Jupiter inlet. 5/7 gaffing and laughing

Cleared the inlet around at the crack of 9:30. Apparently everyone got the day off as the ledge straight out looked like a parking lot.
we decided to avoid the crowd and started around 75’ off the green roofs. Flat calm, slight NE wind .5knts of drift. Water looked good. Only managed 2 16” muttons on a flat line and a Bonita. Fish finder showed fish but they weren’t hungry. Out of bordom started free gaffing file fish. Got a good laugh, practice gaffing and they are excellent eating.

Decided to try deaper. Stopped at the inside of the ledge 95’. Found tons of blue runners, sharks and you guessed it

More filefish!!!

Moved out to the deep side of the ledge. More sharks and more....

At this point fishing for bottom fish was pointless as the sharks got everything so we went for the boat record of 18 filefish. It got messy, even the dog had blood on it!

We did it. 20 filefish all gaffed . Turned a slow day of fishing into some good eats.

Replies

• wilburzwilburz Posts: 965 Officer
    nice job!

Happiness is a belt fed weapon!

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 764 Officer
    you did better than us.  We went out from FPI.  Trolled everywhere and got skunked.  But it was a beautiful day on the water.  
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 834 Officer
    Never thought about eating File fish. Ok Next time in the boat.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Nice job on getting the file fish and 20!! Even better. I ate them for the first time last year and wow are they delicious. I saw a vid where they were free gaffing them, gonna try that myself next time
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,473 Captain
    File fish are the true "Dork Fish" - Whats amazing to me is they are absolutely delicious!  Nice haul there...

Pura Vida!
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 323 Deckhand
    Those files are good eating and very dumb. My oldest hits them with a three prong pole spear and enjoys it

They do have an ammonia smell that is cured by soaking in milk.

Was thinking maybe a bowspear might be fun too.