Tips on a keeping a new boat looking new?

RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,485 Officer
Purchasing a new bay boat next week....the last new boat I purchased was in 2000, I'm sure a lot has changed.  I want to keep in looking new. Help me lay out a regiment please.  Thanks!

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,816 Captain
    First thing buy a boat cover .
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,431 Officer
    You want to keep it looking new. Park it inside and never use it. 
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,485 Officer
    Thanks...I have a lot to work with - cover and don't use
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,872 AG
    cover definitely.   Wax twice a year.   Keep the sun off as much as possible.   Wash it before you take it out and again when you get back.   no bleach.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 522 Officer
    Wash it every time you take it out, apply a  protective polymer polish at least once per season to protect against UV and enhance shine. Keep it covered if possible between uses. (but make sure covering doesn't lead to mildew by ensuring some amount of ventilation)
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,485 Officer
    Thanks! definitely purchasing a cover...I do wash my boats before and after. I'll get some polymer polish.

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,816 Captain
    cover definitely.   Wax twice a year.   Keep the sun off as much as possible.   Wash it before you take it out and again when you get back.   no bleach.    
    YEP i hate to fish in a dirty boat.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,872 AG
    YEP i hate to fish in a dirty boat.
    i'd like to agree with you, and i wash my boat before i take it out but i swear 15 minutes in there's cut bait all over the place squid guts on the cooler, a hook somewhere looking to stab someone and a knife floating around free range.   

Granted it's a new to me boat and  i need to get some stowage figured out but it seems like the boat is never clean when we're fishing on it.   last time when we got back we found a car wash and i just swiped the card and for about 12 minutes we hit it with the foam brush top bottom front back side side then high pressure rinse.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.