4/25 SI Trolling/Dolphin/BIG Cobia

Trolling was a bit slow at first. Weeds were a real problem. Finally found some action later in the morning. Ended up with two small dolphin and a skip jack tuna. Had enough around 12:30. On our way back we found what seemed like an average sized cobia cursing the surface. Pitched him a jig and he immediately took the bait. We didn't realize how big he was until I stuck him with the gaff and struggled to hoist him over the rail. I'm guessing this fish was in the 50-60lb range.

Replies

• beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 899 Officer
    Quality cobia man!!!
    I like to cut those skippies up on the boat and eat them right then and there.

That looks like a 2550 in your last pic.
    Are those 200's or 175's on the back?
  • bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    23T w/175s.
  • MyMicheleMyMichele Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    lol - that averaged-sized cobia sure saved the day - huh?
    how far out were you trolling? I'm curious, because I haven't seen too many mahi showing up inside the stream just yet
    Nice work, Captain!
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Mahi bite on fire. 
    Good fish and studs inside and otherside as well

decent numbers and with some 25 lbs + mixed in

as witnessed at the marina yesterday 

Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 309 Deckhand
    MyMichele said:

I am not a teenager, so just looking for clarification.  Does the "lol" make you more or less of a **** for that comment?
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 309 Deckhand
    bluewater, thank you for the report and congrats on the catch. 
  • ShoNuffNoahShoNuffNoah Edgewater, FLPosts: 88 Greenhorn
    Solid day!  Thanks for the report!
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 255 Deckhand
    How do you like the 23T?  I am thinking of moving up to it in a few years. The 2150 that I have is a tank I could not imagine the 23t. I am thinking a big single what made you go with twin and are you happy with your decision? 
  • bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    po28der, the 23T is a great boat. It's actually my buddy's boat. I also own a 2150. It's a completely different feel than the 2150. He chose twins so he could have the ability to limp back in the event one broke down. Since your asking about the engines, one noticeable difference from my boat is the MPH/RPM. I have a Suzuki 200 V6. At 4000RPM the boat will do ~29mph w/2/3 tank. The 23T has 175 Suzukis and it will do ~25 at 4000RPM w/2/3 tank.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,761 Captain
    Awesome Cobia, Congratulations!
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 128 Deckhand

Thanks for the report, nice cobia. We only managed 4 small peanuts this past weekend.

I have a 23 open contender with twin 175 Zukes on it. At 4000 RPM's I'm getting 38mph with 100 gallons on board.

Love the twins on mine as it gives you the ability to limp home and the extra weight gives it a great ride in open ocean.

• jay825jay825 Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report. Nice big cobia
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 4,402 Captain
    Kim Chi said:
    MyMichele said:

I am not a teenager, so just looking for clarification.  Does the "lol" make you more or less of a **** for that comment?
    Pretty sure he was being sarcastic with the “average” description.  Hence the LOL. 
  • sailfish2sailfish2 Posts: 4,242 Captain
    Love those free swimmers!
    Hoping for better luck next time...... and got it.

WINNING!