 Deckhand
    Thanks Bud.  I thought some Blue Grotto cavern divers might be on this site..
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,820 Admiral

Lots of people cave dive in the springs around here (north central Florida).

Quite a few don't make it out. Not for me, nothing to see down there worth dying for.

• ivnivn gvillePosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Got certified young, was working on cave and my ears went wacky at age 18... back in '89. No more diving for me :(

But yes, I've done the springs, the spring run rivers, etc.  Well worth it, though snorkeling is perfectly cromulent.  Will keep you out of trouble and temptation for the caves.  But once you are certified and safe, and have good equipment and partners, oh my... so beautiful....

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,549 Captain
    I have less fear of Sharks than I do of Gators while diving. I'll stay salty.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 7,607 Admiral
    Cromulent... I like that.
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 377 Deckhand
    thanks for your comments..
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,893 Admiral

• Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,893 Admiral
    Only way I dive in Fresh Water!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,406 Officer
    There's a few spots in florida worth checking out at least once imho.  Springs and runs with clear cold water.  Keeps the lizards away or lethargic.  Never seen a big one in clear cold water.  Down river dives in a good run like Rainbow river or Ichetucknee are kinda cool bc you just drift downstream.  The crowds are the worse part and getting worse.  Best to go in winter actually.  Not sure if they still allow it but diving at 3 sisters in the winter is amazing with all the manatees. 

But yeah, no way I'm swimming around in a brown or black river or lake.  I've wakeboarded a few times in chain of lakes a few times, in my younger bolder days, but always got real anxious waiting for the boat to circle back after a spill even then.