Walker's Cay

TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 962 Officer
edited May 10 in Tropics #1

Happiness is the journey, not the destination.

Replies

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,402 Captain
    Awesome.  First trip to the islands at 16 was to Walker's.  Thanks for posting.  Might want to change that spelling though.  ;)
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,262 Officer
    If you make a mistake on this forum with your title its "Set in Stone" since you are unable to edit the title after its posted.
    Giimoozaabi
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 9,794 Admiral
    Cant wait for it to open. We will be there!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,691 Captain
    Made several trips there always had a good
    time and caught plenty of fish.
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 151 Deckhand
    edited May 8 #6
    Walkers 7/4/1995
    It was day of tremendous highs and lows. On the down side was the fact that we lost a 42 foot sports fish....but on the high side we caught a 20# mutton and what would have been a world record tiger shark on 12#  mono if it didn't take 3 anglers about 3 hours or so to get it  boatside earlier in the day Not joking.

• JustDaveJustDave Jacksonville FlPosts: 157 Deckhand
    Yeah pretty sure that didnt buff out. Hope no one was hurt. 
    1995 Stratos 2500WA Twin 2013 200HO ETECS! 
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Thanks JustDave and thank goodness no one was hurt. The incident erupted at the dock. The owner and his family were at the pool after a quality day of fishing...I was cleaning fish in the cleaning house. As I was walking back to the boat I met up with the owner. There had been an electrical surge on the deck and we did not have an inverter to protect our electrical system. The two of us saw smoke starting to fill our cabin [no exposed flames at the is point] and we rushed onboard and got fire extinguishers but all of a sudden the entire cabin reached its flash point and we couldn't fight the  overwhelming fire. The owner ran to the bow to affix a line and then jumped into the water , I released the stern lines and jumped onto the boat docked next to us. Two  quick thinking local crew members off a charter boat took their dingy and grabbed the line hanging off the bow and pulled the boat out of the basin to the reef. Had the boat remained at the dock it could have set the entire fleet ablaze . There's a lot more to the story...but that's the jest of it.The boat was eventually replaced and no one was hurt.

PS...it might have been 20# mono...it was a long time ago.
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Very excited for Walkers to reopen. We'll be there often
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,527 Admin
    If you make a mistake on this forum with your title its "Set in Stone" since you are unable to edit the title after its posted.
    We have powers you haven't even dreamed of! ;)
    Walkers was wonderful - can't wait to see the new version!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • HyundaifinnHyundaifinn Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    catchemup said:
    Walkers 7/4/1995
    It was day of tremendous highs and lows. On the down side was the fact that we lost a 42 foot sports fish....but on the high side we caught a 20# mutton and what would have been a world record tiger shark on 12#  mono if it didn't take 3 anglers about 3 hours or so to get it  boatside earlier in the day Not joking.

I remember that fire.  Boat burned to the waterline and sat on that reef for quite a while.  Sad sight for sure.