Anywhere to buy shiners in Orlando?

My girlfriend just moved within 1 block of Lake Underhill (The lake at the Executive Orlando Airport).  I've learned it is part of the Fab five and is full of big catch and release bass.  

I've been wanting to try my luck.  I see many people mention using live shiners for big bass.  I have not been able to find anything to mention where to find them?  

When I do a search stuff like Ace Hardwares come up.  And the newest posts I can find on these forums are from 2012.

Does anyone know where to find Shiners anywhere near Conway or Winter Park?  I know I could ride to Ocoee but I would rather if there was something closer.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,840 Captain
    edited May 3 #2
    Bitters bait and tackle in longwood/casselberry has them. Some Ace hardware have them, mine doesn't and just has worms. So call a few before you go to see if they have shiners. You're in the middle of the city trying to fish the ski lakes....might have to drive a little
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,164 AG
    or.....you could throw big lures... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 742 Officer
    This one seems to be the closest to you , call them and see http://toolesacehardware.com/locations/conway-ace-hardware/
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    The lake is probably loaded with wild shiners. Get you a short cane pole, 6# line, small float, BB shot,and a #14 hook. Chum with stale bread or oatmeal and use canned biscuit dough for bait. Bet you can catch them right where you are wanting to Bass fish.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 794 Officer
    Ace Hardware at Curry Ford and Conway sells shiners, so does the Ace on South Orange Avenue. Otherwise you’re driving a ways. 
    Are they still like $22 a dz....?? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Cracker23 said:
    The lake is probably loaded with wild shiners. Get you a short cane pole, 6# line, small float, BB shot,and a #14 hook. Chum with stale bread or oatmeal and use canned biscuit dough for bait. Bet you can catch them right where you are wanting to Bass fish.
    This will work... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Most of the lakes in central Florida with a public ramp have been beat to death by people catching bait commercially, especially this time of year. The smaller City lakes are generally loaded with shiners and are easy to catch.
  • jwroejwroe Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Cracker23 said:
    Awesome tip.  Thanks for letting me know.  I'm planning on taking my bait rod that I use for catching for bait in the gulf.  I'm pretty sure its 6# and super light weight.  

Ace Hardware at Curry Ford and Conway sells shiners. Otherwise you’re driving a ways. 
    This is awesome.  We've actually been in this Ace a few times but I didn't notice any bait.  If this is true,  she lives about 1/2 a mile from here so I will definitely check it out.  They must have a shiner tank outside.  Ill give them a call next time I'm in town.

Cracker23 said:
    Most of the lakes in central Florida with a public ramp have been beat to death by people catching bait commercially, especially this time of year. The smaller City lakes are generally loaded with shiners and are easy to catch.
    This is an interesting fact I had not thought of.  So the road she is on dead ends on another lake called Giles (?) I think.  It's a private lake and I have seen life in it just observing.  No public ramps or anything other than the houses that live on the lake.  I'm planning on trying to fish it as well as it looks fishy.  I'm hoping that the fact that it's private means there is minimal pressure on it as well.  

I shall see.
    You will have better luck with a fishing pole. The dough ball won't stay on the hook casting with a bait rod. You want the dough ball soft, so soft that it falls off the hook when you pull it in.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 794 Officer
    The bait at Ace in the the back room. You have to ask for it. 
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 594 Officer
    Thrre is a 
    Dollar stpte on foresy city road just north of edgewater
    They have live minnows maybe shiners
  • rwatersrwaters Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    I grew up in Orlando and would have never considered Lake Underhill a good fishing lake. We fished everywhere we could get into and would consider Pineloch or Jennie Jewel great when we were not on Conway. I am curious to see how you do. Good Luck    
  • jwroejwroe Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    The bait at Ace in the the back room. You have to ask for it. 
    Awesome, this is perfect.  I will definitely check it out next time i'm in town.  I'm gonna try to find a cheap kayak or Paddle boat just to bum around the lakes. I've never Bass fished before so I'm keen to try it.  Always just fished Big Bend area.  I'm guess its gonna be similar to catching Sea Trout.  
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 185 Deckhand
    It has been awhile, but I used to catch all the shiners I wanted out of Lake Eola in downtown.  On the north side of the lake there is a square chain link fenced area that surrounds a storm drain.  It is like 8' by 8'.  The school of shiners was always thick inside the chained area I always assumed they were staying away from predators.  We would catch a couple dozen and head over to Lake Ivanhoe.  We never caught any bass in Eola so I may be wrong as to why they liked that spot so much.  Maybe comorants?
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,142 Officer
    The best shiners are wild shiners and in my experience they are much hardier then store bought shiners. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Stick motorStick motor Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    edited May 13 #18

Conway Ace and Orange Ave Ace have domestic shiners,   try to warm the bait water up a little gradually or they will belly up when they hit the warm lake water..  They will work though.

Now for lake Giles... that lake is loaded with stone rollers/bullheads/mud minnows. whatever they call them where your from, bass candy.  You can cast net them at that dead end.  pretty widely known spot for decades.   Its basically the bait store before heading over to lake Underhill      Good luck!