• JepoJepo Palm Beach GardensPosts: 29 Greenhorn
    Or something else?  
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Banded rudder?
    Or Equal? Hybrid?  
    Were gonna need a DNA sample. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,372 Captain
    edited May 7 #5
    Maxilla looks like a lesser to me. On Rudderfish you usually see some  of the bands although very feint and small white tips on the tail.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Well it tasted good, whatever it was :)
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    I would like to keep this thread going because I too have unanswered questions about the greater/lesser/ banded issue.
    ive caught many rudderfish, or what I assumed was, and never noticed the white tip. I have been told ruddefish have a slot size limit but the FWC site  currently doesn’t list any info . I’m beginning to wonder if the fish we call banded rudder is infact a lesser amberjack and calling it a rudderfish is a way to bypass regulations? Even more confusing is on the fish rules app under lesser amberjack they show a picture of what appears to be an almoco jack?
    https://fishrulesapp.com/fish/2/Amberjack,%20Lesser
    Can someone help clear things ups ?

• clarkefishingclarkefishing Pompano Beach, FLPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    Not Banded Rudderfish, not Almaco. I don't believe it's a Lesser. Almost looks like a really small Greater AJ. 

Point is, we don't know, and I believe in the Atlantic waters Greater AJs need to be at least 28" to the fork. Call me a jerk, but it's incredibly stupid to keep fish when you don't know the regulations or even not sure what the species is. No one here knows for sure the species, and a lot of actual FWC or marine officers can't tell the difference between an AJ and an Almaco. They can easily pull you over and write you a ticket for having an illegal fish. Not worth it.
    Jerk...  (lighten up, just because I showed a pic doesn't mean I didn't have info prior to taking, just might not have been good info)  Just started a conversation about a fish that is always a controversy!  

I am sure you are "holier than thou", and never took a fish that you shouldn't have!    ;)

clarkefishing said:
    Not Banded Rudderfish, not Almaco. I don't believe it's a Lesser. Almost looks like a really small Greater AJ. 

Point is, we don't know, and I believe in the Atlantic waters Greater AJs need to be at least 28" to the fork. Call me a jerk, but it's incredibly stupid to keep fish when you don't know the regulations or even not sure what the species is. No one here knows for sure the species, and a lot of actual FWC or marine officers can't tell the difference between an AJ and an Almaco. They can easily pull you over and write you a ticket for having an illegal fish. Not worth it.

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,443 Admiral
    I always keep fish that I am unsure of their legality that way the FWC can tell me what they are, the fines that come with the education is just part of the deal, plus you get to meet some interesting people at the court house waiting for your case to be called
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,154 Officer
    edited May 11 #11
    I think its a lessor but really need to see a close up of the face.If it has no black eye stripe its a banded rudder. If it does have a black eye stripe; The black eye stripe starts behind the eye on a lessor. The stripe starts at the nose and extends through the eye on a greater. Almaco has a taller body shape and and the dorsal fin starts real high creating a spike.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,376 Officer
    edited May 12 #12
    Greater AJ..........zoom in on photo and no scutes are present at base of tail. Not rudderfish as noted in above post no white tips on tail & rudderfish lips are thick and rubbery looking. Like a permits lips look rubbery compared to pompano, the rudderfish lips look rubbery compared to the other AJ's.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,351 Officer
    Hard to tell with that picture, 2 ways to tell the black stripe that starts at dorsal fin stops at eye of lesser AJ and goes past the eye of greater. Look at 1st gill the greater has around 20 finger like rakes and the lesser has around 25. The greater rakes don't go all the way to the connection point of jaw but the lesser they do go all the way to jawbone