Florida Registration vs Federal Documentation

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 723 Officer
I recently purchased a 2019 Cobia 301 and it was registered by the marina in Florida.  I'm now questioning if that was correct or if I should have pursued Federal Documentation?  The boat will be used primarily in Southeast Florida with trips to the Bahamas.  Is the Federal Documentation process worth it either because of on-going registration fees or because it is better?  Interested to hear what others do or have done and why?

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 723 Officer
    After a bit more reading it sounds like the Federal Documentation is optional.  The boat is for recreation and it weighs less than 5 gross tons.  Curious what others are doing.............
  • DazDaz Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    If you're less than five net tons then it's irrelevant - That's the minimum for documentation.  Also, if you're in FL you won't save any money, in fact you'll spend more.  Documentation application is $133 and annual renewals are $26 - PLUS you'll still have to pay FL registration fees and display an annual FL registration sticker (but no FL numbers).

My big sailboat is documented but it's a cruiser that goes to multiple countries and for that documentation is a plus.
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter