Shuffling school kids to and from school.....

King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,638 Admiral

What's the deal with parents these day???  I live in a neighborhood with lot's of schools near by and am always amazed at the traffic line up's for parents dropping their kids off at the front door of the school, or picking them up.  Cars are lined up for blocks to drop them off or pick them up.  Why don't they just drop them off near or on the school grounds and let them WALK to the door????

I grew up in the 80's, if I missed the bus, I was walking to school.  Normally I wait until after 9:00am to get out and do my things to avoid the craziness.

«1

Replies

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 28,092 AG
    edited May 5 #2
    Things are a lot different these days. Back in the 60s I walked or rode a bike 2 miles to school. Now days, most parents are worried the kid won't make it there between stupid drivers and crazy people. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 3,159 Captain
    A) my tender child WILL NOT!!! ride a bus
    2) my child WILL NOT!!! walk in bad weather
    and) he is such an idiot, he would fall in a hole looking at his phone
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 2,304 Captain
    edited May 5 #4
    My wife has taught at our kids school since Kindergarten and they will be with here though HS. It has made it super easy for us both getting the kids to school and their privates school tuition :-) Saved us $250K EACH!! 
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,827 Captain
    The media has done a good job of scaring people.

    Mine children go to private school. I don't trust the government to educate them. We drive the because no bus is available
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 1,504 Captain
    cadman said:
    Things are a lot different these days. Back in the 60s I walked or rode a bike 2 miles to school. Now days, most parents are worried the kid won't make it there between stupid drivers and crazy people. 
    Actually things are not different. It’s just that bad things are more publicized today. 
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,502 Admiral
    twice as many cars on the road today as compared to 20 years ago …

    cell phones

    texting 

    yeah, things do change. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

    Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,569 Captain
    In Dade County I am not sure they will let a elementary kid walk back and forth. An adult has to be there before they release them. Course if they ride the bus they can be dumped anywhere.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 4,513 Moderator
    King_Me said:

    What's the deal with parents these day???  I live in a neighborhood with lot's of schools near by and am always amazed at the traffic line up's for parents dropping their kids off at the front door of the school, or picking them up.  Cars are lined up for blocks to drop them off or pick them up.  Why don't they just drop them off near or on the school grounds and let them WALK to the door????

    I grew up in the 80's, if I missed the bus, I was walking to school.  Normally I wait until after 9:00am to get out and do my things to avoid the craziness.

    The deal is that they are worried and concerned about their child's safety and well-being.
    # 2 The school won't allow the children to be dropped off anywhere but at the school (as it should be). I can't imagine the chaos if kids were dropped off anywhere the parent wanted around the school .
    # 3 I imagine you have heard about the safety issues schools have encountered over the last decade or so. There are a lot more weird people running around with access to things they shouldn't have access to. Kids are far more closely supervised today for many reasons. It has nothing to do with walking and everything to do with security.




    ." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

    "There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

    mindyabizness

    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral

    # 3 I imagine you have heard about the safety issues schools have encountered over the last decade or so.

    Kids are in a lot more danger in the car driving to school than they are in danger from school shootings.


    Kids should ride the bus to school. Those soccer moms should stay off the roads.


    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.


    "The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 4,513 Moderator
    GA Fin said:

    # 3 I imagine you have heard about the safety issues schools have encountered over the last decade or so.

    Kids are in a lot more danger in the car driving to school than they are in danger from school shootings.


    Kids should ride the bus to school. Those soccer moms should stay off the roads.


    Did I say anything about shootings? Knives and baseball bats are more dangerous than weapons or so I've heard.

    ." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

    "There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

    mindyabizness

    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,123 Admiral
    Parents suck these days.  Kids suck.
    Schools suck.  Everything sucks.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,502 Admiral
    Parents suck these days.  Kids suck.
    Schools suck.  Everything sucks.

    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

    Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 28,092 AG
    GA Fin said:

    # 3 I imagine you have heard about the safety issues schools have encountered over the last decade or so.

    Kids are in a lot more danger in the car driving to school than they are in danger from school shootings.


    Kids should ride the bus to school. Those soccer moms should stay off the roads.


