New to Blue Crabbing

Looking to start doing some recreational blue crab trapping in Brevard County from Melbourne to Titusville. I live in Cocoa. I have no experience, no traps, no nothing. Who would you recommend talking to and buying the 5 traps from? Would prefer to stay as local as possible. Thanks

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,714 AG
    You will have traps stolen...... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,551 Captain
    edited May 2 #3
    Whenever I have set traps I'm out all night to pull them first thing and because someone will take them. We either shrimp, fish, gig or hang out to pass the time. Lee Fisher on the internet or look on craigslist or Facebook. Someone's always selling used ones
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Unfortunately both Duck and Teal are correct. As sad as it is a few will either be stolen or left open and empty at some point after you set them if you routinely do it. I used to drop mine before a few rainy or windy days to minimize boat traffic seeing them, always worked better that way.
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 583 Officer
    It is a shame that there are a number of worthless, POS dipsticks that will steal traps as soon as they see those white buoys.  While I wouldn't recommend this (it's probably illegal) I have heard of folks using an old plastic water bottle, or a duck decoy, or one that looks like a seagull, for marks.  They make the trap marker at least look less like a trap.  The best I've heard of is tying a piece of black para-cord to the trap and then a half filled water bottle in the middle of about a 30' length with a good weight on the end of the cord.  With the line tight the bottle should stay under the water - rig it deep enough so that a motor skeg or prop wont catch it.  Then get a good waypoint on your GPS and when you want to pull the trap snag the line with a large weighted treble hook and retrieve.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation now part of Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/

Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 360 Deckhand
    Mostly the commercial guys that steal them.  I've done it for years and now just set them out in areas that I can see.  I fish the area and just keep and  eye on who comes in and out.  Most of your crabs will be in the am.  Great addition to fishing with kids. (checking trap every 45 min always yields in a catch)
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,705 Admiral
    hunterjw said:
    Mostly the commercial guys that steal them.  I've done it for years and now just set them out in areas that I can see.  I fish the area and just keep and  eye on who comes in and out.  Most of your crabs will be in the am.  Great addition to fishing with kids. (checking trap every 45 min always yields in a catch)
    gee, I have a huge problem with rec guys stealing my traps every summer...
    Most of the commercial guys know better than to steal from me.

BTW, every trap I find that isn't properly marked and buoyed, I call FWC and give them the lat/long #'s..

Maybe they seized your traps?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    hunterjw said:
     Nope....Commercial guys know how serious an infraction it is to mess with someones traps...

All the people by me that were caught messing with traps...were recs... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 561 Officer
    It a great world we live it that scum can spend their days on the water stealing other peoples traps (crab and pin fish) and sell the crabs on the side of the road without a license, and I struggle to get time off to go fishing and enjoy life
  • igoswoopigoswoop Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Well, thanks for the warnings. I guess I won’t invest too much on a very expensive set and try to just set them where I can keep an eye on them. Thanks
    edited May 4 #11
    Tip: you want to leave them overnight. You can only pull during daylight hours so this means leaving them or spending the night fishing/shrimping etc. Or get there early to pull your traps in the am. But set them in the evening if you arent gonna stay otherwise they WILL be either emptied or stolen.

Crabs are on the move overnight, not so much during the day, so play that card.......
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 589 Officer
    You cag get the round nets at wally world for like 3 dollars
    Also wire in some sinkers and hooks for bait.they also sell line for them two.
  • MarkiamMarkiam East Orlando Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Check craigslist, a man In Indian Harbour beach makes some good ones for $40-50 each. They work well, are all legal. You need an ID tag on your trap stating name, address. Also have to have a large letter "R" on your buoy. That's so they can tell which one to steal.
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant MelbournePosts: 77 Greenhorn
    I bought one at bass pro and set it up to try it but never did.  Will sell to you for $20
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,705 Admiral
    want to know how to tell if a recreational fisher is a trap thief?

they are in a boat.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    LOL......and....they're off........ 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    ANUMBER1 said:
    hunterjw said:

BTW, every trap I find that isn't properly marked and buoyed, I call FWC and give them the lat/long #'s..

Nice assumptions but no I had them properly marked with the R, name, address etc..

duckmanJR said:
    hunterjw said:
     Nope....Commercial guys know how serious an infraction it is to mess with someones traps...

Def. commercial guys a few of the times based on me fishing in an area and seeing who went by.  Rec guys can't hide a big trap unlike the commercial guys that just stack them on.   Some of the lagoon commercial guys are alright some are def. not. 

Believe it or not they still run gill nets etc out there.
    edited May 7 #18
    hunterjw said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    hunterjw said:

Nice assumptions but no I had them properly marked with the R, name, address etc..

duckmanJR said:
    hunterjw said:

Def. commercial guys a few of the times based on me fishing in an area and seeing who went by.  Rec guys can't hide a big trap unlike the commercial guys that just stack them on.   Some of the lagoon commercial guys are alright some are def. not. 

Believe it or not they still run gill nets etc out there.

Seines or gill nets?
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,201 Officer
    Gill nets - they still do.  I was talking with LEO about it last year.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,201 Officer
    As for crab traps - you can always set them without a float - put 25 feet of sinking rope with a weight on the end, mark on your GPS.  Return in am and pull up.

The amount of folks wandering around in the dark is amazing.
    When did gill netting become legal in the lagoon again?
    Gill netting is not legal.  One of the biggest issues we have is lack of enforcement.  Even LEO could describe the boat when I spoke with them on the phone.

Gotcha. So a criminal is gill netting in the lagoon. Makes a helluva lot more sense bc the orginal comment implied there was legal commercial gill netting going on. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 6,991 Admiral
    In 15 years of fishing the lagoon I've only seen LE on the water once.  It's pathetic.
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 95 Greenhorn
     I can honestly say the last 50 times I’ve fished from Haulover canal North to NSB I’ve only seen coast guards when there is rocket launch. Other than that zero Law on the water.