Friday's Quick/Late Report

Went with my friend Matt on Friday. Got to my spot around noon. Water was low, but coming in with HT around 2:20pm. Water was clear and in the low 80s. Wind was pretty strong out of the South all day. We fished it hard till about 7pm. I ended up catching 22 snook with the largest around 23" and a decent mid-slot red of 24.5". Matt ended up with 9 snook with the largest being 24". His first fish was a red that also came in at 24.5". We saw some big snook and pretty nice reds cruising, but they were skittish. It was a pretty good day.

Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 275 Deckhand
    killing it! nice job.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Thanks remo.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,153 AG
    edited April 23 #4
    Nice work!

If you don't mind my asking, what bait or lure were you using?

edited April 23 #5
    Thanks T. I use a small 3" soft plastic paddletail called a Rip Tide Mullet. It is made by Culprit. I mostly use the colors called Shadflash Shad, Smoke Gold Halo and Smoke Silver Shad. All are excellent colors. The bait is so realistic looking and the tail action is excellent with a tight wiggle. I pair that with an unpainted 1/16 oz Mission Fishing jighead. I have found this combination to be extremely effective, especially in shallow water and on the flats.
     The 4" mullets are also excellent, but I like to use them when fishing docks, bridges and deeper water. I pair those with an 1/8 to 1/4 oz Bass Assassin jig head.
    You get 12 of the 3" baits or 8 of the 4" baits for $5.29. You can find them at the link below.

https://culprit.com/shop/3-riptide-mullet/
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 702 Officer
    Pretty reds BA! When I used to bass fish the only plastic worms I used were culprit. Black with a red or gold tail.
    Thanks lukky. I was a Culprit guy too. They make good baits.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,313 Captain
    Fantastic! 
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 194 Deckhand
    Excellent post and information as always Dave.  I'm still not having the success you have using jigs, but I do get my share on topwater.  So to add to the conversation if you don't mind... how do you retrieve the jigs?  I'd appreciate it if you would be willing to share... thanks   GC
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
    edited April 26 #10
    Thanks GC. It is a pretty simple retrieve. I cast it out and reel it in. That's pretty much it. The speed of the retrieve depends on the depth. If it is say 1.5' feet deep or less, I am reeling it in at a pretty decent clip, not burning it in, but keeping it about 6-8" from the bottom.  The deeper the water is, the slower I am reeling it. Fish are lazy and want to expend the least amount of energy possible. I let the lure and tail action do the work. Try to make your lure look as natural as possile. Too much erratic action turns fish off imo. I believe they think that is not natural and is not worth the effort.
    I hold my rod to the side in either the 10am or 2pm position with my rod tip pretty low to the water. I don't like holding it straight in front of me as I get a better feel for my lure holding it to the side and down near the water. As I have written before, fish are often following your lure....like a cat waiting to pounce. I often envision a fish following my lure and I pop my rod tip back towards me on every cast, sometimes twice. This action will often entice a fish following the bait to bite. The lure's flight response to a fish following it is natural and makes a difference. Another technique is to just stop reeling and let it fall, sometimes to the bottom. Redfish love to pin bait to the bottom and inhale them. Fish will hit when it drops in the water column,  hits the bottom or when you begin your retrieve again after the pause. The change in direction, both up and down, can provoke a fish to strike. 
    Here is another technique to try for when you are fishing very clear water. I use a 4" mullet or any paddletail that has good tail action with a heavier jig head. I will make a long cast and reel it very quickly back to the boat. It doesn't give a fish waiting in ambush the opportunity to think about it. They have to strike now or miss out on a tasty morsel. Always make sure your paddletail is rigged perfectly straight on the jig head. A paddletail swimming on its side or rolling over on the retrieve is no bueno. 
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 194 Deckhand
    Dave,
      Thank you again for the very informative post.  These are a couple techniques that I have definitely not tried before.  I've always used jigs with a slow retrieve but a definite jigging action, thinking that the rise and fall is realistic.  thinking about your post though, and the jig types you use, I see how a steady retrieve coupled with just a couple motion changes, could make a more realistic presentation.  It looks like I've got some changes to make.  Will let you know how it goes!  GC
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak