Boat Storage on Sanibel?

I'll be on Sanibel in July and thought about taking my boat for the first time now that I have a flats boat. The condo we stay at won't allow trailer parking so I thought about storing the boat in a slip somewhere. Would it be bad to have the boat sitting in the water for a week? Personally, it makes me nervous but I'm not sure if I should be or not. If I don't rent a slip where would be a good place to store it? Or should I just not bother and rent a boat instead? I wanted to do some fishing but we also wanted to run around to some of the islands and maybe grab a burger on Cabbage Key.

Now that I think about it...even if I have the boat in a slip I still have to store the trailer somewhere.

Replies

• duckduckgoosduckduckgoos Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    We have kept a boat at Jensen’s Marina on Captiva several times. They are great folks and have treated us very well. 
  • dcrdcr Posts: 350 Deckhand
    I don't know if they'll let you park your trailer overnight, but give Castaways Marina a call.  It should be just a little bit closer to you than Jensen's. 
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,831 Captain
    Before I moved to the island I would always bring my flats skiff down and left it in the water for up to 10 days at castaways marina. They will let you store your trailer for the whole time as well.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,831 Captain
    Also keep in mind that if you leave it in the water it will grow barnacles after just 3 days. I solved this by pulling up to a sandy area less than a few feet deep getting out and wipe the hull down with a wet rag every few days.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,990 Moderator
    Scminnow said:
    Before I moved to the island I would always bring my flats skiff down and left it in the water for up to 10 days at castaways marina. They will let you store your trailer for the whole time as well.
    Thanks! I will give them a call. However, the mention of barnacles on a new boat kind of freaks me out.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 478 Deckhand
    In all the years I’ve been going to Sanibel I never once thought about dragging the boat down. The condo we rent is right on the beach so I just beach fish every day and night. Gotten in to some big snook, pompano, and some big sharks and Sawfish at night. 
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,990 Moderator
    I talked to one of the bait stores today and they have boat storage in the back so I am planning to leave it there since it's on the way to the ramp. My only concern is that they don't have water available so I won't be able to rinse things unless I can get close enough to a hose spigot at my condo. I think it'll be ok for a week though since I was originally considering leaving it in the water for that time.