Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Finally pulled the trigger....

and it's all Bottomtime's fault... After evacuating to his house for hurricanes 3 times in the last 3 years and having the comfort of power when the power was out I told my wife that when we build the house that we will die in I'm putting in a whole house generator too. Well, we moved in the house on February 2nd and today a Cummins RS20AC with ATS will be delivered to my house for the future SIL to install. I did lots of research and had decided on a Generac but when he told me about the RS20AC (he used to work for Cummins) and looking at their reviews and technology I decided on this one.

Blow baby blow, I'll be ready for this season!

If anyone is looking at one I'd give Norwall Power Systems a look for sure.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,290 Officer
    Ive been looking at doing this, too. What’d it set you back and what size did you get? 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    edited April 2019 #3
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • killswitchkillswitch Posts: 112 Deckhand
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    Pretty cool stuff.  My neighbor has a Generac.   Every Sunday at 12 it starts and runs for 15 min.   One Sunday it wouldn't start.  Found a copper fitting underground that had leaked his whole propane tank down. Was neat because he was able to detect the failure before he needed generator in a emergency 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,624 Moderator
    Nice setup. Give us your address so we'll know where to go next time. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

That was nice of you Sun Daze. yes, run it for a while and then turn it off. No need to run it 24/7.

Got the pad poured Sunday and with the help of bottomtime's tractor I set the genset on it yesterday. Took some measurements for the wire I need and will be purchasing it in the next day or so. time to put Austin (Jordon's fiancé) to work! 

I had a Generac transfer switch installed when we built the house that I will be replacing with the Cummins switch. Man, what a difference between the two. The Generac switch weighs about 25lbs and the Cummins is 56. Night and day difference in the guts of each. Not knocking the Generac, didn't realize the difference in the two switches.

Got the transfer switch changed out and the cummins hooked up today. Getting the gas run to it this or next week and we are in business. Future SIL did a fine job with the instillatin.

UPDATE-

We have lost power the last 3 days and the Cummins operated as expected.

Saturday evening while I was at the Bash. Ran a little over 2 hours

Sunday mid day after I got home from said Bash. Ran for almost an hour

Yesterday afternoon while I was not home but sick wife and youngest daughter were. Ran for 30 min.

Frist outage was a blown transformer

Second two were from bad storms in our area. It doesn't take a hurricane to knock our power out, just a good storm with wind. Our lines run through the woods a long ways getting to us.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,837 AG
    Hopefully when i buy the house/property i plan to die on it will have enough room for a camper, if i lose power, i'll move into the camper and use the AC from that thing/generator.    Glad it's working properly for you! 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Micci, that is awesomeness!
    I am pleased to hear your investment is paying for itself.
    That makes it all worth while.
    God, save the South!