Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Where to buy goggle-eyes?

flsailorflsailor Posts: 51 Greenhorn
edited May 2019 in General Paddle Craft #1
Now that Anglers in Dania Beach does not have goggle eyes for sale anymore, what is the best option to buy them for those of us that launch in Dania Beach?  Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• TugasTugas Posts: 207 Deckhand
    This post made me call Anglers and ask and this isn’t true they are still selling gogs and I just placed an order for 6 dozen . 
  • Rj102398Rj102398 Dania Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Angler’s bait  and tackle  sales   Goggle eyes for 36 dz fresh dead 
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    You could always try to catch them yourself, gotta be on the water around the pier while its still dark. larger sabiki hooks than you would use to catch pilchards, and helps to have a small jig at the end of the line (small though, like a crappie jig).
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,572 Captain
    jcanracer said:
    You could always try to catch them yourself, gotta be on the water around the pier while its still dark. larger sabiki hooks than you would use to catch pilchards, and helps to have a small jig at the end of the line (small though, like a crappie jig).
    To add to that, if youre just off the beach and see a perfect circle bait school (outside of the mullet run), thats likely large gogs.  You can jig them up with a Yellow Tail jig.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,988 Captain
    Bait fishing has been hit or miss off Dania.  Angler's Bait and Tackle is not so consistent about having live goggle eyes.  It is always advisable to call in advance to reserve or confirm.  I have waited outside that bait shop more than once for it to open 5-10 minutes late, and then be all out of bait.   Nice people run the shop, employees not always timely.  That said, I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this app, and what were the results?    https://www.findlivebait.com/
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    So true John. I didn't even bother fishing for gogs last weekend since I knew I was running late. I went to Anglers and got half dozen pilchards (which BTW is the smallest amount they will let you buy) and headed out there. Recently the amount of seaweed in the water has been a hindrance to sabiki'ing up bait AND fishing with it offshore.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • krashkrash Posts: 799 Officer
    If you have a net there have been Pilchards recently in the area of the boat ramp in Wiskey creek.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish