Mistakes get made

I will let you guess what happened.  I will say that the only GIANT mistake I have made that sends me home is forgetting my sunglass's. This was a mistake but when I realized it...I was already out.

I was just a little late getting going so was trying to hurry. I grabbed my fishing clothes out of the dryer and did not see something...that I would later remember.
Launched and headed to the first spot and started throwing the Key lime CAL...when I realized... Dang it...I forgot my elbow brace and wrap... I was hoping a snook and trout would come fast & easy...they...did not. A pulled fish and a ladyfish ...bumped some big snook and spent way too much time throwing at some Tarpon. Literally, a wasted hour. I ran south and first stop pull a 20 inch snook....and before I finished that spot I had a sub slot Trout. I was happy because my right arm was getting sore from casting.
So, now I went looking for enough conditions to sight fish so I could just leave my arm at my side. It took a while to find one...but I was lucky it was hungry and wailed the finger mullet.... 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PEbg9xIl.jpg[/img]

It was only 9:15 so I ran to another spot...bumped off a pair of nice Trout on a point....but right behind them...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HzR0yJ1l.jpg[/img]

So that is #11....and 6 in a row....  I'm not sure how long I can keep this run going....It was windy and that is bad for water clarity.
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,185 Admiral
    I'd have called the old lady to run the brace out to me.. Whereever I happened to be - the nearest road on land.  

That's what I'd have done.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Been there...now I keep a crappy old pair in both of my boats.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,155 AG
    Been there...now I keep a crappy old pair in both of my boats.
    i've got my backup chitty sunglasses in the truck always.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,164 AG
    I wear RX sunglass's.... and they ain't cheap !  I don't have "spares" 

I may put a ACE bandage in a zip lock in the boat...not ideal but better than nothing.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I'd have called the old lady to run the brace out to me.. Whereever I happened to be - the nearest road on land.  

I have my doubts about that working....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 164 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:

Wouldn’t work for me!
    duckmanJR said:

You have to entice her.  Tell her if she runs it out, she doesn't have to cook dinner that night or even mow the lawn the next day.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,155 AG
    duckmanJR said:

You have to entice her.  Tell her if she runs it out, she doesn't have to cook dinner that night or even mow the lawn the next day.
    Some of us that drive 90+ miles to the boat ramp don't have that luxury.   My wife would just laugh and say "sorry about your luck" and hang up.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,823 Moderator
    You don't need glasses to catch fish!
    smilie_dance.gif
    Have you seen Joe's glasses?
    Yep....like the Hubble space telescope..... LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:

Cook dinner...mow a lawn ?? Your wife does those things ??   You must have a very strong p imp hand...

I think mine did back in the 80's and 90's when there were kids at home...but it has been a long time... 
    Thanks for that trip down memory lane Matt...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I'm divorced. 

LOLLLOLOL
    LOL.... 

You know if this was that other site...I'd be asking for pics of the ex...LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    edited May 7 #16
    Oh, she was hot af.  I'm not going to marry just any random crazy b**ch.  She has to have something going for her.
  • GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Question for ya duckman... if you could lump it into a percentage, what do you think it would be as far as fish that you've sightcasted for your slams? It seems like you consistantly throw plastics. Are you ever blindcasting on your trips?
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 164 Deckhand
    If he doesn’t have his glasses....he is blind casting 100%!

sorry duck...couldn’t resist!
    If he doesn’t have his glasses....he is blind casting 100%!

sorry duck...couldn’t resist!
    Ouch....LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Question for ya duckman... if you could lump it into a percentage, what do you think it would be as far as fish that you've sightcasted for your slams? It seems like you consistantly throw plastics. Are you ever blindcasting on your trips?
    Hmmm, That's kinda tough... As a straight percentage anyway.

My typical morning starts with blind casting for snook. Then, a shift in spots to catch a trout. If a Redfish was not secured early while snook fishing....and the trout is put away quickly...but it is still too early ( about 8 am now) for sight fishing... then I switch back to Redfish spots throwing plastic till visibility improves.

When I can see, I prefer to search out a Redfish with a small finger mullet. The reason is two fold. First, Redfish like to eat them...as do snook & Trout. And secondly, As I have some "old man" problems like tennis (fishing ) elbow and rotator cuff pain coupled with a broken right wrist that never healed quite right...It allows me to stop the repetitive casting and just keep my arm / rod at my side allowing the mullet to swim as we move along.....then a little flip cast. It really saves my arm.

Some days like yesterday it was 100% plastic....but most days the live bait is what seals the deal on a Redfish...Hope that kinda answers your question.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 109 Deckhand
    it certainly does, thank you. i fish out of kayaks in the river, so between the crappy water and my lower viewpoint ( even standing) im not too successful when i comes to sightcasting. i asked because im trying to fish plastics alot more, but im lacking the patience to throw them all day. 
    Well, the other disadvantage you are fighting against is less mobility.
    In a normal morning I may cover 6 - 10 miles of river or more.
    It is important to stay on top of " good conditions " ( Bait,  clean/cleaner water,  tide state etc) 
    That may be very hard in a kayak. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Oh....and today was an "all plastic" slam early...6:47 AM  
    Added a few more with a good snook and Red on bait. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • PhattkoppPhattkopp Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    Where you been Bad Brad? ..... Retirement being good to ya'?  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    IT IS AMAZING!!! B) 

(The wife asked what I was laughing so hard about when I read the eyeglasses comment!)  
    :p 
    Tell her she should have married a man who catches Redfish...they're delicious...  :dizzy:

You still in town? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Been chasing turkeys ALL OVER, hope to catch a ride in your skiff the end of this month!!