Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

New guy with questions.....

Reel_HighReel_High DelandPosts: 5 Greenhorn
edited May 2019 in General Paddle Craft #1
Anyone here run a catch bag in the kayak to eliminate the carrying a cooler?  Any help with a good quality one that you can reccomend would be great.  Also I got into the kayak fishing because my 5yr old son decided one day he wanted to have a kayak and he loves to fish.  Good combo, so here we are.  I fish mosquito lagoon area on New Smyrna side but have been wanting to fish the flats near Titusville with him.  Any good places to launch closer to fishing as I dont know that area well and have limited info to goo off of.  We go just for fun not super high tech as its for a 5yr old and to keep him off video games.  His first trout. lol.  I got a simple vibe yellowfin 130t and have his little seat right infront of me as he gets jumpy lol.  I have since got him a harmony kids seat that I can keep close to me.  He wants to cook his fish and thats why im asking.  I love the site and everyone seems pretty knowlegable here.

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    edited May 2019 #2
    Reel_High said:
    Anyone here run a catch bag in the kayak to eliminate the carrying a cooler?  Any help with a good quality one that you can reccomend would be great.  Also I got into the kayak fishing because my 5yr old son decided one day he wanted to have a kayak and he loves to fish.  
    It is an incredible bag. It is a Reliable large bag.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 182 Deckhand
    edited May 2019 #3
    Hobie has triangular catch bags that fit nicely in the bow. I think there's two sizes...I have one that fits inside the bow hatch nicely so it takes up absolutely no room in my Revo. I can fit an 8lb bag of ice,a bottle of Gatorade,a limit of trout and a slot red. 8lbs will last most if not all day.

(edit) 3 sizes. I have the medium. 26qt. I bought it "never used" from a kayaker who won it in a tourney...I didn't realize what a great deal I got: they're pricy.
    Hobie bags are made by reliable and cost more for the Hobie name!

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Reel_HighReel_High DelandPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    awesome thank you im going to check them out now.
  • krashkrash Posts: 799 Officer
    I have one I never use that I'd part with, if you are in the Ft. Lauderdale area...Its a CFS, new condition never used, I've had it  a few years its triangular 42'x20'x6" made by CFS for kayak/canoes.

It could be yours for lets say $50.00
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    thank you for the offer krash i actually have one ordered that is being shipped as i type this.  i wish i had seen yours first i would have picked that up.  

Reel_High said:
    thank you for the offer krash i actually have one ordered that is being shipped as i type this.  i wish i had seen yours first i would have picked that up.  

So which one did you order?

I got the medium bag.  seemed large enough.  i had seen a floating cooler shaped like an outrigger i was curious about but i stayed safe and went with what was reccomended.  they are high priced but as long as it works he will be happy.  
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 182 Deckhand
    Wow - even Reliable's "kayak catch bag" - 36"X20"X8" - is pricey. I've got the Hobie branded bag but Reliable's is almost $180...I paid $50 and wouldn't have paid $180 at the time. Now that I know how nice they are - if I lost this one I sure would pay full cost to replace it.