    Don't know the rules for buses now, but back when I was a kid, you had to live more than 2 miles away to catch the bus. We lived like 1.8 miles and did not get to ride the bus. When school busing kicked in when I was in the fifth grade, I did take the bus to the new school I was assigned to that was around 2.5 miles away. Then in the 7th switch to a middle school and back to walking or riding a bike. 

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,241 Captain
    I always thought staggering start time based on class made sense, to minimise traffic.  1st and 2nd grade start, 3rd and 4th are 15 minutes later, 5th 15 minutes after that.  But maybe it isn't that simple.    
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,345 Captain
    Scary times we live in. Parents are probably worried some pervert might grab the little ones. Even the buses aren't always safe. When I was a kid we walked everywhere, and people were for the most part kinder and watched out for kids and each other. We also hitch hiked to the movies or up town when we had a little cash. Can't do that today. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,476 AG
    Unfortunately times have changed with more sickos out there and kids are more "babied" and parents are more worried or scared. But, I do think if the bus runs by your house every kid should experience the ride and should ride it. . 

    What is sad is I pass several bus stops each morning. The kids aren't talking to each other. everyone of them is glued to a d a m n phone instead of interacting in conversation. To me that's the really sad part. Kids these days don't have conversation interaction that we did. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 373 Deckhand
    Definitely changed my 2 oldest daughters are in high school and there are almost 700 kids per grade with that many everybody can find a few they get along with you would think.   granted it was over 1000 miles from here but I graduated with 37 kids in my senior class. Most grades were around 100 but we were a small class. My mom was gone before I even woke up in morning if I missed the bus it was 3.5 miles of bike riding to get there. Micci man the bus stops are like that everywhere  30-40 kids and not one of them in tuned with anything that's going on around them. Can't see it getting any different either anytime soon it's amazing how different each generation is from the next  
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,449 Captain
    edited May 15 #19
    My wife has taught at our kids school since Kindergarten and they will be with here though HS. It has made it super easy for us both getting the kids to school and their privates school tuition :-) Saved us $250K EACH!! 
    Were you going to send them to Harvard Elementary School or something? My ex teaches at one of the best private schools in PBC. They’re not cheap, but they’re not 21K a year, either. 
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,449 Captain
    kellercl said:
    I always thought staggering start time based on class made sense, to minimise traffic.  1st and 2nd grade start, 3rd and 4th are 15 minutes later, 5th 15 minutes after that.  But maybe it isn't that simple.    
    They start high school, middle, and elementary at different times just for that reason. 
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 2,304 Captain
    pottydoc said:
    My wife has taught at our kids school since Kindergarten and they will be with here though HS. It has made it super easy for us both getting the kids to school and their privates school tuition :-) Saved us $250K EACH!! 
    Were you going to send them to Harvard Elementary School or something? My ex teaches at one of the best private schools in PBC. They’re not cheap, but they’re not 21K a year, either. 
    Actually my estimate was off. Pre-K to 12th is +-330K.

