Home General Fishing

Good Inshore Rods in the mid ranges, recommendations?

WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
Looking for a backup rod, I have some custom, G Loomis, St Croix, etc....just not wanting to drop 300 on a rod, Will probably hand a pflueger reel on it.

What are some good quality rods in the 100-150 range. I like 7' Fast Action, have fished some Shimano Compre's and were impressed. However, wouldn't mind trying something besides a shimano product.

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,959 Captain
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Star Stellar Lite or St. Croix Mojo Inshore
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    cant go wrong with a star rod. and if a star is a little out of your price range check out the star aerial line. they are the same blanks just a more production rod.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    nick wrote: »
    Star or stcroix

I have both, ya cant go wrong however the St Croix is more bucks, the Star cost me around $100, the Star has never let me down. I have 3000 Shimano`s on both. The thing I like is you can fish inshore all day and the ole arm stays with ya unlike throwing a heavier rig, my .02 :thumbsup
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Posts: 3,247 Officer
    I've been using the same Falcon rod (bought at Wal-Mart) for about 5 years. It was right @ $100.00 and has worked fine for me.
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    **** even ugly sticks are good rods for the price. im yet to have one break
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • irlyriserirlyriser Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Check out Crowder rods.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 943 Officer
    I looked recently and was torn between a Redbone, TFO signature series, and a Calico Jack. I setteled for the calico because it was cheaper($49) and spent the extra $$ on my reel. So far very pleased with it. I think I may still pick up a redbone after the holidays, it felt a bit lighter and has a lifetime warranty.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    St Croix Premier or spend a little more and get Avid.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,413 Admiral
    In your price range Tidemaster TIS76MF.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    irlyriser wrote: »
    Check out Crowder rods.

Agree. Sold all my Gloomis stuff and purchased Crowder models ESS708 and ESS768. Priced at retail of $130 +/- they are sweet.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Agree. Sold all my Gloomis stuff and purchased Crowder models ESS708 and ESS768. Priced at retail of $130 +/- they are sweet.

Yep - made in Stuart by people who fish - lifetime no BS warranty - been using 5 of em for 10 years with no complaints
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    I have a Crowder and a Hurricane for inshore and love them both. Crowder was $130 or so and the Hurricane was $110 if I remember correctly, Both are light, have lifetime warranties, and are comfortable to use all day
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • chefie41chefie41 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I just bought 4 Allstar saltwater rods from Academy Sports . Two 7' and two 7'6" /mh fast action for$25.99 each on line . Free shipping plus tax . $106.xx to my door . Have a bunch of older Allstar rods that are great rods but they were USA made . These are Chinese but for the price I can break em and not care . Black Friday Specials .:thumbsup
  • Paul BarnardPaul Barnard Posts: 136 Officer
    I am a big fan of the USA made Falcon coastal and original rods.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,305 Admiral
    I've been using the same Falcon rod (bought at Wal-Mart) for about 5 years. It was right @ $100.00 and has worked fine for me.

Stay clear of Falcon they will not honor their warranties.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman wrote: »
    Stay clear of Falcon they will not honor their warranties.

I have yet to experience a warrantyable failure. I have seen others have theirs replaced under warranty...even when the reel the 10-17# rated line rod had hanging on it was spooled with 50# braid.
    I have yet to experience a warrantyable failure. I have seen others have theirs replaced under warranty...even when the reel the 10-17# rated line rod had hanging on it was spooled with 50# braid.

I bought my son a Falcon Coastal and I ended up breaking it and I contacted them about it. I was informed that they no longer honored the lifetime warranty put out by their father and they would not stand behind it. To make matters worse the warranty says if deemed not to be the fault of the manufacturer then they would replace it for a reduced charge of the original purchase. They did neither, they said they would replace it for a 20% discount off current prices. I argued with them and told them I would post it on the ten fishing forums I was on and it would cost them far more than a whole new rod would. They said they could care less they refuse to warranty the rod period. I said at least you could have humored me and told me to send it in and then said it wasn't a factory defect but they simply refused to even do that. I put it on 10 forums sent them the link and they said they didn't care if I posted it on 100 forums they would not warranty the rod period end of discussion. So I wouldn't buy a Falcon rod if they were the last rod maker left on the planet. I guarantee you it cost them far more just from one post I received on the THT forum. A gentleman was sponsering a youth fishing program and was going to purchase a one time 300 rod purchase from them and he refused because they wouldn't take care of my problem. I sent them his link and he sent them an email stating that exact thing also. So you tell me what you would have done?

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    Crowder Rods, look at the center and bottom. Miss print?

I'm needing to replace a couple of 6.6 Pro Qualifiers spinners for my 2500s.

