Favorite shotgun lure

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,011 Officer
Well I lost my favorite shot gun lure and teaser bird the last time out.....won't get into the details but let's say me and the "mrs" didn't speak for about 30 mins after a nice mahi broke the line (because she didn't listen - well I'm sure we have all been there).  Anyway, I'm not sure I can replace my favorite stuff that I lost so I thought I'd ask what others are using.  I troll a 6 or 7 line spread, mostly with various ballyhoo combinations.  I'm curious what others run in the shotgun position.  I know some people run a cedar plug, I use to run a teaser then a pink chugger type skirt over a ballyhoo.    Interested to hear what others are running. 

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,155 AG
    what is a shotgun lure?   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 229 Deckhand
    I switch it up, but always like something that makes a little noise back there

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,193 Officer
    5 bird chain followed by an islander with ballyhoo.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,011 Officer
    tunachaser that is an interesting design.  I might give that a try
    what is a shotgun lure?   
    I guess it is better worded as what do you run in the shot gun position.   The one that is way back of the spread.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 546 Officer
    Pink and white seastar islander with ballyhoo way way way way did I say way back. Does the trick every time. O ya rigged with mono 80lb fluorocarbon
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Garysmo said:
    I have a ball bearing snap swivel inside the last little chugger. This way I can switch out the "chase" bait with another lure, ballyhoo, strip or whatever. 
    Frydaddy said:
    Pink and white seastar islander with ballyhoo way way way way did I say way back. Does the trick every time. O ya rigged with mono 80lb fluorocarbon
    I guess you mean way back :) .......the one I lost was pink and it was a good producer as well.   
    Garysmo said:
    I have a ball bearing snap swivel inside the last little chugger. This way I can switch out the "chase" bait with another lure, ballyhoo, strip or whatever. 
    I like the snap swivel idea.....
  • JWPBJWPB West Palm BeachPosts: 221 Deckhand
    My tormenter bird has a swivel so I can swap out baits but I catch everything on silver mylar chugger.   I've fished purple and blue/silver as well.  I fish small bait back there but am told others fish large bait, depends if you want to present a fish chasing a bird or a small bait being left behind the pack.  The latter works for me as I've pulled large split tail mullet back there and watch mahi run away from them. 
    Jupiter 29FS
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 231 Deckhand
    I use a small bird up front followed by a purple Zuker lure. The bird allows me to see where the lure is in the distance.
    The Zuker lure with no ballyhoo doesn't snag a lot of weeds. I also keep the drag very, very light so if it catches a small piece of weed, I know immediately it is dirty.