    Pre-School Age 3 $24K
    Grade 8 $29K
    Grade 12 $31K

    Fortunately we don't have to pay for it.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,449 Captain
    edited May 15 #22
    Where the heck is charging that much? Benjamin maybe? You can pay for college cheaper than that. There’s a private school 7-8 miles from you that is extremely high ranked, and it cost less than half that. Are you including room and board in that number? Imj St finished a performing arts building for a school in Windermere that’s a little more than the numbers you’re giving, but there arent any middle class kids there, for sure. Anyway, point is you can get your kids a very good private education for a lot less than 331k a year. And, **** long as it’s done correctly, there’s nothing wrong with home schooling. Unfortunately, a lot of people doing it are cheating their kids out of a good education. That comment in no way reflects on your wife. 
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 2,304 Captain
    No room and Board just tuition. 
    The Benjamin school is no where close to 7-8 miles us. 
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,837 Captain
    edited May 16 #24
    Depends on the private school. But Conchy is correct on some schools costing that much, like American Heritage in Delray and I think St Andrews as well. But that is at the extreme high end.  Others do not cost that much. St. Vincent’s and Trinity grades 1-8 aren’t that expensive running about  4800 (Trinity tuition including the other fees here) to 7000 a year. Neither are Pope John Paul or Lake Worth Christian.  These are just a few that are extremely reasonable. I can name more. We have our youngest at St. Joseph’s here in Boynton and  it’s about half or more than half of what conchy quoted above. But still that is a lot of money over 8 years ( actually 11 years, mine has been there since pre k). So whatever the amount, it adds up over time. That’s a lot of money through the year that could have paid for trips, boats, fishing, beer... lol...Our son is 8 so we have been checking out all these tuitions and how to get scholarships for some of the private high schools down the road. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,241 Captain
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:
    I always thought staggering start time based on class made sense, to minimise traffic.  1st and 2nd grade start, 3rd and 4th are 15 minutes later, 5th 15 minutes after that.  But maybe it isn't that simple.    
    They start high school, middle, and elementary at different times just for that reason. 
    Yeah but those grades are all at different schools.  I meant stagger times between grades at the same school.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,569 Captain
    kellercl said:
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:
    I always thought staggering start time based on class made sense, to minimise traffic.  1st and 2nd grade start, 3rd and 4th are 15 minutes later, 5th 15 minutes after that.  But maybe it isn't that simple.    
    They start high school, middle, and elementary at different times just for that reason. 
    Yeah but those grades are all at different schools.  I meant stagger times between grades at the same school.
    If you had to schedule the bus transportation for all these different starting times you might feel different, Plus most families have two or more kids in the same school. That would be a nightmare too.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,449 Captain
    2amigo said:
    Depends on the private school. But Conchy is correct on some schools costing that much, like American Heritage in Delray and I think St Andrews as well. But that is at the extreme high end.  Others do not cost that much. St. Vincent’s and Trinity grades 1-8 aren’t that expensive running about  4800 (Trinity tuition including the other fees here) to 7000 a year. Neither are Pope John Paul or Lake Worth Christian.  These are just a few that are extremely reasonable. I can name more. We have our youngest at St. Joseph’s here in Boynton and  it’s about half or more than half of what conchy quoted above. But still that is a lot of money over 8 years ( actually 11 years, mine has been there since pre k). So whatever the amount, it adds up over time. That’s a lot of money through the year that could have paid for trips, boats, fishing, beer... lol...Our son is 8 so we have been checking out all these tuitions and how to get scholarships for some of the private high schools down the road. 
    I was actually referring to LWC. I know how much their tuition is. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,241 Captain
    Gary S said:
    kellercl said:
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:
    I always thought staggering start time based on class made sense, to minimise traffic.  1st and 2nd grade start, 3rd and 4th are 15 minutes later, 5th 15 minutes after that.  But maybe it isn't that simple.    
    They start high school, middle, and elementary at different times just for that reason. 
    Yeah but those grades are all at different schools.  I meant stagger times between grades at the same school.
    If you had to schedule the bus transportation for all these different starting times you might feel different, Plus most families have two or more kids in the same school. That would be a nightmare too.
    Touche, you got me there.  My kids are twins, so I never consider that.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,128 AG
    I wanna know how all these parents have time to sit in those lines.  Doesn't anyone work anymore?   I walked to school from 2nd grade on, it was only a couple miles.   Then rode the bus in high school.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 2,304 Captain
    kellercl said:
    Gary S said:
    kellercl said:
    pottydoc said:
    kellercl said:
    I always thought staggering start time based on class made sense, to minimise traffic.  1st and 2nd grade start, 3rd and 4th are 15 minutes later, 5th 15 minutes after that.  But maybe it isn't that simple.    
    They start high school, middle, and elementary at different times just for that reason. 
    Yeah but those grades are all at different schools.  I meant stagger times between grades at the same school.
    If you had to schedule the bus transportation for all these different starting times you might feel different, Plus most families have two or more kids in the same school. That would be a nightmare too.
    Touche, you got me there.  My kids are twins, so I never consider that.  
    Not really the younger kids (released first) just hang out and go with the older kids. 
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 3,449 Captain
    Both mine attended LWC K-12. As I said, my ex wife teaches high school there, so we got a pretty good discount. I know it’s expensive, It you can do it way cheaper than $250K. The Benjamin School probably cost that. 
Sign In or Register to comment.