ESS668CRO-0013 6' 6'' Fast 8-15lb 1/4-5/8 oz Fuji Guides Cork Grip
    Usually ships in 1-2 weeksPrice: USD $120.00
    Add to Wishlist Qty:
    ESS6610CRO-0011 6' 6'' Fast 10-17lb 5/16-1 oz Fuji Guides Cork Grip
    Usually ships in 1-2 weeksPrice: USD $125.00
    Add to Wishlist Qty:
    ESS6612CRO-0012 6' 6'' Fast 12-20lb 1/4-1 oz Fuji Guides Cork Grip
    Usually ships in 1-2 weeksPrice: USD $125.00
  • Justins DadJustins Dad Posts: 3,247 Officer
    I bought my son a Falcon Coastal and I ended up breaking it and I contacted them about it. I was informed that they no longer honored the lifetime warranty put out by their father and they would not stand behind it. To make matters worse the warranty says if deemed not to be the fault of the manufacturer then they would replace it for a reduced charge of the original purchase. They did neither, they said they would replace it for a 20% discount off current prices. I argued with them and told them I would post it on the ten fishing forums I was on and it would cost them far more than a whole new rod would. They said they could care less they refuse to warranty the rod period. I said at least you could have humored me and told me to send it in and then said it wasn't a factory defect but they simply refused to even do that. I put it on 10 forums sent them the link and they said they didn't care if I posted it on 100 forums they would not warranty the rod period end of discussion. So I wouldn't buy a Falcon rod if they were the last rod maker left on the planet. I guarantee you it cost them far more just from one post I received on the THT forum. A gentleman was sponsering a youth fishing program and was going to purchase a one time 300 rod purchase from them and he refused because they wouldn't take care of my problem. I sent them his link and he sent them an email stating that exact thing also. So you tell me what you would have done?
    Coastal XG, Cara, Expert, and Cenderi

This Lifetime Limited Warranty applies to all Falcon rods except Original and LowRider Series rods. Falcon Graphite Rods warrants that your new rod will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for as long as you, the original purchaser, owns the rod. Damage caused by misuse, abuse, and/or normal wear and tear is not covered by this warranty

I would do exactly what you did. They lost some of my favor when they started having stuff made in China. They have lost more of my favor with your story.
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    It is amazing with the economy the way it is that a company doesn't do the right thing. I won't be supporting
    them at all. Most people would've said, oh well. Thanks for not taking the easy way out.
    Coastal XG, Cara, Expert, and Cenderi

This Lifetime Limited Warranty applies to all Falcon rods except Original and LowRider Series rods. Falcon Graphite Rods warrants that your new rod will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for as long as you, the original purchaser, owns the rod. Damage caused by misuse, abuse, and/or normal wear and tear is not covered by this warranty

You don't have to tell me about the warranty. I still have it on my computer desk and that was two years ago. They would not even let me send the rod in for inspection, so good luck with your worthless piece of paper it is written on.

• Long_Live_SnookLong_Live_Snook Posts: 55 Deckhand
    TFO Signature Series rods are G Loomis designed and pretty awesome for 150$ Sold my Avids after trying them.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    I have a 7' Shimano Crucial that I like. However, I bought a 7'6" St. Croix Tidemaster in medium and I think it may be the best rod I have ever owned. Good whippy tip and strong backbone. If I get another rod, I will get this. The Crucial is lighter but the Tidemaster really feels good.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • Capt George GozdzCapt George Gozdz Posts: 630 Officer
    Check out the Fenwick HMG 7' medium fast action spinning rod. I've been using them for at least 4 yrs on charters and love them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Capt. George Gozdz
    Host "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman"
    www.floridasportsman.com/rtfs

Flatlined Charters
    www.flatlinedcharters.com
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,413 Admiral
    I have a 7' Shimano Crucial that I like. However, I bought a 7'6" St. Croix Tidemaster in medium and I think it may be the best rod I have ever owned. Good whippy tip and strong backbone. If I get another rod, I will get this. The Crucial is lighter but the Tidemaster really feels good.

Very durable also.I have two of the Tidemaster 76MF rods and really like them alot , but I love my Avid Inshore 76MF.
    The Mojo Inshore 76MF is right there with the Tidemaster but made in Mexico instead of the Wisconsin , still a fine rod.
    The difference in the freshwater St.Croix's and the saltwater St.Croix's is stainless guides compared to the freshwater aluminum guides , and the saltwater rods are a bit more powerful.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    I saw where he TFO G-Loomis Rod was mentioned, I have one of those MH , I would buy another one, awesome rod for around a $ 100 :Rockon
  • TriguyTriguy Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Check out this site for custom made rods at a very affordable price with a real warranty.

http://www.connleyfishing.com/
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    the extreme rods at bass pro are great rods and go on sale often for 69.99, the new Tsunami air waves are getting great reviews also for about 100