Fishing/Camping Mosquito Lagoon

I will be primitive camping at the Canaveral National Seashore this weekend. Was wondering if I should camp on the east side or west side of the lagoon. I usually camp on the islands near Lefils Fish Camp (south of the Riverside). This trip I was going to camp on Orange Island (east). I read a lot of sea grass has been lost in the lagoon but some still exists in the northern section. Anyone know if this is true?

I assume topwater in the morning then jerk baits in the afternoon are still the best approach to catching fish? Any help is much appreciated.

Replies

• ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 145 Deckhand
    Yes, much of the grass is gone, but it is still fishable.  I went a few weeks ago and fished the spoil islands on the West side of the lagoon (I came down from Riverside Park) and was able to boat a few trout and blues within half an hour using soft plastics.  There were several campers on the islands.   
  • CharlotteCharlotte Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    How in the world do you stand the no seeums when camping? They just eat us up when we get there early to fish. Seems as though they would make camping miserable...
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 163 Deckhand

Thermacell and Bug Spray, If its windy that helps. ......but wondering if its worth it to make the trip.

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,840 Captain
    Stay north. Still chocolate milk in the south end. I mean that does it for some people on this forum, but I like a healthy habitat. 
  • dwbiggsdwbiggs Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    And if you are camping on one of the islands to the South beware of freak storms and/or Easterly winds.  Don't ask me how I know.  :s
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,155 AG
    dwbiggs said:
    And if you are camping on one of the islands to the South beware of freak storms and/or Easterly winds.  Don't ask me how I know.  :s
    sounds like someone had a wet miserable night one time. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,164 AG
    I'm not sure how far away you are coming from....but the EC is the last place I would go.... if fishing was the primary mission..... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 163 Deckhand
     I’m coming from Jupiter Florida.  I decided to cancel the trip because of the weather.

But I’m curious do you mean mosquito lagoon is the last place you would go fishing or the east side of mosquito lagoon is the last place you go fishing. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,164 AG
    Anywhere in the IR Lagoon / Mosquito lagoon..... It is a degraded cesspool.

The north end ( Volusia county) may be ok....

I would be traveling to the big bend....

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    dwbiggs said:
    sounds like someone had a wet miserable night one time. 
    Yep, had my jon parked on east side of island and around 9 PM a storm blew up and by the time thought to check boat water was splashing over transom and it was already too heavy for me to move.  Had to replace all wiring in boat.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,185 Admiral
    crghss said:
     I’m coming from Jupiter Florida.  I decided to cancel the trip because of the weather.

But I’m curious do you mean mosquito lagoon is the last place you would go fishing or the east side of mosquito lagoon is the last place you go fishing. 

It's disgusting, that's why.  Brown, no grass.   Yeah, there's fish there.  There's also fish in those pay by the hour catfish ditches.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    i wouldn't think of camping anywhere near there without covering myself with deet and having a thermacel upwind, or 10.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Not this time of year.

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,142 Officer
    Watch out for wild crackheads and gator sized mosquitos. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    This one time on one of the IR side waterfowl access roads up north of L Pond, I came across a skinny meth heading receiving oral pleasure from his ginaormous girlfriend/wife/sister.  She was so ugly he had to take her out in the middle of no where to get with here... I had to laugh at that.  
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    That place is sketchy at night. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    Hell that was in the middle of the day.
    I can only imagine what kind of girls he brings out there at night.
    hog hunting is 24hrs :D 
    hog hunting is 24hrs :D 
    Oh my gosh lmao  :D
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,472 AG
    This one time on one of the IR side waterfowl access roads up north of L Pond, I came across a skinny meth heading receiving oral pleasure from his ginaormous girlfriend/wife/sister.  She was so ugly he had to take her out in the middle of no where to get with here... I had to laugh at that.  
    how much?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Art, she's have had to pay me.

And that's saying something because in my drinking days god only knows
    what may have happened.